Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Escaping from Adobe's Creative Cloud  (Read 26469 times)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: Escaping from Adobe's Creative Cloud
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2015, 02:05:17 am »

I work on location in a city about three days a week. I shoot tethered to a Mac laptop. I never bother to log on to my various clients wifi networks. It's facto difficult getting the IT departments to set it up, paranoia rules. I useLR and PS CC. These suit is I work for days at a time with no internet connection.  Never had a single problem

In the past year I have shot in a number of remote wilderness locations for weeks at a time. Lesotho, Namibia, and and three national parks in South Africa. In most of them I didn't even have electricity. I use solar and investors to keep everything charged. Absolutely no connectivity at all. Never had a single problem.

Just lucky I guess. For me  it always works out exactly as Adobe says it will.  Not saying anyone is lying of course. Just saying that there are several narratives.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

CASpyr

• Online portfolio
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2015, 08:26:25 am »

I also spoke with a colleague (who is very computer savvy ), with a LR6 perpetual license for crying out loud, who got locked out of Lightroom LR6 because his firewall blocked Adobe(?) from checking for ..., updates?

I experienced a similar phenomenon. LR 6.0 on perpetual license worked like a charm after installing. Then, due to a problem at my ISP, I had no internet connection whatsoever, and I could not get LR to work for a couple of days. It would start but became unresponsive right off the bat. As soon as the ISP fixed their problem and connectivity was restored, LR was functioning normally again. So yes, even the non-CC version in its default configuration seems to phone home (for updates?), and in a way that functionality is crippled if it can't do so. There has been a short discussion thread regarding this topic here on the LuLa forum.
I don't mind the app 'phoning home' but functionality of the perpetual version must not be affected.
Haven't tested again after upgrading to 6.1. If it's still there, it needs to be fixed.

Christian
Christian Spyr - cspyr.zenfolio.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2015, 09:57:57 am »

Preferences , General, untick Automatically Check for Updates

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2015, 11:14:23 am »

Hi John,

That may be a work-around for an issue that shouldn't exist in the first place. There's nothing wrong with checking for updates, if the user chooses to allow that. But when the application cannot connect to the mother-ship, it should just try another hour/day, and not cripple the application. There's no justification for that, unless something else is going on.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:16:09 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2015, 11:18:09 am »

An excellent final comment for this discussion!

Congratulations, I apparently missed the announcement of you being appointed to moderator ...

Cheers,
Bart

Anthony.Ralph

« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2015, 01:43:12 pm »

Hi John,

That may be a work-around for an issue that shouldn't exist in the first place. There's nothing wrong with checking for updates, if the user chooses to allow that. But when the application cannot connect to the mother-ship, it should just try another hour/day, and not cripple the application. There's no justification for that, unless something else is going on.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart,

Could this lack of response actually just be a delay caused by the time-out whilst waiting for a response from the Adobe server? If the option John mentioned is unticked and the lack of response disappears, then this may be the case.

Anthony.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2015, 01:55:11 pm »

Bart,

Could this lack of response actually just be a delay caused by the time-out whilst waiting for a response from the Adobe server? If the option John mentioned is unticked and the lack of response disappears, then this may be the case.

Hi Anthony,

I suppose that's what John is assuming(?), but I don't know if anybody knows for sure. But even if it were, then it would require a very very poorly written polling routine tot bring a powerful machine to it's knees. That's why I have a hard time believing that that is the real reason, so at best it's a kludge to reduce the system stress, if it works.

Cheers,
Bart

CASpyr

• Online portfolio
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2015, 03:42:00 am »

Hi John,

Cheers,
Bart

Thanks for the tip John which helps as a workaround but I'm with Bart here on this issue. And btw, you can't change the setting when you are faceing the problem, since the app gets unresponsive right after starting up.

Cheers
Christian
Christian Spyr - cspyr.zenfolio.com

Michael West

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2015, 02:30:10 pm »

as one of the few Americans who do no have a credit card..I've run into the brick wall in terms of paying the massive 9.95....a month for the Lightroom Photoshop combination plan.

I can not use a mastercard nor visa branded retail-available" cards available nationwide  at supermarkets and elsewhere..so Ive been reduced to begging the use of a friend's card in return for the cash value of the "rental involved".

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up