Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual Monitors - Eizo and iMac 5k  (Read 8156 times)

PBC

• http://www.philcorley.com
Dual Monitors - Eizo and iMac 5k
« on: July 08, 2015, 05:39:53 pm »

Just wondering how people are/would handle a setup like mine...

I have been using an Eizo CG275W with built-in sensor, using the ColorNavigator software to calibrate the screen.

I have now moved to using a 27" iMac Retina so have two screens, and I must admit I do like the 5k screen for editing, but I am worried about the degree of deep blacks, etc. I am viewing the image under. So I am flipping between the two monitors, but after looking at the iMac the Eizo is just so dull :-)

Having the image viewed on two different screens looking so different makes me wonder which is right!

For printing using the Eizo in my workflow gives me excellent match screen to print, but a lot of my work is now ending up online, so I am not sure of the advantage of using the Eizo.

Should I calibrate my iMac as well to make sure the colours are right (the Eizo is much warmer than the iMac) and would this help give me confidence that the iMac is not artificially broasting vibrancy and contrast in my images?

If so, what do people recommend and how would it work alongside ColorNavigator and the Eizo?

Sorry for the rambling question, but the iMac screen in my workflow is confusing me and I am trying to work out what to do :-)

Thanks

Phil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Erland

Re: Dual Monitors - Eizo and iMac 5k
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 03:14:26 am »

I am somewhat in the same situation. I use my MBP with retina for online images, as well for pics I will send to people to use in their phones, and my calibrated wide gamut screen when I print, or color correct. I find viewing images on my MBPr calibrated to a 6500K and somewhat brighter than my external, produce better images on my friends computers and phones.
Service Technician Digital Printers and Peripherals.
Epson Stylus Photo 1400.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 04:12:54 am »

If Phil is saying that the Eizo is calibrated and profiled but the imac isn't, then there is little doubt which is displaying the correct colour.

However, as Erland says, people with phones and other inaccurate display devices may see images more like the uncalibrated Mac.  People who are not photographers often prefer the contrast, brightness and saturation to be screwed way up.  That may not be a accurate, but they like the punchy, contrasty, hit-you-in-the-pit-of-the-stomach colours. 

What to do?  It depends (IMHO) on one's intentions.  If one's target is printing, then properly calibrated/profiled monitor at around 100 cd/m2 brightness is probably better.  Similary if one's target audience is other photographers with calibrated/profiled monitors.  If one is targetting smartphones, well Erland may be right. 

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 05:43:25 am »

There's no such a thing as "correct colour".

There's no such a thing as an iMac that isn't profiled.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

PBC

• http://www.philcorley.com
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 01:08:35 am »

Thanks guys.

Does anyone know if I could use a i1Display Pro for the iMac and still use my Color Navigator for the Eizo without any clashes?    I am assuming the i1 is the best option to calibrate an iMac retina screen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 02:27:01 am »

I'm not really sure what the problem is, but if the Mac isn't calibrated then just calibrate it. I have a similar setup and use ColorNavigator for the Eizo and Spyder for the Mac. Not sure of any interference but it looks pretty good.
Frankly most of my work is done on the Mac. I check the Eizo but seldom need to.

To me there is correct colour and if you don't have it for art reproduction or fashion then the customer will tell you.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

morganf

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 09:06:36 pm »

I have an iMac 5K and am thinking of getting an Eizo for extra screen space and for what I believe is their superior resolution, and have two basic questions:

1. Is a Thunderbolt  cable the way to connect the two?
2. Is the Eizo less tiring on the eyes? I am finding the glow of the iMac is wearing me out these days, after a few hours' work.

Thanks,

Morgan

krseals

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 10:50:55 pm »

Morgan,

Have you calibrated the iMac and set the brightness? It may be way too bright for comfort. I helped a friend calibrate his 27" iMac and the default brightness was at 350 cd/m2. For printing brightness matching, most set their monitor brightness in the calibration software to 80-120 cd/m2. That works pretty well for me for extended viewing periods.

daicehawk

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 09:42:21 pm »

I aim for 160 nits and 6500 K to match a print under the ambient indoor sunlight. Works well.

imagetone

• http://www.tonymayimages.com
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 04:16:35 am »

For printing using the Eizo in my workflow gives me excellent match screen to print, but a lot of my work is now ending up online, so I am not sure of the advantage of using the Eizo.

Should I calibrate my iMac as well to make sure the colours are right (the Eizo is much warmer than the iMac) and would this help give me confidence that the iMac is not artificially broasting vibrancy and contrast in my images?

Same here, I use my Eizo for print workflow inc. soft proofing with good results. Although I mainly edit on the Eizo (habit/easier on the eyes) for stuff that will get viewed primarily online as a final stage I make sure it looks good on the (calibrated) iMa that is nearer to how most people will see it. Then accept that on the myriad of different uncalibrated screens out there, it will look a thousand different ways, some not very pretty to our eyes.

I use ColorNavigator with the Eizo and i1 Profiler with the iMac, both with i1 Display Pro. And the Eizo still looks warmer after both are calibrated. I think you could be using the features of Color Navigator to have multiple calibration targets or emulate different devices like iPad etc but I don't.
Pages: [1]   Go Up