Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big problems with z3100  (Read 6459 times)

Xor

Big problems with z3100
« on: July 10, 2015, 02:15:46 pm »

hello,
First of all, sorry for my terrible English (i'm from Russia)
Almost 2 months ago I buy very used hp z3100. First 20-30 prints very amazing, but then...
Carriage belt was destroyed. Printer was filled with small pieces of belt. Ok, i bought new (3-rd party) and replaced it (thanks to SM and youtube). Started printer, calibration was ok. Printed 2 sheets, and suddenly noticed that print filled with gray inks. I pressed Stop, carriage stoped in the middle and printer tell me about paper jam (but there was no jam).
I turned it off and on, and got error "EG printhead is dead, replace"
Today i got parcel from USA with all heads, and replace eg head without any success. I tried again and again, sometimes printer showed that other heads dead too. As a result - no errors with other heads, but it still donesnt see new GE head.
Whats wrong with this printer? How can i fix it?

Xor

Re: Big problems with z3100
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 02:29:11 am »

Today I tried to run diagnostic tests
I start Carriage Assembly test and got 79:04 error. Any suggestions?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 05:33:08 am »

I have the service manual it says...

Assertion (uncontrolled FW error)
Recoverable Firmware Error]
79:YZ
Generic Firmware error. Try the following:
Switch the Power OFF from the back of the Printer and disconnect the Power cord. Reconnect the power cord and power On the Printer.
Check that the Printer has the latest Firmware version. If not, update the Firmware to the latest version.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Xor

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 06:52:04 am »

What is the latest version and what it the easiest way to update firmware? Can I do this via USB?
A lot of cartridges and some heads are out of warranty, I hope they will not be blocked with new firmware?

Nora_nor

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 01:27:01 pm »

You can update firmware via usb.
Expired inks should still work, I think. We have an z2100 which works with expired inks just fine.
The belt breaking in little pieces is a known problem

Xor

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 04:22:57 am »

Cannot update firmware. Trying usb and ethernet, HP Utility and Web center.
I can access to menu from front panel of the printer, can do almost all, except printing)
It is not ready cause of GE printhead. I tried to move chip from bad GE ph to working ph (MY) without any success.
I opened carriage assembly and was looking at PCA about 10 minutes, but didn't find anything strange.

By the way, damaged GE ph looking really burned.
Take a look:

Can it be the reason of something of printers components were damaged?

Xor

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 05:24:10 am »

Breaking news!)

Run Carriage test one more time, and get 02.1:10 "Fail to read pen voltage"

Nora_nor

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 07:32:40 am »

On the z2100 one has to update firmware via the web server in the printer, forgot the name, but we also had problems and the network connection was better than usb. I remembered that now.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 09:19:19 am »

hello,
First of all, sorry for my terrible English (i'm from Russia)
Almost 2 months ago I buy very used hp z3100. First 20-30 prints very amazing, but then...
Carriage belt was destroyed. Printer was filled with small pieces of belt. Ok, i bought new (3-rd party) and replaced it (thanks to SM and youtube). Started printer, calibration was ok. Printed 2 sheets, and suddenly noticed that print filled with gray inks. I pressed Stop, carriage stoped in the middle and printer tell me about paper jam (but there was no jam).
I turned it off and on, and got error "EG printhead is dead, replace"
Today i got parcel from USA with all heads, and replace eg head without any success. I tried again and again, sometimes printer showed that other heads dead too. As a result - no errors with other heads, but it still donesnt see new GE head.
Whats wrong with this printer? How can i fix it?

First, try this:

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=85971.0

Second, you'd be way ahead to just buy all new printheads m(not sure if that's what you said you did).  Unplug, start and restart many times, unplugging between starts.  Sometimes it just magically reboots correctly doing this.

Checking the connection on the printhead carriage is a good idea.

Run printhead diagnostic charts and do head cleanings.  Keep working with it and eventually you might force-flow ink into the printheads.  Let your diagnostic images be your guide.

PRINTHEADS

Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

deanwork

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 11:10:53 am »

Has anyone ever seen a burned printhead like that on a Z? That's really odd. Sounds like some kind of voltage surge or something. That wold concern me, not to make you paranoid..

If you get the printer functioning the belt replacement is doable with the youtube video. I've found the new belts last a lot longer than what they used in the beginning. Mine has going for many years and looks great.

john

Nora_nor

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 01:11:23 pm »

Nora_nor

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 07:45:11 am »

I have a z2100 question: I  read here in the link above that one should uninstall the old driver etc and install the driver again after a firmware update.

Now I did install the new firmware, and the driver is acting up anyway, so I will run the uninstall thing.
But the next question is that my sister who is using this z2100 too, does she need to uninstall and re-install the driver and hp print utility too? It sound s like that to me

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 10:39:15 am »

Depending on what operating system you are using, just installing the new HP software over the top of what's there should do the trick.  The uninstall pertained to earlier versions, plus installing software for two Z series printers. 

Just try the install and see how it goes.  It should be fine.

If you have problems, you can always go back to the software wipe.  At this point I don't recommend doing that first. 

(Hard to keep up with the changes HP makes in addition to the iterative updates of the software engineers, both Mac and Windows.)

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Xor

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 06:04:42 am »

Well, guys, some news about my Z3100.
HP service engineer visited my office last week, but couldn't help me. He had no ideas about this problem. Waste of money ($100)
Today I got new Carriage PCA board ($100), replace it and....
Got the same error!
But there was some differences.
This time printer told that B-GN printhead damaged, but after removing it from carriage it told that E-G and PK-LG printheads are damaged.
Any ideas?

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 03:12:20 pm »

Well, guys, some news about my Z3100.
HP service engineer visited my office last week, but couldn't help me. He had no ideas about this problem. Waste of money ($100)
Today I got new Carriage PCA board ($100), replace it and....
Got the same error!
But there was some differences.
This time printer told that B-GN printhead damaged, but after removing it from carriage it told that E-G and PK-LG printheads are damaged.
Any ideas?

A few ideas:

Go back and clean ALL contacts on the printheads themselves and where they plug in.

If you have any cartridges that are low, replace them.  Sometimes this works, don't know why.

Good luck
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up