Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggest a Wide format Printer for Borderless Poster Prints  (Read 2817 times)

brinked

Suggest a Wide format Printer for Borderless Poster Prints
« on: July 04, 2015, 11:34:41 am »

Hey guys.  I want to start offering standard poster prints to my customers.  Up to size 24x36.  Whats a good option under $4,000 to print posters?  Am looking for a reliable printer between 24" - 44" depending on whats more cost effective.  Dont mind going with the 44" if buying 36" wide roll paper will keep cost per poster down.  I will mostly be printing borderless as the prints will mostly have a solid color background most of the time so this is important.  Also ink is a factor as well.

Also any suggestions on sources for good priced poster roll paper of good quality?  I am 2-3 months down the road on this one but am starting to do research now and I cant find anything solid searching for the best wide format options for borderless posters.

hugowolf

Re: Suggest a Wide format Printer for Borderless Poster Prints
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 01:14:10 pm »

What sort of volume do you envisage?

The standard Epson, Canon, and HP pigment ink wide format photo printers would be in your price range, but they are not really designed for what you want.

Ink costs would be in 50 cent/sq ft range, and inkjet coated paper is way more expensive than the uncoated stock you can use with other printing techniques.

They are also not designed for continuous full bleed printing. The overspray ink ends up on sponges either side of the paper and builds up pretty quickly into a mess.

Brian A 

brinked

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 05:52:42 pm »

thanks Brian.

I know that most printers can do full bleed, but that was my concern, if doing mostly full bleed will impact the effectiveness of the printer.

I found the canon IPF750 that advertises itself as a full bleed poster printer.  Its 36" and I found one online for $2,000 which everything said sounds too good to be true.  Is this a good printer?  I honestly cant say I have any experience with canon wide format printers.

aaronchan

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 01:24:18 am »

I would like to suggest you the Canon iPF6400S.
It is a 8 color pigment ink printer with very high speed and borderless printing.
And it's about 2000 dollars as well.

For paper, take a look at this:
http://www.lexjet.com/p-4050-LexJet-8-Mil-Production-Satin-Photo-Paper.aspx
good for poster printing.

if you are looking for something with matte surface, they are this as well:
http://www.lexjet.com/p-2989-LexJet-Premium-Matte-Paper.aspx#Overview

aaron

brinked

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 01:12:35 pm »

thanks Aaron.  I thought all IPF's were the same.  What would be the advantage of the printer you suggested versus the 36" one im looking at?  Does the one you suggested come in a 36" size as well?

aaronchan

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 03:16:07 pm »

thanks Aaron.  I thought all IPF's were the same.  What would be the advantage of the printer you suggested versus the 36" one im looking at?  Does the one you suggested come in a 36" size as well?

No, this series doesn't come in 36", only 24, 44 and 60
the 6400s has a few advantage over the one that you were thinking about
1: pigment vs dye.
2: number of color
3: speed
4: 6400s is more likely a production printer

I used to use the 8300 and 9100 (previous version of this series) and they are real work horse
Pages: [1]   Go Up