Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ultra Fast Glass for XF/DF+ (Contax 80/2, Schneider 130/2)  (Read 6115 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Ultra Fast Glass for XF/DF+ (Contax 80/2, Schneider 130/2)
« on: July 09, 2015, 02:02:44 pm »

We've just posted part 1 of a 3 part article on Ultra Fast Lenses that work with the XF / DF+ / DF (some with significant limitations, others natively).
Ultra Fast Lenses for Phase One XF / DF+ / DF

Some photos from a wedding I shot in Agde, France and Cadaques, Spain using two of these lenses (Contax Zeiss 80/2 and Schneider 130/2 IMAX lens) with a Phase One DF+ and IQ260 digital back:

Those two lenses...

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 02:05:24 pm by Doug Peterson »

DucatiTerminator

Re: Ultra Fast Glass for XF/DF+ (Contax 80/2, Schneider 130/2)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 02:35:41 pm »

I thought the Schneider lens (for Imax per your article) was the gold portion and didn't include the focusing lens barrel and mount. Is this something DT created/modded/sells? Thanks in advance.

Alvin
La gallina vecchia fa buon brodo

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 02:47:23 pm »

Thanks for sharing these.  I was looking at the images earlier today, and man, that Schneider lens makes some damn pretty images.
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Doug Peterson

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 06:50:22 pm »

Thanks for sharing these.  I was looking at the images earlier today, and man, that Schneider lens makes some damn pretty images.

You're welcome to come play with it at our Phase One Gear Tune Up day next week Joe. We're also thinking about putting it into rental. It's really a fun lens to shoot with.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 06:51:48 pm »

I thought the Schneider lens (for Imax per your article) was the gold portion and didn't include the focusing lens barrel and mount. Is this something DT created/modded/sells? Thanks in advance.

Alvin

Correct, this is a custom mounted (or "modded") version of the lens we had made specifically for this article. I hope you enjoy the results; I had a great time shooting with it.

DucatiTerminator

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 07:01:17 pm »

Correct, this is a custom mounted (or "modded") version of the lens we had made specifically for this article. I hope you enjoy the results; I had a great time shooting with it.

I did indeed. And your rental possibility mentioned above has me intrigued as well. If I fall in love with it, are you open to making another one, lol? I worked in an Imax theater while in college, so I already have a bit of an emotional attachment to that lens.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 08:15:36 am »

I did indeed. And your rental possibility mentioned above has me intrigued as well. If I fall in love with it, are you open to making another one, lol? I worked in an Imax theater while in college, so I already have a bit of an emotional attachment to that lens.

If you rent it and love it we'll make sure you can buy one. But you have to promise to post a few pictures you take with it.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 08:38:56 am »

Doug

Did you the XF or DF+ if XF what were your thoughts on the AF.

Also I saw you used the 260. Just curious what ISO you used. Very nice shots very clean files and tonal transition on the B&W.

Thanks for posting.

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Doug Peterson

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 09:11:17 am »

Did you the XF or DF+ if XF what were your thoughts on the AF.

Also I saw you used the 260. Just curious what ISO you used. Very nice shots very clean files and tonal transition on the B&W.

When I shot the wedding we only had two XF bodies so, sadly, I was not able to use it.

My experience with the XF autofocus so far has been very positive, but I've not yet shot a wedding with it. I have a few coming up later this summer so I should be able to report back then.

The bride/groom on the haystack were at ISO 50 and were backlit, underexposed on the bride/groom by about 1.5 stops. The groom and the bridesmaid were at ISO200+. Links to download the raw files are available at the bottom of the article.

This shot was done at ISO800+:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 09:19:50 am by Doug Peterson »

haplo602

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 10:17:46 am »

What's the exact problem for the 80/f1.9 ? Where does it not fit ?

You know you can cut off the aperture coupler without any loss of functionality on the XF ? It will be unusable on a 645 Pro/TL, but that's not the point of the test :-)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 10:24:31 am by haplo602 »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 10:39:32 am »

Already tried - Removing the aperture coupling did not change anything.

We have on our list to investigate this further, but it's not on the top of our priority list. My gut says that it should be possible to shave down the inside of the lens mount a hair and it will then fit, but we have not tried it and can't promise anything.

Bo Dez

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 11:24:04 am »

Thanks Doug, excellent article!

Is the Contax lens conversion something you would be able to offer in future?

DucatiTerminator

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 11:31:06 am »

If you rent it and love it we'll make sure you can buy one. But you have to promise to post a few pictures you take with it.

I promise, however, I humbly ask that you go easy on me with any critiques ;) lol. The images that you guys/gals here are creating with these backs are incredible and what I aspire to be able to capture some day. As I explained to Lance, this system is well beyond my abilities and what I deserve based on my skill level, but I believe in the saying, "A man's reach should exceed his grasp..." Hence, the first steps in a new journey with a yet unknown destination. I'm really looking forward to it.

araucaria

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 01:43:27 pm »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 02:27:53 pm »

You can buy these from him.
https://www.facebook.com/thebokehfactory?fref=photo

And indeed for two of the lenses we did just that. Good guy, operates out of Poland.

william

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 03:33:47 pm »

Wow, that Facebook page is almost painfully vague and confusing.  Perhaps someone should help this guy with creating a list of products, prices, etc., rather than a random jumble of stuff on Facebook?

JoeKitchen

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 09:10:13 pm »

Okay, so I just read your article in more detail and really checked out the images.  That Schneider 130mm is pretty damn awesome.  The boken is really nice.  A few questions: 

Outside with sun, what range of shutter speeds were you working with?  I assume flash sync was pretty much killed with sun light and the limitations of focal plane shutters? 

Do you think it would be possible to re-barrel the lens into a custom barrel that has an aperture built-in?  Maybe an f/2-8 or f/2-5.6? 

Could it be possible to re-barrle the lens with an aperture and leaf shutter built in?

Last, first time I really ever heard of the Petzval lenses.  They look pretty cool too.  Is there a medium format solution for a Petzval lens?   
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

haplo602

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 04:31:41 pm »

Already tried - Removing the aperture coupling did not change anything.

We have on our list to investigate this further, but it's not on the top of our priority list. My gut says that it should be possible to shave down the inside of the lens mount a hair and it will then fit, but we have not tried it and can't promise anything.

Hmm ... strange ... if it fits on th DF+ then the XF has something different in/around the mount ... Does the 150/f2.8 A fit on the XF ? The 80/f1.9 is the fastest 645 lens that I know about and quite unique to the Mamiya system. Pity they made it not fit on the XF.

gavincato

• Gavin Cato Photography
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 04:14:41 am »

That 130mm looks incredible doug!
Pages: [1]   Go Up