Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson and Canon and HP large format printers a ?  (Read 2360 times)

dseelig

Epson and Canon and HP large format printers a ?
« on: July 09, 2015, 08:58:25 pm »

So I keep reading about the head clogs in both Canon and Epson why are people not going to HP Z 3200 am i missing something is the quality that much better?  In 9 years or so I have spent a 100 bucks and that is it on new heads on my 3100 and on my z 3200 I bought used no troubles after getting a thorough cleaning  thanks David

hugowolf

Re: Epson and Canon and HP large format printers a ?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 09:14:38 pm »

I haven’t heard much in the way of head clogging with large format Canon printers, and for Epson it is only some of the range.

But there are many other considerations, including dithering, gamut, bronzing, gloss differential, scuff resistance, Dmax, tonal graduation, and longevity. That last of which both Canon and HP have better reports than Epson, but not so for the rest.

And remember, Epson was really the only game in town not so long ago. Many RIPs, for example, work only with Epson printers.

Brian A

namartinnz

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 09:26:03 pm »

I've using a Z3100 then Z3200 without any issues. Colour gamut seems fine to me and virtually no head clogging and if it can't be remedied a new print head is easy and cheap to replace. I use Qimage for printing with no fuss and drivers are working fine.

Neal

MHMG

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 10:17:54 pm »

So I keep reading about the head clogs in both Canon and Epson why are people not going to HP Z 3200 am i missing something is the quality that much better?  In 9 years or so I have spent a 100 bucks and that is it on new heads on my 3100 and on my z 3200 I bought used no troubles after getting a thorough cleaning  thanks David

I think HP deserved to gain more market share with the Z3100 and Z3200 series printers than what happened. That said, HP needed to go the distance and be in the game for the long haul, but I suspect the HP accountants finally ruled that the fine art and photography market was too small potatoes and its R&D department should be concentrating on bigger graphic arts and signage markets. Anyway, the HP Vivera pigmented inks are best-in-class with regards to print longevity and certainly competitive with color gamut as well, so it's a shame to see HP apparently backing away from the fine art print market in the past few years.

One catch may have been HP's decision to incorporate an on-board spectrophotometer and ICC profiling capability right into the machine.  For some photographers and novice printmakers it was a very nice "end-to-end" color printing solution. For others like myself who already have standalone color profiling capabilities it added to the price of the printer unnecessarily, making the Z series less affordable compared to the competition.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:20:21 pm by MHMG »

Roscolo

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 11:50:00 am »

So I keep reading about the head clogs in both Canon and Epson why are people not going to HP Z 3200 am i missing something is the quality that much better?  In 9 years or so I have spent a 100 bucks and that is it on new heads on my 3100 and on my z 3200 I bought used no troubles after getting a thorough cleaning  thanks David

I scrapped Epson years ago due to constant clogging. Maybe they got their act together, I don't know. Their support was as bad as the clogs so they lost me for good.

Don't know what you're reading, but I've run a Canon ipf8300 for almost 3 years now...no clogs. I also run an HP z3100 (also no clogs). The results from the Canon are superior, particularly the blacks. The Canon is much faster and the software Canon provides is a dream to use compared to HP's clunky interface. That said, the z is considerably older than the Canon and it still works fine. HP screwed up ROYALLY when they discontinued the twin packs of ink for the z printers. If I ever had any doubt whether to use the Canon over the HP,  by discontinuing twin packs and raising the cost of ink, HP made that decision for me (thanks HP  :)   ). Still use the z for some black-and-white printing, but its primary function these days is to use the z's profiling system to create color profiles for the Canon, which it does very well.

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 12:44:39 pm »

I enjoyed my HP Z3100, the inkset and the built-in spectro immensely.  Unfortunately my machine became a maintenance nightmare.  After watching the techs tear it down the first couple of times I saw that it wasn't designed for me to maintain.  Yes, I know lots of Z owners do tear them down and replace things but that's not my cup of tea.  The last time mine crapped out I was off contract and it looked like it would cost me around $1,000 to get it back up and running.  At that point the cost exceeded the value of the printer and I moved on. 

These days HP is going through some major changes as a corporation and I'm not thinking about buying anything HP until the dust settles. 

For the record I'm just an enthusiast, not a professional photographer or printer.

In the meantime my brand new Epson P800 will keep me happy.  My larger print needs are met by a friend who is a professional printer.   
Regards,
Ron

deanwork

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 01:39:14 pm »

I have the IPF 8300 and the Z3100 and I use them interchangeably. The "blacks" are certainly not "better" on the Canon. That is the exact opposite of the situation. The dmax with the Vivera inks on Canson Rag Photographique is about 1.80 and no one touches that, and with the 8300 about 1.67 max , (similar to  Epson.) Max black point with the fiber gloss papers like Platine and Hahemuhle is the same with the Pk inks on both. I like doing the fiber gloss work on the 8300 with TBW but if I switch over to the HPZ I don't see any difference in either print color or tonality.

Color gamut is fine on both and the HP inks are in a class all by themselves when it comes to permanence. Dither and resolution is the same. Goss differiental and bronzing are the same, though better on the HP with rc media.

As far as cost of use goes the HP blows away both my Canon and my big Epson. It uses every last drop of ink and I go through more ink on my other printers, so I"m not bitching about the lack of the dual pak, though I do miss that. Both the Epson and Canon 44" printers are just too damn big and heavy. It is plugged in all the time and it is ALWAYS ready go to, day or night. It's insane building these things like someone is going to use them for 30 years when they die faster than the HP Z printers that take up no room and can be set up almost by one person. The heads are so cheap in price and like Ernst says, they last a lot longer than the Canon thermal heads and don't drive you nuts like the Epson heads ( I spent 3 hours yesterday trying to unclog my MK channel on the 9890 and wasted a bunch of ink doing that, which is typical and I can't take that shit anymore ).

I'm really uncertain what Hp's plan is. The fact is, all of these three companies are FAR more interested in sign printing and commercial designer support than they are high-end photographers. That isn't going to change. Epson pretends to be all about the photo community but it is just a marketing ploy to get them in the schools and has no basis in fact. All of their innovations end up costing me more money than helping me. They do value the desktop photo printer market though because that is where people spend a fortune in ink with those little carts.

It could be that the HP management thinks, look we have produced an excellent first class fine art printer in the Z3200 with really good gamut and a permanence that rivals carbon pigment transfer prints, that cost a fortune to produce. They have knocked the ball out of the park with the historic longevity of those inks, color and bw. The neutrality and tonality of the black and white output is so great and so easy to accomplish, even for an amateur, that they deserve a reward for that too. If my 7 year old Z3100 finally dies, and there is no sign of that happening so far, I would replace it with a Z3200 in a second. It does bother me that there are not a lot of places selling them anymore and they never show up at the trade shows. However, as long as they are offering extended warranties, they have to service the Z3200 and offer supplies. Honesty, I'd rather them not "improve" anything about this machine if they are going to fuck it up like these companies usually do.

Next week I'm giving a talk about alternative media so I am printing some large samples on all kinds of odd media. I'm working with 3 thickness  and three surfaces of real silk, also cotton chaffon, Belgian linen, cotton gauze, canvas, metallic rc paper, backlit transparency, fiber gloss Platine, cotton matte rag, and Canson rc, and this printer does an excellent job on all of them with museum quality stability. I do make my own icc profiles with X-Rite but when I'm in a hurry and need a quick profile the on board spectro does a fine job, even on these problematic specialized media. This has been my favorite art printer of them all. It does it fast to last, and it just always works. Hp had better not give up on the Z3200. I really don't see why they would since most of the parts are interchangeable with the other similar design units, only with more inks. But giant companies do weird stuff for short term profits, and HP is one big outfit. So, who knows...

john
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 01:42:18 pm by deanwork »

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 04:05:15 pm »

For those not familiar with HP's corporate machinations....

Hewlett-Packard Enterprise will build upon HP’s leading position in servers, storage, networking, converged systems, services and software as well as its OpenStack Helion cloud platform

Meg Whitman to be President and Chief Executive Officer of Hewlett-Packard Enterprise; Pat Russo to be Chairman of Hewlett-Packard Enterprise Board

HP Inc. will be the leading personal systems and printing company with a strong roadmap into the most exciting new technologies like 3D printing and new computing experiences

Dion Weisler to be President and Chief Executive Officer of HP Inc.; Meg Whitman to be Chairman of the HP Inc. Board

Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up