Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: P800 Report  (Read 31049 times)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
Re: P800 Report
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2015, 07:04:18 am »

How is the P800 with glossy type papers, like Luster?  Since it does not have gloss optimation ink.
How is black and white on luster paper?
I tested this quite a bit during my own review of the P800, where I had a 10" roll of what I'd call my 'everyday' lustre paper - a 300gsm one from a local supplier

See the examples in the review about half way down

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/printer/epson-sc_p800_review.html

There are quite a few photos where I've made sure to get a reflection of lighting on the print to get a feel for the reflection - I also had a 16" roll of Epson PGPP which I fitted some long panoramic prints onto - they looked very good.

Certainly at a standard I'd be happy supplying to clients (I have an iPF8300 here so test Canon and Epson)

For B&W I made some QTR correction profiles for several papers, including that 300gsm Lustre one - the measurements and curves are in the article - once again good looking B&W using the ABW mode.

Ferp

« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2015, 07:47:53 am »

Black ink changes.....this is purely a guess....however, I suspect there is a good reason to switch the blacks.

For example, if I do a lot of printing with papers using PK ink and little matte printing using MK, the MK line and nozzles will get little to no use for and extended period of time.  When I want to use MK, I would expect the nozzles would surely be dried out and clogged solid. 

I read a report somewhere, not sure which forum, of someone who had a problem like this.  After only printing using PK they eventually did a switch to MK and got nothing from that channel.  So they switched back to PK which had been working well, and got nothing either.  As I recall, it turned out that there was a lot of sedimentation around the ink selector switch, and it took quite some flushing to clear this.  I *think* this was OEM rather than 3rd party.  This was only one instance and perhaps they were unlucky.  I print on both kinds of papers and see the switching involved as a forum of insurance against this, unlikely as it may be.  (The nozzles in the head should be unaffected, as PK and MK use the same ones.)

As Mark indicated in his review, only months of use by many consumers will provide the empirical data needed to determine under what circumstances the P800 might clog.  But given that its basic head design is taken from the 3800/3880 - easily the most reliable pigment printer Epson has ever sold - my guess is that the P800 will continue that steadfast tradition.  

I fully agree that only time will answer this question conclusively.  But there are some people still able to source a 3880 and who are undecided which way to jump.  There are several P800s out there in forum members' hands now.  Has anyone been able to do a direct comparison to see how similar they look internally and how they seem to behave? Might give us a little more to go on regarding the likely behavior of the P800, other than the apparently similarity of the head.

Nora_nor

« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2015, 09:43:37 am »

Thanks Keith for the pictures with the light reflections.

Maybe try a report showing how easy it is supposed to print a wedding album by preparing it in Lightroom, print to jpg, open again in LR, and print the whole stack on the P800, then turning and printing the other side? On double-sided paper.
 It is supposed to work like that they say.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2015, 09:52:50 am »

.......  But there are some people still able to source a 3880 and who are undecided which way to jump.  There are several P800s out there in forum members' hands now.  Has anyone been able to do a direct comparison to see how similar they look internally and how they seem to behave? Might give us a little more to go on regarding the likely behavior of the P800, other than the apparently similarity of the head.

I'm not convinced this would be a viable shortcut for answering the behaviour question in respect of clogs/cleaning. By "how they look internally" you would have to mean (on a comparative basis between the models)  the internal structural and operational details of the whole ink transport, capping and cleaning assemblies, the print head and - not to be forgotten - the ink chemistry. What users are specialized enough to make reliable sense of all that?  As I mentioned in my review, time will tell.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2015, 11:15:28 am »

Thanks Keith for the pictures with the light reflections.

Maybe try a report showing how easy it is supposed to print a wedding album by preparing it in Lightroom, print to jpg, open again in LR, and print the whole stack on the P800, then turning and printing the other side? On double-sided paper.
 It is supposed to work like that they say.

Thanks, although not a chance for such a report from me, since the printer had to go back to Epson, but more importantly I neither use Lightroom, or shoot weddings :-) :-)

Nora_nor

« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2015, 11:30:37 am »

Okay, then a tip for someone else! A report from a photographer using it  for a slightly complicated job which would be a bit time-consuming with a large printer feeding it one sheet at a time with skew check  on each sheet.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2015, 11:37:35 am »

Mine also had to go back to Epson and I too don't shoot weddings.

HOWEVER, to test what you are after, for anyone who has this printer, it would be sufficient to run a few sheets of two-sided paper through the printer on both sides using Epson's recommended procedure to see how it handles the paper.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2015, 11:41:42 am »

Okay, then a tip for someone else! A report from a photographer using it  for a slightly complicated job which would be a bit time-consuming with a large printer feeding it one sheet at a time with skew check  on each sheet.

Skew check is important in general because (a) you don't want skewed prints, and (b) if the paper is feeding through with a skew, while it may start OK, it could at some point stutter and then jam, which can create other issues. Not good. It only uses time if the paper is skewed and needs to/should be reset. As for "one sheet at a time", it depends on whether the paper you are using needs to go through the one feed or the other.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up