Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom CC performance using adjustment brush  (Read 19580 times)

michaelbiondo

• http://michael@michaelbiondo.com
Lightroom CC performance using adjustment brush
« on: July 04, 2015, 11:51:30 am »

Just migrated from C1 to the new Light room and overall I am very happy with the workflow & quality. I especially like the HDR merge into a DNG file, given the dynamic range of the camera I am using (Pentax 645Z) it is probably overkill but depending upon the subject matter, the merged HDR.dng gives me a bit more DR to work with.

My issue is that when creating masks with the adjustment brush there is a bit of a lag in performance, no spinning beachball but certainly not what I am used to when painting a mask in photoshop.

I have disabled graphics processor acceleration and that has helped a bit but there is still a lag time between when I paint the mask on my wacom and the results showing up on screen.

Would a newer/ faster computer help? right now I am working on a MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Early 2013, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory, 750 GB Apple SSD drive with 200GB of headroom on it.

Would any updates to this computer do the job. I am thinking of getting a mac mini since I already own bunch of monitors and various accessories and perennials that I can use.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated, Thanks!
MB

AlterEgo

Re: Lightroom CC performance using adjustment brush
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 12:03:00 pm »

Would any updates to this computer do the job.

none, with the current state of Adobe code (GPU or otherwise) none of current apple minis or apple notebooks will be able to do the job a magnitude+ faster ...

michaelbiondo

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 12:08:06 pm »

That is a drag, how about the iMac or trashcan?
MB

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 01:57:20 pm »

That is a drag, how about the iMac or trashcan?

I don't think a shortage of compute cycles is the problem.

On a 6-core 2013 Mac Pro with a 3.5 GHz clock and 64 GB of memory, there is a perceptible albeit slight lag—I notice it but I don't find it objectionable—when using the adjustment brush with a single modification (e.g., exposure).  The lag increases significantly as you add adjustments.  I'm guessing there is some sort of combinatorial explosion in the amount of processing necessary to perform multiple adjustments while moving the brush, and that this function isn't susceptible to being parallelized (presumably because the changes are actually being performed sequentially even though you have set all the sliders before using the brush).

If you use the brush with a single parameter to create the mask, then update the effect with the sliders to add other adjustments, there is little or no perceptible lag as you move each additional slider.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 02:08:26 pm by Chris Kern »

michaelbiondo

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 11:07:00 am »

Thanks Chris for the suggestion, reducing the number of modifications does help a bit but I am still experiencing more than just a slight lag. Maybe I am confusing the lag in adjustment brush handling with overall lightroom performance? I am used to making selections very quickly in photoshop (mostly color & contrast adjustments with layer masks) seems that I may be expecting too much from lightroom on this particular computer...
MB

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 01:32:48 pm »

Lightroom 6 does use the GPU in the Develop Module to speed up processing.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html#Troubleshooting

The link lists supported GPUs. Chances are upgrading to system with a supported GPU will solve your problem.

Minimum system requirements & suggested graphics cards

System & graphics card requirements:

1GB of VRAM (Video RAM - RAM on the graphics card). 2GB of dedicated VRAM is suggested for large, high resolution monitors such as 4K & 5K monitors
OpenGL 3.3. If you're not sure if OpenGL 3.3 is fully supported by your card, contact the manufacturer.
Mac OS 10.9 and later (GPU acceleration is disabled on Mac OS 10.8 )
Windows 7 and later
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 01:35:05 pm by jerryrock »
Gerald J Skrocki

AlterEgo

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 01:35:37 pm »

Lightroom 6 does use the GPU in the Develop Module to speed up processing.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html#Troubleshooting

The link lists supported GPUs. Chances are upgrading to system with a supported GPU will solve your problem.

it won't for as long as OP will stay within mac notebooks or mac minis and Adobe does not change the code...

michaelbiondo

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 01:49:25 pm »

Thanks Alter, Would the Mac Pro be substantially faster?
MB

michaelbiondo

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 01:52:47 pm »

Thanks Gerard,
This is how my MBP is set up, any advice on speeding it up?
MB

AlterEgo

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 02:26:07 pm »

Thanks Alter, Would the Mac Pro be substantially faster?
MB

Eric Chan (of Adobe Labs) in one discussion about the performance with ACR9/LR6 wrote "...I also have an NVIDIA Quadro card for testing (in my case, a K5000)...", if that is what they are using for testing you can draw your own conclusions...

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 04:40:16 pm »

Thanks Gerard,
This is how my MBP is set up, any advice on speeding it up?
MB

I don't think you can upgrade the GPU in the MBP and what I posted were Adobe's recommendations.

With that said, I do agree with Alter in that the Camera Raw module does not utilize memory efficiently and can't possibly be using all the available system RAM.
Camera Raw also lags on my system when using the brush tool for masking or editing a mask, I have a MacPro 6,1 with 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 Processor, 64 GB of ram, two AMD FirePro D500 GPUs each with 3GB of Vram, which should be more than adequate to handle the processing.
Gerald J Skrocki

jrsforums

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 07:16:45 pm »

Brush tool does not use GPU.
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up