Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sizing images for projection  (Read 194281 times)

davidgriffith

sizing images for projection
« on: July 08, 2015, 12:50:51 pm »

I'm a newbie to projection. I'm preparing a slide presentation and need to size my images. I'm used to doing things according to dimensions and dpi for printing. Should I size my images to 1920x1080? does dpi matter?

Thanks for your help.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: sizing images for projection
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 01:09:21 pm »

I'm a newbie to projection. I'm preparing a slide presentation and need to size my images. I'm used to doing things according to dimensions and dpi for printing. Should I size my images to 1920x1080?

Hi David,

If that's what the particular projector uses, yes.

does dpi matter?

No, it's not relevant. Pixels in = pixels out, that's all that matters.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Ray

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 05:44:46 am »

There might be a bit of confusion here. 1920x1080 is a 16:9 aspect ratio. If an image is a different aspect ratio, such as 3:2 or 4:3, then one should resize such images to 1080 pixels for the height, with 'contstrain proportions' ticked in Photoshop or other program.. The width will automatically be less than 1920.

If the image has a wider aspect ratio than 16:9, because it's a stitched panorama for example, then simply resize the width to 1920. The height will automatically be less than 1080 pixels.

If one can crop the image to 1920x1080 pixels, without detracting from its appeal, then that's the best option because you will get the most detail.
When presenting a slide show, one wants to present the maximum amount of detail. At least, I do. Cropping as close as possible to the 16:9 aspect ratio, without detracting from the essential message, should always be a consideration.

Jimbo57

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 06:01:56 am »

. Should I size my images to 1920x1080? does dpi matter?

Thanks for your help.

Dpi is irrelevant and ppi does not matter. When you size to 1920x1080 pixels, those dimensions give a complete definition of the resolution.

Just check that the projector you will be using is "wide screen". 1400x1050 pixels is more common.

dwswager

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 09:35:14 pm »

I'm a newbie to projection. I'm preparing a slide presentation and need to size my images. I'm used to doing things according to dimensions and dpi for printing. Should I size my images to 1920x1080? does dpi matter?

Thanks for your help.

Check the projector specification for it's resolution (pixel dimensions).  Then resize to FIT those dimensions.  I generally select the images in Bridge and Use the Photoshop image processor to fit the image running an action to convert to the native gamut and maybe some slight sharpening.  For TV viewing I usually set to 1920x1080.
Pages: [1]   Go Up