Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ukraine: any suggestions on places to visit west of Kiev?  (Read 16202 times)

dreed

Ukraine: any suggestions on places to visit west of Kiev?
« on: July 06, 2015, 02:06:58 am »

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to go in Ukraine that is west of Kiev for landscape photography? (Note that Crimea is east of Kiev and is a no-go zone.) Around Lviv?

Web galleries for those regions?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Ukraine: any suggestions on places to visit west of Kiev?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 08:56:15 am »

I only know that Kamianets-Podilskyi is supposed to be interesting. What about the Carpathian Mountains? Or search for Catholic monasteries as they'll only be in the former Austro-Hungarian lands.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 10:41:26 am »

...(Note that Crimea is east of Kiev and is a no-go zone.)...

Why?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 11:28:59 am »

Why?

OK, let's put aside the fact that it was illegally annexed and that going there helps the local economy. Let's say you don't mind Russia having downed an airliner and let's assume you don't get any hassle as a foreigner wandering around annexed territory with a camera. Just consider the simple practical difficulties when, for example, the UK Foreign Office country advice here advises against travel to E Ukraine, and specifically advises British citizens to leave Crimea. That makes travel insurance unlikely, money from ATMs more difficult, travel more awkward etc. It's naive to think you shouldn't spend your time and money elsewhere.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 11:50:18 am »

All that is a political posturing, doesn't make it a no-go zone. One is certainly entitled to not wanting to go for whatever personal or political reason one might have, or for buying one's government propaganda, but it doesn't make it a no-go zone.

AlterEgo

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 12:07:57 pm »

Note that Crimea is east of Kiev
I'd rather say that it is south of Kiev and it is not part of Ukraine anymore, so you need a visa to visit Russia  :D ... which you won't get

AlterEgo

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 12:12:26 pm »

but it doesn't make it a no-go zone.
it is no-go for the OP indeed - he will not get visa and suggestion to visit mountain areas close to the borders with Slovakia/Hungary/Romania is actually good for taking landscape pictures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoverla

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 12:18:00 pm »

All that is a political posturing, doesn't make it a no-go zone. One is certainly entitled to not wanting to go for whatever personal or political reason one might have, or for buying one's government propaganda, but it doesn't make it a no-go zone.

As I said, if you do have no scruples about Russia's actions, your government's travel advice has practical knock-on effects on travel insurance, getting money, getting there, getting around.

dreed

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 03:02:32 am »

As I said, if you do have no scruples about Russia's actions, your government's travel advice has practical knock-on effects on travel insurance, getting money, getting there, getting around.

All of that aside, I'm not entirely convinced that the area (east of Kiev) is safe from a personal perspective - that being that the conflict has concluded. I don't want to meet a stray bullet in the air that was meant for someone/something else.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 05:44:03 am »

All of that aside, I'm not entirely convinced that the area (east of Kiev) is safe from a personal perspective - that being that the conflict has concluded. I don't want to meet a stray bullet in the air that was meant for someone/something else.

There are certainly areas where there is still fighting, but even if you went somewhere secure like Crimea you'd probably find it hard to wander around photographing without arousing some suspicions. That sunset will be gone by the time you've used your fluent Russian to convince some nervous policeman that you're not a journalist and are perfectly innocent....

AlterEgo

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 08:28:07 am »

I don't want to meet a stray bullet in the air that was meant for someone/something else.

so go west, where chickens come home to roost = http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/11733898/At-least-two-dead-in-Ukraine-sports-centre-attack.html

:D

kingscurate

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 02:08:39 pm »

In the UK, if the foreign office advises an area is a "no go area", travel insurance is void.
I aint a pro

MrImprovement

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 12:50:53 am »

Probably, you can go to Crimea, provided you get a Russian visa.  However, all flights to Crimea go thru Moscow, as I understand it; so first, you will have to fly to Moscow, then catch a connecting flight, which might be more time and hassle.

Further, due to bank sanctions and other sanctions, it may be that ATM cards won't work at all, meaning, you will have to carry a lot of cash around.  I know of cases where Russian citizens, with a bank account in Russia, could not easily access their cash at the same bank's branch in Crimea!

That area itself is safe, and the locals have a reputation for being very nice.  Since tourism has dropped off since the joining to Russia of Crimea, prices should be quite low.  Scenery and historical areas are supposed to be quite amazing in terms of photographic opportunities.

On to Western Ukraine ...

Bukovel (near Ivano-Frankivsk) has mountains, and is part of the Carpathian Mountains area.  It has many ski resorts, restaurants, etc.; that may make it undesirable for photos, except that it may serve as a nice jumping-off point for hikes etc. that will take you out of the commercial areas.   https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bukovel/@48.3532616,24.418029,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xacf8b2548324cc73

You don't mention whether or not you want to shoot anything near a city, however, Lviv , Ivano-Frankivsk, and Chernivtsi are considered the 3 most beautiful cities in Western Ukraine.

Searching on "Lviv landscape" , "Ivano-Frankivsk landscape" and so forth, should easily give you some nice images on Google Image Search that will give you a feel for the sort of photos you will be able to take.

Probably a trip to smaller towns near these big three, will get you away from the commercial structures that would mar your photos. 

All former-FSU cities tend to be compact, not sprawling ; further, Western Ukraine is less commercially developed - for instance, all the heavy industry is in the eastern parts, like Dnepropetrovsk, Donetsk, Lugansk, Krivoy Rog, etc.

Not knowing exactly what you are looking for, your level of comfort with non-English speakers, etc. , nor your budget, I am hesitant to give detailed advice that might not fit what you want to do.

If you feel comfortable sharing a little more what you want out of the trip and so forth, I will try to answer further.

BradSmith

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 01:10:45 am »

I'd probably suggest Paris.
Brad

glacierfan

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 02:59:59 pm »

Yes, Ukraine why not. In these troubled times it's good to visit places where you don't find many tourists.
Next week I am going to Lwiw and the Carpathian mountains, close the Romanian border.

Normally I shot landscape and architecture with a Phase One P65 and Alpa STC. But this time I am not sure taking all the MF equipment with me.

Is there anybody out there who knows something about photo permissions in churches and cloisters in this mountain area?
Or have any advices for unique places to get some great pictures.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:02:21 pm by glacierfan »
Pages: [1]   Go Up