Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just fried my Epson R800  (Read 4921 times)

Steve Miller

Just fried my Epson R800
« on: February 19, 2006, 10:35:17 pm »

My Epson R800 stopped working tonight and the only thing I noticed is that it smells like something was burning. I just wanted to check to see if it is worth having Epson fix the printer. By chance, has anyone had this happen to one of their printers? I'll call Epson tomorrow to find out how much it might cost to fix. FYI, I bought the printer in May 2004, how long do these typically last? If it was a $100 or $200 printer for which the ink costs more than the printer, there wouldn't even be a question in my mind of what to do. However, I don't really think of a $400 printer as disposable, thus the question of whether it's worth it to fix.

Of course, getting a new printer allows for the obligatory upgrade, and while an R1800 would be nice, having just bought a new monitor, I'd prefer to avoid an extra $500 hit. Talk about your Catch-22, without a printer it's going to be a bit hard for me to test the color accuracy (after calibration/profiling) of the monitor. Fun times.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

tsjanik

Just fried my Epson R800
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 11:41:53 pm »

Steve:

Unfortunately we live in a disposable world; most devices produced nowadays are use-it-till-it breaks, you can fix it if you want, but it’s usually cheaper to replace.  At least lenses are worth keeping, for now.

Think of it as an opportunity to buy the 1800 with no guilty conscience.

francois

Just fried my Epson R800
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 05:40:32 am »

I had a similar issue with an Epson printer and the repair cost was simply not worth it - about 70% of the price I paid. Epson offered me to purchase a brand new printer for the same [repair] price. I accepted the offer  
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 05:41:48 am by francois »
Francois

Steve Miller

Just fried my Epson R800
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 03:48:27 pm »

Francois and tsjanik,

Thanks for the replies; unfortunately, it's what I expected to hear. I'll call Epson tomorrow to see if they can do anything, but I have to figure I'll be using an R1800 fairly soon.

Steve

francois

Just fried my Epson R800
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 04:08:00 am »

Francois and tsjanik,

Thanks for the replies; unfortunately, it's what I expected to hear. I'll call Epson tomorrow to see if they can do anything, but I have to figure I'll be using an R1800 fairly soon.

Steve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58633\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Steve,
It's always a disappointment when you end up in a dead end. I purchased two identical printers and one is still working fine and the other one never worked as intended. During the warranty period, it went to Epson for repair so often that I can't even remember. It worked so-so for another year and then died. FWIW, the new printer is working as expected.
Good luck!
Francois

Steve Miller

Just fried my Epson R800
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 11:40:39 am »

Francois,

Well, I ended up getting the R1800 directly from Epson. They knocked about 15% off the price (10% off B&H) and it was at my house yesterday. I couldn't resist printing several 13" x 19" borderless prints. WOW! Looking back, I'm actually glad the R800 blew up.

One minor problem that I continue to have is that the prints are still darker than they should be compared to the screen. I'll start another post with more details and to try and get some help.

Thanks again,

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up