Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Escaping from Adobe's Creative Cloud  (Read 26456 times)

Pogo33

Re: Escaping from Adobe's Creative Cloud
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2015, 08:39:09 am »

Let me set the record straight on a couple of points:

1. I experienced an intrusion into one of my computers the first of this year in which I lost "all" of my raw image files. So now I am sensitive to security.
2. I do not believe that Adobe's CC played a part in this breach.
3. With regard to CC, I am only referring to Photoshop and Lightroom which is now part of CC. After the subscription program, I only subscribed to what I need.
4. I confirmed with Adobe that if my computer is log onto the internet I must log into CC to use these CC products.
5. I was the had of a large IT department for a retail company.
6. It is unthinkable to allow a software vendor to delete version releases from ones own computer. Large production shops must have a different agreement with Adobe for product upgrades.
7. I do not question the intent of Adobe with their required CC log-in. I was informed they need this to fight piracy, but pretend for a moment that Adobe was our Federal Government and every-time you opened your computer you had to log into their system. Would that be acceptable?
8. I am not anti Adobe, I still use and value their products and I did use the CC products mentioned above. But it is not what they implied it would be so I am out.
9. I should not have used the term "cool-aid" but there are issues in today's world that people need to open their eyes about.

Earl

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2015, 09:04:03 am »

Earl, these are very helpful clarifications. The combination of your points 1 and 2 suggests we can disentangle security issues from CC issues. Your point 4 would appear to apply only once every 30 days according to Adobe's stated policy and statement of procedure on their website. I agree with your point 6, but that said, they do offer an option to retain the previous version when you commence the update procedure. Re your # 7, I fail to see what we learn by raising hypothetical and irrelevant analogies. Your #8 where you say "it is not what they implied it would be" begs 2 questions in my mind: (1) Did they imply anything - I think a sales policy deals in explicit provisions, not implications, and (2) in what respects is CC not what you think they meant it to be?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2015, 09:14:55 am »

4. I confirmed with Adobe that if my computer is log onto the internet I must log into CC to use these CC products.

This is scary, if true. This potentially cripples one's organization if internet connection is disrupted (and these things always happen with a deadline in sight). A cable being torn up by a local contractor, a power outage, even a DDOS attack addressed at the 'right' address would shut down large numbers of people who's livelihood may depend on it. Such vulnerability should not be part of any process/design, without providing alternatives.

6. It is unthinkable to allow a software vendor to delete version releases from ones own computer. Large production shops must have a different agreement with Adobe for product upgrades.

Again, if true, unacceptable.

7. I do not question the intent of Adobe with their required CC log-in. I was informed they need this to fight piracy, but pretend for a moment that Adobe was our Federal Government and every-time you opened your computer you had to log into their system. Would that be acceptable?

The piracy argument is bogus, CC is only about locking people in for more money than it would have cost them otherwise. But I understand why they want to lead people into believing the anti-piracy angle. I remember the day that the new CC was launched, a number of cracks were already available.
BTW, people who use an illegal version, are not the same people who would have bought/subscribed anyway, so no revenue is lost. In fact, these people may promote the product so someone else may indeed purchase a licence, and that's a revenue increase.

I think the security issue is one of weighing one's risk versus the benefits. For non-pros there is little risk and the access is a benefit. For Pros the risks are potentially catastrophic, the benefits are then of no importance at such a time. It would be wise to create a plan-B scenario if one relies on a single solution too much.

Cheers,
Bart

== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Gerald Barber

• Gerald Barber Photography, LLC
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2015, 09:39:35 am »

To test this, I just closed the CC app on my computer, so I'm no longer logged into CC. I then went into task manager just to make sure that there were no CC processes running in the background that I was unaware of. Once I was sure of this, I opened and used Photoshop CC 2015 on my computer, which is clearly logged into the Internet, since I'm writing and sending this message at the same time, but is not logged into CC. Photoshop works fine under these conditions, consistent with the intermittent (30-day) license check that Adobe reports and not consistent with the claim that, if you are connected to the Internet, you have to be logged into CC in order to use CC products.
Gerald Barber

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2015, 10:21:43 am »

You failed to read the dialog box - as did I. There is an option to retain the old version.

However, you've been very selective about which of Adobe's "good number of marketing assertions with which to convince us to sign on" you chose to judge them by. One assertion you've not quoted was that with CC there would no longer be versions like PS CS7, CS8 etc but that there would just be Photoshop CC. One can interpret removing the previous year's code in exactly that way. In other words, there are many, many "assertions" that one can quote and twist to bolster one's argument.

John
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 10:23:29 am by john beardsworth »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2015, 10:29:12 am »

To test this, I just closed the CC app on my computer, so I'm no longer logged into CC.

So it would seem, as far as identified Adobe services are concerned. But how about other processes? I've read about reports of some verification services that Adobe apparently outsourced to other parties (and I'm not talking about Amazon who host the cloud storage, which is another topic).

I then went into task manager just to make sure that there were no CC processes running in the background that I was unaware of. Once I was sure of this, I opened and used Photoshop CC 2015 on my computer, which is clearly logged into the Internet, since I'm writing and sending this message at the same time, but is not logged into CC.

And what if you are not connected to the internet?

Cheers,
Bart

chez

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2015, 11:09:45 am »

So it would seem, as far as identified Adobe services are concerned. But how about other processes? I've read about reports of some verification services that Adobe apparently outsourced to other parties (and I'm not talking about Amazon who host the cloud storage, which is another topic).

Cheers,
Bart

I've used CC with my Internet connection down without any issues. Just seems like a pile of misinformation swirling around the net as facts.

rdonson

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2015, 11:14:19 am »

Let me set the record straight on a couple of points:

Earl

This is nonsense.  Just examine the "Preferences" for the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app.  

Regards,
Ron

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2015, 11:26:36 am »

I've used CC with my Internet connection down without any issues. Just seems like a pile of misinformation swirling around the net as facts.
Agreed! That's exactly my experience as well. No issues running with out net access.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2015, 11:49:36 am »

Yes, obviously all those who experience problems are just lying, because you have not been affected.

Cheers,
Bart

Iluvmycam

« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2015, 11:49:47 am »

OP...that is the way...the American way of greed. It is in all areas of our life. One day the software firms decided they don't want to spend 30 cents for a DVD so they make us download now. The fruit we buy in the store looks like fruit, but tastes like rubber...or worse rots before it is ripe. Lots of our products have a built in self-destruct time. Sad, but that is our world. I'm lucky, I am not that smart to use PS. I am happy with LR 3,4 and 5!

Good luck!

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2015, 11:54:28 am »

Yes, obviously all those who experience problems are just lying, because you have not been affected.

It's just the way of these things - those who do hit problems are disproportionately more vocal than those who don't. I don't think any outsiders have a real sense of whether recent releases are any more buggy or if QC has indeed been decimated by rampant bean counters.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2015, 12:27:34 pm »

I don't think any outsiders have a real sense ..........

Instead of "thinking", it could be researched: check the same forums archives for say after the two previous releases of Adobe updates to see whether your hypothesis holds up to the evidence. That in fact could be an interesting exercise, just to sort out fact from impression. I wouldn't be spending my time doing this by the way, as I have confidence that whatever application-based problems exist Adobe will get sorted out or post fixes in due course. At the same time, I suggest it's important to sort out which problems are sheer "pilot error" versus application-based. That would probably narrow the scope of the issues.

Gerald Barber

• Gerald Barber Photography, LLC
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2015, 01:08:47 pm »

Cheers,
Bart

If I totally disconnect my computer from the Internet, Photoshop CC 2015 works fine.
If I connect my computer to the Internet, but don't log into CC and don't have CC-designated tasks running, Photoshop CC 2015 still works fine.
Gerald Barber

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2015, 01:31:50 pm »

If I totally disconnect my computer from the Internet, Photoshop CC 2015 works fine.
If I connect my computer to the Internet, but don't log into CC and don't have CC-designated tasks running, Photoshop CC 2015 still works fine.

That's reassuring.

Cheers,
Bart

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2015, 01:34:16 pm »

That's reassuring.
But not surprising! At least to those of us that have tested this over the years and more recently due to the alarmists in the area. The same is true of Lightroom CC of course.

aderickson

« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2015, 01:38:13 pm »

To add to the confusion, Photoshop Elements uses a sign-in method of activation. You have to sign in to what Adobe calls a free Cloud membership to make it work (after the trial period). If you sign out it doesn't work anymore. This is a nice feature to be able to use it different computers.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2015, 04:40:45 pm »

But not surprising! At least to those of us that have tested this over the years and more recently due to the alarmists in the area. The same is true of Lightroom CC of course.

Past Performance is No Guarantee of Future Results ..., so reassuring yes, guarantee, no.

I also spoke with a colleague (who is very computer savvy ), with a LR6 perpetual license for crying out loud, who got locked out of Lightroom LR6 because his firewall blocked Adobe(?) from checking for ..., updates? So I'd say, count your blessings, but do not take them for granted if your livelihood depends on it.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 04:44:48 pm by BartvanderWolf »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2015, 05:12:43 pm »

Past Performance is No Guarantee of Future Results ..., so reassuring yes, guarantee, no.
The only guarantee's are death and taxes.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2015, 06:57:08 pm »

The only guarantee's are death and taxes.

Especially the latter, because they have been known to keep collecting them even from the deceased. :-)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up