Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I was given an ipf5000, what drivers to use, where do I get icc profiles  (Read 5824 times)

Nora_nor

Hi, I got a new printhead and some inks and it is running.
I went to canonipf.wikispaces and there it says to download the 5100 drivers etc from canon europe.
Have tried it from LR.
Not tried from photoshop yet.
I have epson PLP sheet paper and tecco roll paper. Plus some fine art papers both in roll format and sheets.

Any advice on using this printer?
It bronzes more than the epson, but that I did know.

Still pondering on wether to get an epson for printing on gloss and semi-gloss because of bronzing....but not yet.

enduser

If I remember corectly, the Ipf5100 inks are backward compatible with the 5000, except black.  5100 inks were less "bronzy", they said.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com

That’s my recollection as well ... the 5100 had a new black ink.

the ipf5000 (I still have one sitting in storage) really had weak blacks,  and many of us weren’t particularly happy when Canon “fixed” the problem but offered no path for those of us stuck with the ipf5000. 

Nora_nor

I get it to work from the old MBP, but I did not download the same to my MBA....how do I uninstall the canon drivers and stuff and start fresh?

---maybe the wiki should list clearer which drivers to install and which not, for us with yosemite
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:02:47 am by Nora_nor »

howardm

delete the printer via SystemPrefs -> Printers

go to /Library/Printers

remove/trash the 'Canon' folder

reboot

voila, Canon printer driver gone.

Nora_nor

Thank you! Will do

--
updated
this time I just downloaded the ipf5000driver for 10.8 and it is the right driver, as I can choose where the paper comes from in LR when I set up the paper sheet. Like A3 sheet large borders ( only choice) (borderless is only for roll)
and it shows in an illustration where the paper is to go and which way it will print.
If it does not show these options it will not work

(just like the discussions on where to feed the paper one can have with the epson 4900, ...)

have not tried the newer driver
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:36:42 pm by Nora_nor »

Pete Berry

If I remember corectly, the Ipf5100 inks are backward compatible with the 5000, except black.  5100 inks were less "bronzy", they said.

It's all the four gray-scale 5100 inks that are incompatible with the 5000 (BK, MBK, GY, PGY), though they can be used if PF-03 heads have replaced the original PF-01 heads and the new cart-unique tabs on the cart's lower front side are clipped to allow them to seat. You will definitely have to custom re-profile, though, if you substitute them. The rest are identical. The 5100 blacks are much more abrasion-resistent, with less bronzing.

Pete

Nora_nor

interesting about the inks!

But now LR5 on the mba started to crash, and then immideately crashed each time I tried to open LR. I looked it up on the internet, and it might be possible to delete the LR preference file and stuff.
I deleted the lst plugins I downloaded, still crashing.
I then usend LR4, and it worked for 1 print, then started to crash just like LR5 did....

Internet said it could be a printer driver that is not made for current OS....
I don not know
maybe try LR with everything IPF5000 and ipf 5100 deleted, maybe restore LR from backup. Without canon printer driver.
Maybe I have to use printer from windows , if it keeps destroying LR, dunno.

Nora_nor

I got LR working again by deleting the preferences file.

I still have not tried out the same driver yet, I guess I have to try it again and if LR crashes again, the driver that the ipfwiki page recommends.

Pete Berry

interesting about the inks!

But now LR5 on the mba started to crash, and then immideately crashed each time I tried to open LR. I looked it up on the internet, and it might be possible to delete the LR preference file and stuff.
I deleted the lst plugins I downloaded, still crashing.
I then usend LR4, and it worked for 1 print, then started to crash just like LR5 did....

Internet said it could be a printer driver that is not made for current OS....
I don not know
maybe try LR with everything IPF5000 and ipf 5100 deleted, maybe restore LR from backup. Without canon printer driver.
Maybe I have to use printer from windows , if it keeps destroying LR, dunno.

I would delete both 5000 and 5100 drivers/etc, and re-install only the 5000, as the printer is not forward compatible with the 5100 driver AFAIK.

Pete

Nora_nor

tried different things, and now I got it to print from preview. At least I can get to choose the bottom printer which is ipf5000. I tried to delete the others just as told.
Now the driver for 10.8 works with preview. (PS plugin could not install)
At least I can save the LR pages as jpg and print them from preview.
Some from cassette, some from the top...

Nora_nor

Do I choose uni-directional printing?
I have tecco pl285 Luster paper, what profile do I choose?

--Someone mentioned he uses HP z to profile for his canon printer, how is that done? Have access to z2100 but not here

Pete Berry

Do I choose uni-directional printing?
I have tecco pl285 Luster paper, what profile do I choose?

--Someone mentioned he uses HP z to profile for his canon printer, how is that done? Have access to z2100 but not here

I used the "high" print quality setting, and left "unidirectional" unchecked with my 5000, as I could see no naked eye difference using it.

For the Tecco luster (and all other non-Canon luster/satin/pearl/semi-gloss papers), I used the "Photo Paper Semi-gloss" media type, and the "Photo Paper Plus (Highest)" profile. I've found this consistently better than specific manufacturers' paper profiles, and even a custom profile I had made for a Red River satin paper - and I use the same profile & media type on my 5100 for both for both my RR Ultra Pro Satin proofing paper and Ilford GFS presentation paper.

This, of course is heresy, but some years ago with the 5000 I printed a diverse group of papers - RR Polar Satin, RR Ultra-pro Satin 2.0, Hahne. Fine Art Pearl, Harmon FbAl Gloss, Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, and Hahne. Photo Rag Pearl - the last four the baryta-based papers of the day, expecting to see significant differences among them. They were printed with exactly the same media type and printer settings, with driver controlling, then scanned with identical manual settings on my Epson V700, setting the white point to show base color tint differences. While there were minor differences in warmth-coolness of the prints, this could be attributed to the base tint differences except for the Harmon, which was slightly warmer than the base could account for.

Here's the link, which makes me fair game for the guru's knives, I guess! But it would be interesting for someone to print different papers with the same Digidog printer test image (which is excellent, as it includes a continuous spectrum to show dis-continuities or even reversals), using their specific custom or mfturers' profiles, and see how similar they look scanned identically:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8075035@N03/sets/72157624569134778

Pete

Nora_nor

Interesting. By the way, I got it to grab tecco roll paper after all, by pressing stop and it starting anew. Before that it complained when I tried to feed it paper.
I tried the profile from the tecco website but everything got a slight grey-blue cast, weird. Must be a paper setting. Then I tried some other cluster profile I found randomly, breathing colour luster icc and heavyweight semi-matte and the other media type, and no blue cast.
This was from LR which decided to work after all.
The quirky thing is that when it thinks paper type does not match, one has to press the online button and then it prints anyway. but when I did not think of that it did nothing.

The ipf5000 wiki has been discontinued, is it incorporated in the other one?

I just have to try some settings for media-type.

Next weird thing is a very blue image ( a full moon and a mountain)  turned purple, but when I checked soft proofing in LR I saw it used the old epson4900 icc pofile.  Must try that image with some other settings. The 4900 printed it just fine, but slightly cooler than the image in LR. The ipf5000 should print awesome blues so I got a bit disappointed. Must print some more small tests.
Must try another test with the original file and see if it turns purple, as I think I had some setting wrong. Or try with printer managing colours...

I see you had the printer control the colours.....might just try that. Tee hee

Pete Berry

Interesting. By the way, I got it to grab tecco roll paper after all, by pressing stop and it starting anew. Before that it complained when I tried to feed it paper.
I tried the profile from the tecco website but everything got a slight grey-blue cast, weird. Must be a paper setting. Then I tried some other cluster profile I found randomly, breathing colour luster icc and heavyweight semi-matte and the other media type, and no blue cast.
This was from LR which decided to work after all.
The quirky thing is that when it thinks paper type does not match, one has to press the online button and then it prints anyway. but when I did not think of that it did nothing.

The ipf5000 wiki has been discontinued, is it incorporated in the other one?

I just have to try some settings for media-type.

Next weird thing is a very blue image ( a full moon and a mountain)  turned purple, but when I checked soft proofing in LR I saw it used the old epson4900 icc pofile.  Must try that image with some other settings. The 4900 printed it just fine, but slightly cooler than the image in LR. The ipf5000 should print awesome blues so I got a bit disappointed. Must print some more small tests.
Must try another test with the original file and see if it turns purple, as I think I had some setting wrong. Or try with printer managing colours...

I see you had the printer control the colours.....might just try that. Tee hee

I used printer control way back because it was much better than the profiles I could get. Now I use the Canon "Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss" as my media type, and "Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss (Highest) v2.icc" for my profile for both my Red River proofing paper and Ilford GFS presentation paper. The results are very close, and it's the intangibles of the paper, such as depth and surface, that make the difference.

When significant color shifts are seen, it's been a profile error in my experience rather than a paper characteristic.

Pete
Pages: [1]   Go Up