Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

gitzo gt2542ls vs. gt3542ls

(1/2) > >>

aizan:
Is the new series 2 systematic really as stable as the series 3 systematic? I will be using it for a 4x5 field camera and for medium format (Pentax 67, Rolleiflex). It looks like all of the camera stores in LA stopped carrying Gitzo a while ago, so I haven't had the opportunity to handle the new versions with the triangular top casting. I remember the older 3 series being rock steady, while the 2 series was a little less sure-footed.

jeffreybehr:
I've had 2 of the 35-series Gitzos but got tired of carrying them and switched to the GT2531LVL (with leveling column).  The latter is lighter and the legs flex a bit more than those of the 35-series 'pods.  In fact, I've never seen the legs of my two 35-series 'pods flex.  So I say 'no', the 25-series Gitzos are not as stable as the 35-series Gitzos.  If camera nonmovement is your primary goal rather than light weight, go with the 35-series.

dwswager:

--- Quote from: aizan on July 03, 2015, 01:45:30 pm ---Is the new series 2 systematic really as stable as the series 3 systematic? I will be using it for a 4x5 field camera and for medium format (Pentax 67, Rolleiflex). It looks like all of the camera stores in LA stopped carrying Gitzo a while ago, so I haven't had the opportunity to handle the new versions with the triangular top casting. I remember the older 3 series being rock steady, while the 2 series was a little less sure-footed.

--- End quote ---

No!  Under no mounted load or external forces, then yes.  But in the real world, where you mount loads and external forces are exerted on the tripod, then no they will perform differently and how different obviously will depend on the loads and forces.

Better design and construction can help overcome less mass, but in general, and within a particular tripod line, the more mass, the better the tripod will perform.  Otherwise, we would all be carrying 2lb tripods.

ErikKaffehr:
Hi,

I don't know. I have the GT3541L but I also have RRS 3-series tripod and the RRS plays in a much higher division. I would say those Gitzo's are overpriced and underperforming. Sorry to say… but that is my experience.

Best regards
Erik

dwswager:

--- Quote from: ErikKaffehr on July 04, 2015, 09:11:29 am ---Hi,

I don't know. I have the GT3541L but I also have RRS 3-series tripod and the RRS plays in a much higher division. I would say those Gitzo's are overpriced and underperforming. Sorry to say… but that is my experience.

Best regards
Erik

--- End quote ---

+1

I also have a RRS 34L and it is very nice.  Tube diameter it is between the 3 and 4 series if I remember, but performs like a 5 series.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version