Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Large Format Film  (Read 1534 times)

Kaypee

Large Format Film
« on: July 01, 2015, 07:05:44 am »

I'm looking to do some personal work based around architecture and local industry and would like to shoot on large format with the idea of making large art prints in the future. Can someone recommend a starting point for cameras? I'm looking at a low budget and would like the capabilities to tilt/shift too.

Thanks.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
Re: Large Format Film
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 09:22:38 am »

Hi!

Pretty much any of the wood 4x5 field cameras are just fine for your purposes.  4x5 is not that expensive to get started in, and is a lot handier in many ways than the larger formats.

Just search "4x5 camera" on ebay and you'll find tons of options.  Personally, I had a Tachihara which was very functional (albeit about 15 years ago). 

In the modern cameras, the Shen Hao is nice, and they're nice folk to deal with. 

This forum is one of the best places for info: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/

Have fun!

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Kaypee

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 10:07:48 am »

Thanks Nick. How does it work with lenses and mounts? Does each brand of camera have converters?

RomanN.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 11:18:38 am »

All Systems have Different lensboards, some use linhof technika standarts, some sinar.
The important question is what lenses You need to use.
If you use wide angle Till 75 mm all Technika-like or wood camera will be ok.
But if you want to use extrem wide with movements you will need modern camera like sinar f. This is a very cheap camera and all sinar stuff be used with.
All sinar cameras can also be converted to bigger size like 5x7 or 8x10.
If you can spend more than Arca swiss f-line or linhof technikardan would be the first class for architecture.

Kaypee

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 02:46:24 pm »

Quite wide really - this type of length http://www.copypasteculture.com/2012/09/scott-conarroe/

RomanN.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 08:15:00 am »

So i would Say go For sinar f or sinar norma if you want a cheap system that can be easy changed to bigger formats, or go for a smaller and lighter expensive system like arca Swiss f Or linhof technikardan (used to get for 1000 euro)
Anyway you dont loose money by buying used large format stuff becouse you can sale it it if not longer need it for same price.

donbga

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 10:22:25 pm »

Visit the large format photography forum for more comprehensive responses.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/

For your task I don't think Sinars are your best choice. Modern light weight wood field cameras aren't expensive and will serve your needs well.

These days 4x5 is more than adequate if aren't contact printing.

RomanN.

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 06:23:20 am »

Please read my written text exactly: I wrote that the field cameras like Linhof technika or other field cameras will be OK when wide angle lenses till 75 mm would be used. But when somobody want to use extrem wide angle like 47 xl with movements ofcourse he will need a modern optical bench camera: there is no way out of it ( and this guy seems to like to use extrem wide).
 I use both systems: a field camera Linhof master technika and a an optical bench system from Arca Swiss. I find Arca Swiss better than Sinar but the price of an used Arca System is 3 times and more higher than a Sinar System. So for starting in large format Sinar is not the worst choice. Ofcourse they exist some other outstanding camera systems like TOYO VX125 but they are rare to get used and expensive.
Second: this guy want to print big, so maybe he will need to change the format to bigger: 5x7 or 8x10 inch. in this case Sinar is easy and cheap. It is not possible to convert a 4x5 wood fled camera to bigger size: you must in this case buy a new camera.
Field cameras are excellent to travel, very compact and light but they have their disadvantages also.
Also the additional equpment will be important like really good Bino viewfinder and I find only that one from Arca and from Sinar are realy good and right for architecture work where you must compose much more exactly than for landscapes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up