Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Palette  (Read 17319 times)

lelouarn

Palette
« on: July 07, 2015, 01:07:20 pm »

Now this looks pretty cool accessory for LR, for all gear-o-holics out there !
http://petapixel.com/2015/07/07/palette-launches-to-shake-up-your-photo-editing-with-modular-controls/

Can we get a review in LL ? Please ? !

tongelsing

Re: Palette
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 05:44:13 am »

A very nice example of a completely useless piece of equipment!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 06:40:27 am »

Just when you thought that the world is running out of idiotic ideas...

philaitman

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 07:48:13 am »

A great idea for Recording and mixing a terrible idea for Lightroom tbh.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 07:59:25 am »

A very nice example of a completely useless piece of equipment!

Yeah, but wouldn't you just love to impoverish yourself by blowing "$899 for a limited edition Wood Professional Kit"? ;)

donbga

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 08:35:28 am »

Now this looks pretty cool accessory for LR, for all gear-o-holics out there !
http://petapixel.com/2015/07/07/palette-launches-to-shake-up-your-photo-editing-with-modular-controls/

Can we get a review in LL ? Please ? !

Pass!

tongelsing

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 01:40:39 pm »

A great idea for Recording and mixing a terrible idea for Lightroom tbh.

No, also not for recording and mixing. There are many dedicated keyboards for these purposes already out there. They are much more sophisticated and for a lesser price.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 01:48:15 pm by tongelsing »

ButchM

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 05:30:52 pm »

Yes ... but what about .. .

When everybody thinks the same... nobody thinks.

Guess it's ok to think different ... to a point. Other times it can earn you an idiot tag.

Funny, I recall some folks making the same assessments about pen tablets, touch pads ... and specialty keyboards ... all before most everyone had even tried one.

Like any other tool, I would have to actually use it to make an informed assessment. Not everyone prefers the mouse/trackpad/tablet and pen approach to working with images. This may be a viable option for some folks that do indeed think different ... or at least may prefer to send manual manipulation input to their computer.

I don't think I'd be a fan of such a tool working on location ... but, if I were someone employed to do nothing but sit at the same workstation for hours on end processing RAW images shot by others, this might be an option.

From first glance, I sort of like the modularity of the concept ... though, once again, it's something I'd have to try before I could make a decision as to it's worthiness as a tool ... current price tag notwithstanding. Wacom tablets were very high priced (some think they still are) but there are many folks who would be lost without one at any price.

I'm not sure if this concept will pass muster and be successful on the open market ... but I'd have to see more to label the idea as idiotic.

Rendezvous

• Daniel Talbot Photo Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 05:31:19 pm »

My first thought was "ok, I can set the exposure adjustment, cool, but when I go to the next photo, the slider will still be in the same spot... so... that'll get the same adjustment?" seems like a hassle having to centre them all every photo?

James R

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 06:21:08 pm »

I assume this is the first iteration and will be improved before release...however, I still see no need for it in my workflow--maybe it will work for others.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 06:38:28 pm »

I'm not sure if this concept will pass muster and be successful on the open market ... but I'd have to see more to label the idea as idiotic.

This tool looks expensive and very chunky, even for a static desktop, and they don't help their credibility by offering a version in wood. But I do think that the Lr sliders should be well suited to a tool similar to an audio studio's mixing desk, which is essentially what this thing seems to be. There have been a few attempts to do something along those lines with audio hardware ("Paddy"?) and also with tablets.

tongelsing

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 06:42:33 pm »

"In response to ButchM"

The point is; there are only a very few idiotic ideas who turns out to be brilliant. This one is certainly not.

Why you need hardware sliders. All the sliders you need are already there in a very logical order. And you control these software sliders with the best hardware slider (for this purpose) ever invented.... Your mouse!!!
And why you need buttons. You have a whole keyboard in front of you. Learn your keyboard short-cuts!

And lets look on it from a more fundamental level.
A picture is a static medium while video and especially audio are dynamic media.
For to change values in a picture you need not a tactile feedback, only the wanted value is important.
In video and foremost in audio the 'move' itself is often very important. And then you need the tactile response of the fader in order to achieve the right speed of change in a certain timeframe.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:16:15 pm by tongelsing »

ButchM

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 07:39:18 pm »

"In response to ButchM"

The point is; there are only a very few idiotic ideas who turns out to be brilliant. This one is certainly not.

Once again, I do indeed recall all the prognosticators who made similar predictions when other devices/tools/concepts were first introduced. It may be entertaining to make such determinations without the experience of actually using such a device, I tend to wait and see.

After all ... if I had listened to all the such predictions as they pertained to auto exposure, AF, matrix/segmented metering, ttl flash ... the list is rather lengthy ... those items too were considered "idiotic" and less than meaningful when first introduced by some ... at least these folks managed to raise $150k to pursue their idea. It can't be that bad of an idea to some potential users.

Over the many decades I have worked in this field, many ideas have been introduced, some rose through the ranks to become very necessary and reliable tools that we have learned to depend upon. Others, not so much.

It may very well be true that this latest "idiotic idea" won't pass the test ... but it hurts no one to reserve judgement until there is more information ... and/or actual physical testing of the product.

I just don't believe "thinking different" should be an ironic tag line ... or that when some do think different ... they should be labeled idiotic for having actually thinking different.

elliot_n

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 07:52:32 pm »

Why you need hardware sliders. All the sliders you need are already there in a very logical order. And you control these software sliders with the best hardware slider (for this purpose) ever invented.... Your mouse!!!

The attraction of hardware sliders is that you can make your adjustments without taking your eyes off the image. I can't do that if I'm adjusting sliders with a mouse. I do my best with the keyboard, tabbing through the sliders, and using the cursor keys to adjust (I use ACR, but I'm sure it's similar in Lightroom). Another advantage of physical sliders is that you can adjust two sliders simultaneously.

I've always thought that it would be cool to adjust images with something like an audio mixing desk. This particular solution - Palette - doesn't look very promising, but several people in the comments speak favourably of PFixer - a cheaper and apparently more powerful solution. Specifically, it has motorised sliders, which solves the problem of moving from one image to the next.

http://www.pusherlabs.com
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:55:17 pm by elliot_n »

tongelsing

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 08:31:12 pm »

The attraction of hardware sliders is that you can make your adjustments without taking your eyes off the image. I can't do that if I'm adjusting sliders with a mouse. I do my best with the keyboard, tabbing through the sliders, and using the cursor keys to adjust (I use ACR, but I'm sure it's similar in Lightroom). Another advantage of physical sliders is that you can adjust two sliders simultaneously.

You have a point thats for sure but I have never experienced it in that way.
But LR have over 50 sliders, off course you don't need them all at one time, which means that you often have to go back to the software sliders which are distracting you.
Placing 50 hardware sliders in front of you that will be very distracting :)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2015, 09:33:54 pm »

.... Specifically, it has motorised sliders, which solves the problem of moving...

Indeed, Americans are already moving and exercising too much, so anything that helps us work without even lifting a finger is a welcome reprieve  ;)

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 03:46:08 am »

Whether it will succeed commercially or not time will tell, but I don't think it's idiotic. Some people will appreciate a hardware slider over a software version.
I don't think I want one, but I'm sure that there's others who will like and use it. If not they would not have been able to raise so much money to develop a prototype.
I personally rather have a tool in Lightroom that reduces the step size of a scroll wheel click in the main panels from 5 units per click to 1 unit per click, like it already is in the masking tool panels. 
pieter, aka pegelli

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 05:37:21 am »

The attraction of hardware sliders is that you can make your adjustments without taking your eyes off the image. I can't do that if I'm adjusting sliders with a mouse.

Which is why the targeted adjustment tool is so great in the Tone Curve, HSL and B&W panels.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 08:30:53 am »

As an artist (painter) I use many different types of tools in my work.  From the most obvious to some pretty unorthodox in nature. Some of what works for me might hinder another artist, and vice versa.
To look at my work a viewer will not see the difference how one tool or another alters the painting. To tell you the truth, often I can't either. However how that tool heightens my attitude in the process of creating, makes all the difference. That simple truth is all that is necessary to validate any tool.

Peter

PS    Slobodan happy 7400
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:32:50 am by petermfiore »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 08:38:54 am »

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up