Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Backpack Recommendation  (Read 8807 times)

Ghaag

Backpack Recommendation
« on: July 09, 2015, 11:25:00 am »

I am about to make a trip to the pacific northwest and am looking for a backpack recommendation.  My primary gear would be H4d-40 a couple lenses & tripod.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Greg

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Backpack Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 11:59:57 am »

I would look at the Lowe Pro 400 or 600, and the fstop line. Fstop is a different company than Lowe. 

Here is a link to fstop.

http://fstopgear.com/mountainseries#.VZ6aMflVhBe

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 12:04:03 pm »

I got the F-Stop Tilopa for my 4x10 kit.  It's been great!  They have smaller kits too.

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 01:04:56 pm »

Take a look at the MindShift gear - the spin out will fit the Hass body with a lens on it, plus depending on the glass, a second lens. 

http://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/rotation180-professional

Don't forget rental options for that one time bag use:

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/support/backpacks
t: @PNWMF

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 01:51:30 pm »

Take a look at the MindShift gear - the spin out will fit the Hass body with a lens on it, plus depending on the glass, a second lens.  

http://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/rotation180-professional

Don't forget rental options for that one time bag use:

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/support/backpacks

Hi,

That Mind Shift gear is a great idea  ;D
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 02:07:29 pm »

I've lost count of the backpacks I've owned.  My newest one from F-Stop is hands down the best I've ever owned.  It's be correctly (I'm 6-9) and carries everything I want without weighing me down.  I really like the internal bag (ICU) selection as they can be configured to meet my needs if I want to carry my Cambo WRS or DF.

Don

Griffin86

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 03:44:48 pm »

I love my F-Stop Satori. Been with me everywhere.

I carry with it; 35mm f1.4, 85 f1.4, 14-24mm f2.8, D800, 70-200mm f2.8 and a 200-400 f4. Along with my filters, tripod with gimbal and sometimes 2 Manfrotto lightstands.

buckshot

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 07:51:14 pm »

Bought the F-Stop (Satori IIRC) - very well made - like the idea of rear access ICUs - sent it back.

Why? Simple - no way to adjust the harness - because of the rear entry, the distance between the waist band and the shoulder straps is fixed. So, you have to choose the pack to fit you rather than fit yourself to the pack; which means you may end up with a bigger / smaller pack than you need in order to get the best fit. So, not a great idea - unless you happen to find a pack that fits you correctly - N.B. most folks have no idea where the waist band should grip — i.e. the top of the iliac crest — which is actually kinda level with your elbows — higher than people estimate — more often than not you’ll see a pack sitting on someone’s butt.

Ended up going with a Lowepro Pro Rover 45L. The materials used are decent - not as good as F-Stop’s - however, it has a better way to carry a tripod, the hydration bladder pocket is outside of where your gear is housed, and … the killer feature ... it has - hands down - the best harness system of any cameracentric backpack I have ever used (and like most of you reading this, I've been through a few).

When my number comes up on the Lotto, I’ll have Dan McHale make me a custom pack, but until then I’ll stick with the Lowepro.

(I’ve heard that B&H sometimes has it on special for around $100 - which is insane - that’s the same price as a large ICU for an F-Stop pack).

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 07:55:29 pm by buckshot »

aviv1887

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 08:59:11 pm »

Think Tank just came out with a new pack pack series.  Looked very nice.

http://us8.campaign-archive1.com/?u=d02005983c789c487abf77a30&id=98bc71a0bc&e=99e546c4ec

Smoothjazz

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 12:32:10 am »

I second the F-stop backpack; I have owned quite a few packs, and this is my absolute favorite. One of the best features is that you lay the pack down, and the inside zips open, forming a flat working 'table' for changing lenses, etc. I use the Satori for medium format, and it seems perfect for a Phase One camera and a few lenses. The accessory strap-on pouches and cases are quite handy too; very well made and secure. I use the square ones for Lee filters, and a cylindrical one for my 2x tele-extender.
They have a new Suhka pack that is one step larger than my Satori; very tempting at only $299, but my current pack works great for day trips.
I may get the larger pack for when I want to carry two camera systems at once.
The F-stop web site has videos of their packs in use.

buckshot

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 09:16:28 am »

Think Tank just came out with a new pack pack series.  Looked very nice.

Looks like a nice pack - but probably one for trips <500ft from the car park - I mean, where do you store your non-photographic stuff ? In with your gear ? No thanks (and why then fit it for a hydration bladder - makes no sense). Another miss.

Smoothjazz

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 09:38:04 am »

Lots of pockets and storage spaces, but I use a waist punch for phone, keys, CF cards etc. Just as I have a number of backpacks, I have many waist pouches in all configurations; Clik, Mountainsmith, Think Tank, etc.
Hiking shorts with secure pockets are helpful too.

Graham Welland

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 06:08:52 pm »

F-Stop Satori or Tilopa backpacks with the appropriate ICU. I stopped looking for backpacks after I got my first F-Stop bag. I have a different pack for each of my systems (different colour packs) and they are supremely comfortable and don't over pack easily so hence always seem to fit aircraft overhead bins.

I don't think I've ever heard an F-Stop mountain series user complain about their choice.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 07:50:05 pm by Graham Welland »
Graham

michaelbiondo

• http://michael@michaelbiondo.com
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 07:36:25 pm »

F-Stop, love all their products

buckshot

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 06:08:50 pm »

@OP You don’t say what you intend to do with the pack when you're up north. Short walks ? Long treks ? Overnighting ?

If you only need to move your gear a few feet, you could put it all in a shopping bag I guess  ;) … however if you want to move it some distance, you’ll presumably be wearing the pack for hours, and maybe for days - that’s where a well-fitting pack will come into it’s own (even an ill-fitting pack is going to be bearable for an hour or two - but a whole day, and the next, and the next - well, that’s a different story altogether). That’s why - if you are undertaking some serious trekking - I would recommend a pack with an adjustable harness that can be fitted to you, not some average body shape. For example, look at the pack from photobackpacker - the hip belt is available in small, medium, large and X-large (for men and women) - there are two sizes of torso frame sheets and two sizes of air back pads. Expensive, yes - but fully adjustable. In contrast, the Lowepro only has an adjustable torso length (but it's the most important adjustment), while the F-Stop doesn’t have anything - it’s a one size fits all, one shot deal.

Putting photography aside for a moment, no one in their right mind would buy a regular pack for trekking with a harness that couldn’t be adjusted ... and yet, when it comes to camera packs we tend to forget about ourselves and basic ergonomics and think about our gear (will my nice new pack get dirty or wet if I put it on the mucky old ground, how quickly can I access it in case Sasquatch appears etc.) Like I said, not a huge problem if you’re only the carrying your gear a short distance or for a short time (as I guess a significant number of F-Stop buyers are; like SUV drivers who’s only notion of going off-road is parking up on the sidewalk) - but if you’re not, you’re just going to make life tough for yourself.

Finally, you also have the option of getting a good technical pack (such as those from Osprey, Deuter etc.) and adapting it to fit an ICU from F-Stop. No better way to get a proper harness, but some cutting and sewing required.

Jim

OT: I’m so fed up with airport carry-on restrictions, for flying I put all my gear in a Peli-case then put that inside a large North Face bag (because the sight of a Peli hard case screams ’steal me’). So much more relaxing flying that way. And yes, it's all insured.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 06:11:07 pm by buckshot »

amsp

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2015, 07:02:55 pm »

Another vote for the F-stop Tilopa, it's brilliant.

Smoothjazz

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 09:30:01 pm »

I take my F-stop Satori up into the mountains all the time. The shoulder and waist straps can be tensioned and adjusted to my liking. I guess it just fits me right.

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 11:24:24 am »

Another F-stop vote. Have the Loka, small enough to fit easily on an airplane and yet takes the large ICU. They've replaced it with the Lotus, very similar in size. Extremely comfortable, and surprisingly, well thought out. Have numerous other backpacks, each of which have their features, but this is the one I keep reaching for.
Geoff

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 08:10:07 am »

Another big F-Stop fan here, but I also agree with buckshot. Once you cross the overnight line, I think you would be better served with an internal frame backpack and an F-Stop ICU. I've hiked all day and x-country skied all day with the F-Stop; no issues with comfort or fit (I'm 6'-5"). But once you start stuffing tent, bag, stove, etc in there, the F-Stop in my opinion doesn't work all that well. It is just not made to be jammed tightly with stuff, or at least I haven't figured out how to use it that way. For multi-day trips I still use the traditional approach: Packs from Osprey/Gregory/Mystery Ranch / Etc with an ICU near the top. I then carry a chest pouch with a smaller camera for quick handheld shots.

Dave

Ken R

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 08:26:07 am »

I am about to make a trip to the pacific northwest and am looking for a backpack recommendation.  My primary gear would be H4d-40 a couple lenses & tripod.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Greg

Hi!

Are you planning on using the backpack for day hikes (from the car and back in a few hours) or for backpacking (overnight or more?)?

I use photo backpacks for day hikes but for longer hikes and overnights I use a nice backpack made for hiking/backpacking and just but my photo gear inside Kinesis pouches / small bags as needed and put them inside the large backpack. http://www.kgear.com/

Photo backpacks are generally not as nice to carry for extended periods and are heavy for the size.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up