Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about filter on medium format and digital  (Read 1755 times)

bambanx

Question about filter on medium format and digital
« on: July 11, 2015, 04:09:23 pm »

Hello guys i use a nikon d800 but i ordered a hasslblad 500 cm, never i used filters but i want to buy a few, the filters for film are the same for the digitals? i mean filters like color balancers or nd graduated ..., how do you  hand the color when do you use filters, for example on a digital camera the white balance ? and in film i need buy filters does not affect white balance ? liek this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/491473-REG/LEE_Filters_9NDG_4x4_Neutral_Density_ND.html   ?

Thanks very much and sorry for my bad english.

gagemanning

Re: Question about filter on medium format and digital
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 07:02:43 pm »

Hello.  Me personally, I've never notice a problem with white balance when using graduated filers.  I've shot with a Leica S for some time (currently switching to Phase One) and have used Schneider 4 x 4 (4mm) glass filters.  I would highly recommend because they are difficult to break and easy to clean dust (I hate resin coated filters).  I typically keep a .9 and 1.2 grad filter with me.  Here is a link where you can buy them (you can find them on B&H photo also).

http://leicastoremiami.com/collections/4-filter-system

Gage

Smoothjazz

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 09:40:37 pm »

I just started using the Lee Graduated resin filters on my medium format camera, and the color shift is very significant. The glass filters may be a better solution. Do you find they are color neutral? Thanks for your input.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 04:54:55 am »

I think the OP is asking more about filters for film on his "new" 500c/m in comparison to digital.

Colour balance on C41 negative colour is handled in printing/scanning so no white balance on lens is required*, previously in film days the filters were colour balance, and both "warming" and "cooling" were/are made. They are available for E6 reversal film, (where the colour balance is fixed at exposure) which regrettably is a casualty of digital and more limited in range than it was.
In B/W the filters work on camera the way the sliders do in post digital conversions.,yellow/red etc.
An ND filter that affects colour balance on negative colour film can be corrected in printing/scanning. A graduate one that is affecting balance will require more work post digitalising.

* Note tungsten balance colour film is available as are conversion filters to shoot that in daylight.

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 11:35:58 am »

It's been my experience that even if Graduated ND filters start off dead neutral, they discolor with age.  I had some 15 year old ones that were noticeably more red as the ND became heavier.  Happily, if you do a Lens Cast Calibration with the filter in place, it will totally correct the problem.

CB
Pages: [1]   Go Up