Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..  (Read 28184 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2015, 09:54:24 am »

Sandy, I have read what you have said. Lr IS seeing the "20130317 Jeff and Pauline Venning 3" profile. However, THAT is not the profile that was embedded. This is I think where the bug is. I am setting the profile as "5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile", I run Update Dng Previews and metadata which should embed that profile, NOT the venning profile!
Try using a different profile than 5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile. Indeed, the profile embedded into the document Sandy and I have is embedded with Jeff and Pauline Venning 3. You might want to move that profile too, then try the test again. Let's see what gets sucked into the DNG and (what I consider another bug), what profile gets selected on another machine.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Onslow

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2015, 12:23:06 am »

Andrew, thanks for that. I have performed 2 similar tests. Using this original raw and not tampered with in any way. I performed the following.
Test #1
1)     I copied the raw CR2 file to my #1 machine.
2)     I imported into LR6.1 with my deault import settings of the 5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile being set as well as minor presence settings. As part of the import it performs the Convert to Dng.
3)     I copied the file to #2 Machine and checked the Profile. The profile was incorrect.
4)     Then, on #1Machine I ran the Update Dng Previews And Metadata command.
5)     I transferred the dng to #2 machine. The profile was incorrect.

Test #2
1)     I copied the raw CR2 file to my #1 machine.
2)     I imported into LR6.1 with my deault import settings of the 5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile being set as well as minor presence settings. As part of the import it performs the Convert to Dng.
3)     I copied the file to #2 Machine and checked the Profile. The profile was incorrect.
4)     Then, on #1Machine I Held down the Shift Key and double clicked the whites and blacks sliders to set the black and white clipping points. I ran the Update Dng Previews And Metadata command.
5)     I transferred the dng to #2 machine. The profile was correct!. It read 5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile as it should have.

This seems then that if no exposure adjustments are made to the file before running the Update Dng Previews and Metadata command, that the profile is not correctly embedded in the dng. If exposure adjustments are made, then the profile is embedded correctly.
It would seem then that people should be able to replicate this result by trying it for themselves. Would you agree?
Cheers

Onslow

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2015, 10:20:40 am »

This seems then that if no exposure adjustments are made to the file before running the Update Dng Previews and Metadata command, that the profile is not correctly embedded in the dng. If exposure adjustments are made, then the profile is embedded correctly.
It would seem then that people should be able to replicate this result by trying it for themselves. Would you agree?
Yes but checking that any update to an adjustment, not just exposure, changes the testing. Also, I think there are at least two bugs here. One, the inability of the correct profile to 'stick' or be assigned unless you apply an edit and two, that moving to another machine doesn't call the correct "assigned" profile from the previous machine.

I emailed Eric Chan at Adobe about issue #2 but haven't heard back.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

sandymc

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2015, 10:29:29 am »

One, the inability of the correct profile to 'stick' or be assigned unless you apply an edit and two, that moving to another machine doesn't call the correct "assigned" profile from the previous machine.

I'd think those are the same bug - on the same machine, the catalog data would give the appearance of the profile sticking.

Sandy

Onslow

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2015, 09:07:39 pm »

Yes but checking that any update to an adjustment, not just exposure, changes the testing. Also, I think there are at least two bugs here. One, the inability of the correct profile to 'stick' or be assigned unless you apply an edit and two, that moving to another machine doesn't call the correct "assigned" profile from the previous machine.

I emailed Eric Chan at Adobe about issue #2 but haven't heard back.
Thanks for emailing Eric Chan re this Andrew. I have tried to fill out a bug report for this but the system sends me in circles unfortunately.
Cheers

Onslow
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up