Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On the Surface  (Read 2449 times)

Anonymous Dave

On the Surface
« on: July 08, 2015, 07:29:11 pm »

This is my first post here—I’ve been reading this forum for a while now, with the hope that someone else might have asked the same question, but thus far, no joy. So here it goes…

I’m working on a B&W series that involves some very dark, dense images, and I’m having difficulty finding the right paper to compliment them.

I convert, process, and tone in Lightroom, and send the color files to my stock Epson 3880—no problem there. I’m able to get the results I’m looking for on a variety of PK papers. The primary issue I’m dealing with involves the surface texture of the papers I’ve used, and secondarily, the color and/or OBA content of those papers.

There are three papers I’ve found that together have all the physical characteristics I’m looking for. None of them is ideal.

1. Museo Silver Rag - Positives: subdued gloss, no OBAs, acceptable texture, good D-max. Negatives: a bit too warm, more expensive than I’d like ($$ isn’t a deal-killer, but less expensive would be better)…

2. Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique - Positives: Perfect base color, excellent D-max. Negatives: OBAs and a granular sparkly surface that just pokes me in the eye. When viewed from straight on, it’s not too bad, but at the slightest angle off-axis, the sparkles interfere with dark areas. (It probably won’t be an issue under glass, but the prints will be shown unmounted first, and I just don’t like the way it looks.)

3. Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta - Positives: Perfect surface texture (very, very little), excellent D-max. Negatives: Lots of OBAs, base color is too cool for this series, could be just a little less glossy.

To condense that into a single sentence, I’m looking for a paper with the surface texture of the H by H Gloss Baryta, the color of the Canson Baryta, soft gloss, and no OBAs. (Ideally, it would be a replacement for the air-dried Agfa Portriga that I knew and loved in the 70s...)

Any reccomendations?

(There are no longer any camera stores within driving distance that I can visit to physically handle various papers, so I’m going to have to order online.)

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Robcat

Re: On the Surface
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 09:56:02 pm »

Don't know one exactly like that but try the H by H Gloss Baryta warmtone if you think the regular one is too cool. Same surface but, like the name says, warmer. I use the cool one primarily.

howardm

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 11:19:34 pm »

you might want to try this (or at least look at some of their others)

http://www.innovaart.com/product/fibaprint-warmtone-gloss-300gsm-ifa-19/

BradSmith

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 02:34:06 am »

Some other Baryta or Baryta "like" choices in US:

Freestyle Photo's Arista II Baryta Photo
Ilford Galerie Prestige Gold Fiber Silk
Ilford Galerie Prestige gold Mono Silk
Hahnemuhle Digital Photo Silk Baryta
Moab Juniper Baryta Rag
Red River San Gabriel Semi Gloss Fiber Baryta
IT Supplies' Simply Elegant Gold Fiber Baryta

It is quite possible/probable that some of these are rebranded versions of other papers.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 05:44:06 am »

Don't know one exactly like that but try the H by H Gloss Baryta warmtone if you think the regular one is too cool. Same surface but, like the name says, warmer. I use the cool one primarily.

Probably too warm given the Silver Rag comment. It has no OBAs and the right gloss/texture though.

Canson Platine Fibre Rag 310 gsm? Less gloss and  a bit more texture than the Harman. Near neutral white though and no OBAs. If rumor has it right there may be an Ilford paper soon that comes close and should be glossier. Felix Schoeller origins then like the Platine and Schoeller's own version.
Inkpress Baryta 307 gsm?  Slightly warmer than Platine and less gloss.

RC papers? Epson Proofing White Semi-Matte RC 256 gsm. Glossy enough with my HP Z gloss enhancer used, no texture to speak of. Near neutral and OBA at a minimum.

Consider a spray or gloss enhancer when the gloss is too low. Texture is often more acceptable when the print is mounted flat.

I do not think your paper exists like so many things we like to have.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Anonymous Dave

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 11:06:17 pm »

Thank you all. You've given me some options to explore, and I'll be ordering some samples tomorrow.

Based on the reading I've been doing, I think there might actually be an ideal solution. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the paper I'm referring to isn't available in the U.S.—Pinnacle Baryta. It's been described as having a smooth surface, relatively neutral color, and no OBAs.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has first hand experience with it.

Anonymous Dave

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 11:13:02 pm »

Scott Hein

• Hein Natural History Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 02:13:12 pm »

To condense that into a single sentence, I’m looking for a paper with the surface texture of the H by H Gloss Baryta, the color of the Canson Baryta, soft gloss, and no OBAs.

I have been using Harman Gloss Baryta as my standard paper for several years.  However, in addition to the OBA content, that paper tends to have real problems with curling of the edges causing head strikes among other problems.  I have put up with this frustration because of the quality of the print, but since I am reconfiguring my workflow with a new iPF6400 printer, I am taking the opportunity to evaluate alternative papers.  I just did my initial tests with the Canson Baryta Photographique - and I probably shouldn't have read your post before viewing the prints because I was immediately distracted by all the "sparkles" ;)  It also exhibits gloss differential that isn't present on the Harman Gloss Baryta (but I need to spend more time investigating this).  In a perfect world, I would like a paper that is similar in appearance to the Harman, but without the OBAs or curling problems.  So, in I will be interested to hear the result of your investigation...

-Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up