Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1 Display 2 and Retina Macbook Software? What works well?  (Read 1635 times)

joshcali

i1 Display 2 and Retina Macbook Software? What works well?
« on: July 10, 2015, 05:32:29 pm »

Hi All!
 For years I thought I couldn't use my eye-one display 2 because the company told me they did not support the latest machines...

I've just been you can use the eye-one display 2 with other softwares! (yeah, please don't tease me too hard for not finding out sooner).

So here's my questions...

1- is Argyll + DispcalGUI the best solution for retina MacBooks? or is there something better I should use?

2- will my eye-one display 2 still work ok? or does the sensor somehow fade over time? (I've kept it in it's box for like the last 3 or 4 years).

3- is there another software I should use for my girlfriend's laptop? (she's on windows 8.1)

4- The crazy question... I'm sure the answer is no on this one, but I wanted to check... is there a way to use the i1d2 to make printer profiles? it's a totally other system, right? (I just want to make sure I'm not ignorant of some crazy hack before I buy a paper profiling system).

thank you!!!!!
I was about to go buy a new color calibration system, and this may just work instead!

howardm

Re: i1 Display 2 and Retina Macbook Software? What works well?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 05:58:12 pm »

Hi All!
 For years I thought I couldn't use my eye-one display 2 because the company told me they did not support the latest machines...

I've just been you can use the eye-one display 2 with other softwares! (yeah, please don't tease me too hard for not finding out sooner).

So here's my questions...

1- is Argyll + DispcalGUI the best solution for retina MacBooks? or is there something better I should use?

Argyll is free so that's the big win and it's very good.  Everything else is $$ (such as BasICColor Display)

I dont think the i1D2 is 'tuned' for LED backlight technology (vs. the older CCFL) so it may produce a crappy profile.

2- will my eye-one display 2 still work ok? or does the sensor somehow fade over time? (I've kept it in it's box for like the last 3 or 4 years).

It may fade (the internal filters are made of plastic and known to fade after N years).  Try it!

3- is there another software I should use for my girlfriend's laptop? (she's on windows 8.1)

Could use Argyll there too.

4- The crazy question... I'm sure the answer is no on this one, but I wanted to check... is there a way to use the i1d2 to make printer profiles? it's a totally other system, right? (I just want to make sure I'm not ignorant of some crazy hack before I buy a paper profiling system).

Nope.  But then ask yourself 'if I can get a profile made for $30, how many would I have to have made before buying a decent profiling system becomes worthwhile?'  (the cheapest paper profile solution is around $400 and you really dont want the Datacolor Spyderprint).

thank you!!!!!
I was about to go buy a new color calibration system, and this may just work instead!

rubencarmona

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 09:44:57 am »

What's wrong with the Spyderprint? I ask because I am using one myself and already created some profiles with it with no concerns. Is there something I should know? :-)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 09:51:45 am »

is there a way to use the i1d2 to make printer profiles?
No, it's only use is for calibration and profiling a display system.
Get a ColorMunki to do both (or spend more for an i1Pro-2 Spectrophotometer).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up