Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 30D  (Read 28329 times)

Piece

Canon 30D
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2006, 09:47:08 pm »

have we not just found another good reason to use an aps size sensor?  way less vignetting.  I can use my 50mm f/1.2 wide open on my D70s and see no noticable vignetting (although I'm not running any tests), while when using my F4 for film it's like I'm shooting through a tunnel.  Either way I'll probably still head towards a FF sensor.

pobrien3

Canon 30D
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2006, 01:32:04 am »

Interesting to still see this sensor size debate still so widely disputed. Don't forget that for the same lens the smaller sensor simply covers a smaller part of the image circle, giving the appearance of longer focal length.  With a full-frame sensor you get the same effect by cropping to a smaller size. I haven't done the arithmetic to see what pixel count is needed to end up with the same number of pixels, but you get the point...

One thing to also bear in mind, is that the DOF you're getting is the 'full frame' DOF. This means that for creative control you need to use correspondingly wider apertures with the 1.6 sensors to get the same effect. This is turn makes greater demads on the quality of your lens.

DarkPenguin

Canon 30D
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2006, 11:13:36 am »

I believe a 5D cropped down to 1.6 provides a 5mp image.

pobrien3

Canon 30D
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2006, 02:32:15 am »

I believe a 5D cropped down to 1.6 provides a 5mp image.
Yes, just DID do the arithmetic and you're quite right. So the pixel density on the 30D is far greater (by a factor of 1.6).  It has more pixels per mm than the Ds2.

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Canon 30D
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2006, 02:56:41 am »

To me the crop never felt like I was gaining anything unless I was trying to shoot beyond 400mm, at any other time it felt like I was giving something up.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58834\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ben, I agree with you on this subject, with a few exceptions. I feel like I give up something too when shooting my 24-70mm. I feel like I give up too much in the low end, and don't gain enough in the high end. I'd much rather have a true 24-70mm. However, when using my 70-200, I really feel like I gain enough to make a statement about the 1.6 zoom. If I buy the 5D I will probably be buying a longer lens. I do some photography where distance shooting is a must. Am I a bird photographer, a plane, a rocket or wildlife shooter??  No. When I shoot from a distance at a marina at dark, for instance, I need all of the zoom I can get. I have to stand on the concrete and shoot to the crab boats where men are working on them (the docks are constatly moving). Sometimes they're 100 yards out. Thus, going from 200mm to 320mm with the 20D is excellent--and at 2.8 if I need it shooting at ISO 100.

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Canon 30D
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2006, 02:58:37 am »

have we not just found another good reason to use an aps size sensor?  way less vignetting.  I can use my 50mm f/1.2 wide open on my D70s and see no noticable vignetting (although I'm not running any tests), while when using my F4 for film it's like I'm shooting through a tunnel.  Either way I'll probably still head towards a FF sensor.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59024\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nasty. When I shoot wide open with my 24-70L I see NO vigenetting on my Canon 20D, nor on my wide angle 17-35L.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up