Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pixma Pro 9500  (Read 23063 times)

DarkPenguin

Canon Pixma Pro 9500
« on: February 21, 2006, 10:58:01 am »

DarkPenguin

Canon Pixma Pro 9500
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 02:48:26 pm »

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/News/Feb06/Pro9500.htm

This looks interesting.  Photo Cyan, Photo Magenta and Photo Black.  (In addition to regular Cyan, Magenta and Matte Black.)

stefano

Canon Pixma Pro 9500
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 09:17:46 am »

I am very much looking forward to reviews of this printer. As an amateur I have yet to take the plunge of a true high quality photo printer, relying on services like MPIX, or my local pro printshop with lightjet capability, to get good quality prints. I have been considering the purchase of an Epson R2400 to be able to print panoramic pictures on roll paper, as well as up to 13x19, which is about as big as I can see going with most of my images.

I am glad to see that there could be competition in the market, that in my opinion is a good thing! And if the performance is there and competition brings the prices down a little I might even consider a 17" carriage printer...

--stefano

DarkPenguin

Canon Pixma Pro 9500
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 11:00:21 am »

I use online services for anything I want to last.  Not all that satisfying, however.  Upload the file and pray that it comes back looking okay.  Very irritating when it looks nothing like the 1280's test print.  Recently I started looking into CIS' for my 1280.  But it is just too expensive for my purposes.

It is my understanding that the 9500 will not take roll paper.  I'm waiting for Vincent's review of it.  If it looks good and isn't insanely priced (curious what the ink costs will be) I'll buy one.

Then I take a shotgun to the 1280 clogmaster.

AJSJones

Canon Pixma Pro 9500
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 07:56:43 pm »

12 inks
17" wide and pigment inks....
17x24 at 1200 dpi in less than 3 minutes
Price ~$2K
Going against the 4800?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 08:03:07 pm by AJSJones »

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
Canon Pixma Pro 9500
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 05:28:46 am »

Michael,

When will you be able to say more about the Canon printers? And have you had any hands on with the two pigment models?

Thanks.

Edit*

Just saw that the Pro9500 won't be available here in Oz until September!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 05:49:06 am by phila »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Canon Pixma Pro 9500
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 05:35:10 pm »

And they are working on the A2 and A1 versions as well...

If everything goes well, I might have the chance to get some 4*5 scans printed on next gen W6400 in the coming weeks...

Don't know much more at the present time. Will let you know if things happen.

Cheers,
Bernard

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Canon Pixma Pro 9500
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 01:24:43 pm »

It will be interesting to see if the Lucia pigment inks from Canon handle bronzing and metamerism as well as the K3 inks do. If so, these printers could be really attractive for a lot of people. Epson will finally have some serious competition for archival, fine art digital prints.

The 9500pro isn't too appealing to me because right now it looks like it will have the same paper handling limitations as the 9900; the press release made no mention of support for panoramic or roll printing.

The iPF5000, on the other hand, looks really tempting. 12 inks should mean excellent gamut for color prints and excellent neutrality for B/W prints. Add in support for 2" and 3" rolls, Canon's speed, and you've got a printer that looks like it could dethrone the 4800. I just have to figure out how to make room for one of these big boys in my home office...
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
Canon Pixma Pro 9500
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 04:42:38 pm »

Bernard,
You must frequent some interesting Tokyo clubs. Keep listening. There is always something enjoyable about rumours and speculation, and you are closer than most of us to where it is happening.
 For all the hype about Epson printers , they are not perfect. They are slow for any real production, the inks still clog. Media usage has reduced costs, as Mark has said, but is still pricey. The print exit path on the 2 biggest printers is unsatisfactory causing prints to be damaged unless carefully helped out of the machine. All sheets on these printers must be loaded individually. Printing a limited edition fine book is like working with Gutenberg.The whole mechanical design of large format printers needs rethinking.For that matter so does the software workflow. We need a lot more than zillions of nozzles to block up with ever increasing inksets. It's a bit like the printing equivalent to pixel peeping.
I hope Canon are listening to the people that use wide format printers and we don't get equivalents to the mirror up hassle on the digital cameras that frustrates Micheal and lots of us as well.
Who is beta testing these things? I could provide Canon (and Epson)  with a list of names of people that would go far beyond being enthusiastic about pretty colours. They print every day on all sorts of surfaces for the world's most exacting clients.
All that said the bars at Photokina later this year could be worth visiting
Cheers
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
Canon Pixma Pro 9500
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 08:01:04 am »

Darkpenguin - have you considered the Permajet solution?  £80 sorts you out empty carts and bottles of ink and ICC profiles.  Based on a 2200, it's 5 refills for less than the price of one set of genuine Epson carts.

The website www.permajet.com isn't too great but these systems do exist and I'm off to get one at the end of the month!

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Canon Pixma Pro 9500
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 07:33:40 am »

Bernard,
You must frequent some interesting Tokyo clubs. Keep listening. There is always something enjoyable about rumours and speculation, and you are closer than most of us to where it is happening.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59007\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Brian,

Yep, I'll keep my Spock ears fully stretched out...

I guess that it'd be easier to get these prints done if I didn't have to stay in meeting rooms till 21:30 like tonight though...  That's the less fun part of Japan.

Cheers,
Bernard

DarkPenguin

Canon Pixma Pro 9500
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 10:37:38 am »

Darkpenguin - have you considered the Permajet solution?  £80 sorts you out empty carts and bottles of ink and ICC profiles.  Based on a 2200, it's 5 refills for less than the price of one set of genuine Epson carts.

The website www.permajet.com isn't too great but these systems do exist and I'm off to get one at the end of the month!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59033\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've also been looking into those systems.  I'll have to look at that particular one.

benInMA

Canon Pixma Pro 9500
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 02:33:23 pm »

Man I wish this had been available when I got my i9900.

I have not seen anything really fade when properly framed (my oldest stuff done with it is only a year and half though.)

But if you don't protect the 9900 prints with their normal dye-based inks the prints if exposed to say 8 hours of direct sunlight each day will fade badly in 2-3 months on Canon paper.

It also has mega short term shifts with any non-Canon paper I've tried.   You fiddle with the profiles, get it looking good with the 3rd party paper, 2 months later the prints look all yellow.

Still love the 9900 though, this 9500 is sure to be a keeper.  No clogs, no destroyed/damaged prints, no real color problems as long as I stick with Canon paper, etc, etc.. in the time I've had my 9900, worlds better then HP I had before.
Pages: [1]   Go Up