Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Penestin  (Read 2328 times)

KMRennie

Penestin
« on: July 09, 2015, 10:21:09 am »

Just finished cycling 1200km down the West Coast of France. This sunset shot from Penestin in Britanny. I would have loved a tripod but since it weighs the same as a tent it stayed behind.
Fuji XE-1 Fuji XF 18-35. Ken

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Penestin
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 03:49:56 am »

Tricky light, but the photo works nicely. There is good colour in the sky, plus the green of the algae, that lifts the foreground.

polaris-14

• Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 04:33:00 am »

The location shows a lot of potential. Great job on recovering all the dynamic range there. At what focal length did you shoot this? I would try a different vantage point: really low or really high on a wide angle.
Adhika Lie
Website | Flickr

stamper

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 06:25:17 am »

Tricky light, but the photo works nicely. There is good colour in the sky, plus the green of the algae, that lifts the foreground.

I fully concur.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 08:13:05 am »

When I go places where I really need a tripod but have to give way to other equipment needs, I carry a small canvas sack I can fill with sand or light soil (I've even used pine straw) and use that as a stable platform for my camera. I've gone so far as to nestle this bag in the boughs of a tree, atop rocks and find car hoods a wonderful accessory. I might be tempted to do a slight bit of fill light off the left pillar of rocks toward the leading left edge. Love the sky.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

KMRennie

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 09:25:12 am »

Thanks for the comments. Firstly more shooting details 24.3mm (36mm FF equivalent) f8 1/60s ISO 200. Despite the lack of a tripod and nowhere to rest the camera, in this shot, I bracketed the shots and have merged them in this final shot. As far as composition goes, any higher and the sun would have been visible above the rock, any lower and the amount of subtly coloured water would have diminished whilst the foreground rock would increased in size and importance, I have cropped a little off the foreground already as I am just using it as a base for the image and a full stop for the eyes. Any further to the left and the sun would again have been visible and flare and increased dynamic range could have become an issue. Moving to the right would have centralised the algae/ weed covered rock and removed the angle from the bottom right towards the top left between the foreground green rock and the stack. This was my thinking behind the shot but no doubt other shots could have been produced. Another thing that I had to take into consideration was the rising tide and the very slippy rocks. Overall I took 36 images in this location. Hope that this helps polari-14.

Ken

polaris-14

• Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 10:17:55 am »

Gotcha. It's a very tricky situation, eh? Fwiw, this is a very pretty image by itself. :) The color is just so gorgeous and the composition balanced.
Adhika Lie
Website | Flickr

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 11:39:26 am »

Gotcha. It's a very tricky situation, eh? Fwiw, this is a very pretty image by itself. :) The color is just so gorgeous and the composition balanced.
Agreed.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 02:52:23 pm »

It's lovely. The light is great and you've caught the dynamic range very nicely. Add good composition and what more could you need?

Jeremy

KMRennie

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 08:36:37 am »

To give a wider context for the sunset shot. This is taken the next evening 1 hr before sunset looking down on the sea stack.
All comments welcome
Ken

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 04:38:28 pm »

Nice shot, I really like the composition. Color looks great and the HDR is nice and subtle. Good work!
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up