Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not medium format.  (Read 3003 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Not medium format.
« on: July 08, 2015, 09:51:42 pm »

If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Not medium format.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 10:38:15 pm »

http://largesense.com

Any info about pricing and availability?

At 12megapixels, the 9x11 inch version is quite interesting, although I feel that they could have gone up to at least 30~40 megapixels with a lower sensitivity.

Cheers,
Bernard

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 10:47:39 pm »

And at what cost? 

It's a big piece of silicon.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

drevil

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 11:24:09 pm »

interesting indeed!

did they mention any target for the appr. price?

chiek

• chiek imaging
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 02:59:50 am »

Very interesting !!!
chiek imaging, in Seoul, SOUTH-KOREA.
Sinar P2, Hasselblad CFv-50c medium format and a7R systems
major job is products shot, especially for electronic products.
but interested in Landscapes and Portraits, Still-life.
my hobby is Designing camera…
www.chiek.co.kr

Torbjörn Tapani

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 04:39:00 am »

Oh my god. That homepage jumping around from changing image size is so annoying!

BJL

Any info about pricing and availability?

At 12megapixels, the 9x11 inch version is quite interesting, although I feel that they could have gone up to at least 30~40 megapixels with a lower sensitivity.
My guess is that this device with 75 micron pixel pitch can be fabricated with the same equipment used to make LED screens, which now go to about 500ppi, so 50 micron pixel pitch.  If so, the resolution of these relatively affordable large sensors will probate stay limited to what the larger market wants for phones and such.  For example that 500ppi translates to 5000x4000 (20MP) in 10"x8" format, or 5500x4500 (25MP) for this idiosyncratic 11x9 format.

So for resolution, it could be limited to about what 1" format now offers, and under that resolution limit, I am skeptical that the virtues of large format lenses will be visible.
[UPDATE: I see now that phone screen go to 577ppi, so the resolution could get to about 5800x4600 (27MP) in 10"x8" and 6300x5200 (33MP) in 11"x9" -- or about 2900x2300 (7MP) in 5"x4" format, making it rather clear why they are not aiming at the far more widely used 5"x4" format, which would work with a far greater array of lenses and view cameras, and would offer distinctly less bulk and more portability.]

Dynamic range could potentially be stunning -- but for now it is limited by the 14-bit ADC, so no better than some entry-level DLSRs.

Users of extensive camera movements might have a good use for such a sensor.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 08:36:19 am by BJL »

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 10:56:05 am »

There was an 8x10 sensor someone developed a while back.  He was still shooting film for his commercial work and just needed a replacement for Polaroid.  I think digital makes for a great "Polaroid" if you're shooting MF or LF film.

BJL

low resolution large format digital (Not medium format)
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 11:05:54 am »

There was an 8x10 sensor someone developed a while back.  He was still shooting film for his commercial work and just needed a replacement for Polaroid.  I think digital makes for a great "Polaroid" if you're shooting MF or LF film.
Yes, one 10"x8" film user had a couple of such backs custom made, at about US$100,000 each.  I am fairly sure that those used the LED panel fab. tech that I mention above, and were of even lower resolution (because phone screens had not yet reached today's absurdly high marketing-driven pixel counts?)  So, those were maybe intended mostly to check lighting and framing.

Telecaster

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 04:57:15 pm »

Oh my god. That homepage jumping around from changing image size is so annoying!

Mega +1. Abandoned the site after less than a minute. What is it they're offering?  :)

-Dave-

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 05:04:34 pm »

Mega +1. Abandoned the site after less than a minute. What is it they're offering?  :)

Javascript components. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up