Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lenses and 10d submerged - suggestions?  (Read 4140 times)

ralford

Lenses and 10d submerged - suggestions?
« on: February 19, 2006, 07:29:04 pm »

Had a minor incident yesterday (see below) and would like suggestions on repair (if possible) for soaked lenses (Several IS including 500f4IS).  I presume the 10d is beyond hope.  I doubt the insurance will cover replacement cost of some $10K of gear...

Any suggestions on how to approach Canon for repairs would be immensly appreaciated.

Everyone is ok and when the day is done it's "just stuff"...

Rusty

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 05:06:13 am »

I know you will hate this, but maybe it will save you next time. I belong to USAA insurance, and they insured most of my kit at 6500.00 US. Cost me 80.00 a year. The insurance--anything, dropped, stolen, fire, water, car accident, etc. Anything happens to my stuff, and they replace it no questions.

Just call Canon and tell them what happpned. THey'll give you instructions on shipping it to them, and if they can fix it. Really sorry that happened to you. But don't feel stupid. I've heard that happening to many people. My freind who is a professional photographer dropped his 100-400 L into salt water once.

Had a minor incident yesterday (see below) and would like suggestions on repair (if possible) for soaked lenses (Several IS including 500f4IS).  I presume the 10d is beyond hope.  I doubt the insurance will cover replacement cost of some $10K of gear...

Any suggestions on how to approach Canon for repairs would be immensly appreaciated.

Everyone is ok and when the day is done it's "just stuff"...

Rusty

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58565\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

dwdallam

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 05:06:53 am »

I know you will hate this, but maybe it will save you next time. I belong to USAA insurance, and they insured most of my kit at 6500.00 US. Cost me 80.00 a year. The insurance--anything, dropped, stolen, fire, water, car accident, etc. Anything happens to my stuff, and they replace it no questions.

Just call Canon and tell them what happpned. THey'll give you instructions on shipping it to them, and if they can fix it. Really sorry that happened to you. But don't feel stupid. I've heard that happening to many people. My freind who is a professional photographer dropped his 100-400 L into salt water once.

jeffreyluce

• http://
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 10:07:24 pm »

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention!

I guess buying photo equipment here and there... I never added it all up.  But the thought of loosing it all.... I'm getting additional coverage from my home owners insurance (falls under computer coverage because of the digital camera).

Around $50/year is a small price for piece of mind.
Jeffrey Luce

dwdallam

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 03:46:58 am »

Make sure you understand the difference between "personal item" and "home owners" insurance. I chose persoanl item becsaue there were some things that home owner didn't cover. I can't remeber what it was.

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention!

I guess buying photo equipment here and there... I never added it all up.  But the thought of loosing it all.... I'm getting additional coverage from my home owners insurance (falls under computer coverage because of the digital camera).

Around $50/year is a small price for piece of mind.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59176\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

davaglo

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 06:15:18 pm »

dwdallam;

Thanks for the info. I too have USAA and just insured my equipment, after reading your reply, for $39 dollars a year. Covers everything---good show.

Jerry
jrg
Pages: [1]   Go Up