Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorry but my head is mince right now Leica S or Hasselblad H5D 50c  (Read 21546 times)

Ken R

Re: Sorry but my head is mince right now Leica S or Hasselblad H5D 50c
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 08:31:05 am »

Thanks for all the great feedback up to now............Weather sealing is important to me as I live in Asia and it pisses down with rain a lot. I have been using Leica M gear for two years now so I am familiar with the Leica system, including lightroom, I hate Capture One.................Slooooooooooooooooooow
So right now I am going to stick with my gut feeling and get a new Leica S007 but saying that will try out the Hasselblad when I am in the UK in September visiting family and see it that bowls me over :)

If weather sealing is important I would try the DSLRs first like the D810, the 5DS/R and of course the mirrorless and very compact and light A7RII. Ive handled the Leica S and it handles like a dream. Think of it as a nicer made 1 series Canon body but with a much more simple and clean design. The viewfinder is awesome and the lenses pretty amazing. Next would be the PhaseOne XF body with an IQ back. Absolute tank of a system, heavy but very reliable. Best performance of all when you take into account the sensor options. I have a Hasselblad H1 that I use with my IQ160 back and I like it a lot but it is not a Camera I would like to take out in the wild for landscapes.

I agree that the Leica S body is the best medium format digital body by far to take out and about. It is the most compact, light, tidy, sealed and comfortable to hold. The Pentax 645Z is second (...but the lenses...)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:34:10 am by Ken R »

SanderKikkert

• flickr
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 09:02:58 am »

Jim, not so sure, I think they're actually primary debt holders; thing is most of the debt seems held by the IMF, Germany and France anyway, and what do they care - it's cheaper to just write it all off fast, and stop this chaos in the middle of Europe. So all this moaning and back and forth and the really strange intrusive Obama phone calls to Europe asking them not to let a default happen -who wants to hear from the uncle in the far away country? - must be driven by some private creditors with very good presidential access, eg. the usual suspects Goldmann Sachs & friends. You will remember that Goldman Sachs donated $1M *officially* to the Obama campaign. It's interesting to see that corporations are now allowed unlimited political buy-in, although one might argue that politicians are so honest that they can never be bought, only rented.

Edmund

(emphasis mine)

That's odd Edmund, GS is the same company who have recently in a joint-venture with Koch Industries bought the entire company I work for (Flint Group).  I write odd because the Koch brothers alledgedly *donated* about $500K to keep Obama from being elected
These guys must have pretty serious discussions on their boardmeetings then  :D :D :D unless of course they keep the politics from the boardroom, wouldn't know, never been in one except on a building tour.

Sorry for my off topic response.  Yet my guess is as good as Edmunds in this case: go for the Leica, it looks sexy and those lenses...hmmm

Kind Regards, Sander

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 09:33:15 am »

(emphasis mine)

That's odd Edmund, GS is the same company who have recently in a joint-venture with Koch Industries bought the entire company I work for (Flint Group).  I write odd because the Koch brothers alledgedly *donated* about $500K to keep Obama from being elected
These guys must have pretty serious discussions on their boardmeetings then  :D :D :D unless of course they keep the politics from the boardroom, wouldn't know, never been in one except on a building tour.

Sorry for my off topic response.  Yet my guess is as good as Edmunds in this case: go for the Leica, it looks sexy and those lenses...hmmm

Kind Regards, Sander

I agree 100% that the Leica S-007 is the better option..........thanks :)

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 11:35:42 am »

Weather sealing, street photography, tracking moving subjects... looks like you really want an MF camera to do things a 35mm rig is destined for.
You can teach a horse to dance, but it won't be pretty.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 01:18:53 pm »

Hi

Form factor and sensor are 2 different issues here, personally I find the S to be a perfect size to hand carry and use it everywhere, the H is a beast for walking around and street shots, for me it would be a no go, I'm in West Africa now with the S, 35, 70 and 180 and it's manageable, the H with 3 lenses would probably be too much for me, you might be different.

Once you know what you like from the ergonomics then picking the sensor is easy, either the dreadful CCD in the 006 as voidshitter points out, I'm amazed anyone can get a decent shot out of it or the saviour of humanity, CMOS, which will turn all your photographs in to world beating works of art. You can have either in the H or the S.

If it's rubbish weather then for me the S is the only choice, not a great photograph but a quick grab shot yesterday in torrential rainy season here in Mali with the 180 on the rubbish S 006, I wouldn't use the H in these conditions but the S is no problem.

Ultimately your personal preference will dictate what you can get the most from, test, try and enjoy!

Mat
Fantastic thanks for sharing

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 01:36:38 pm »

Done deal,
I have made a deal for all my Leica M gear in exchange for a new Leica S-007 and will also get the 120mm 70mm and 30mm all CS lenses. I will also have a S2 to play with until the 007 arrives.
All we need now is for Leica to get there sh{t together and start shipping 007's

I see it has IOS  to 6400 so that's will be something I will need to read up on :)

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 03:24:23 pm »

I see it has IOS  to 6400 so that's will be something I will need to read up on :)

Judging a camera's low light performance by looking at the ISO settings is like judging a car's top speed by looking at the speedometer. Actually, it's worse than that, since the numbers on the speedometer relate to physical measurements. Maybe a better analogy is the dials on a guitar amplifier. Some people, like the musicians in Spinal Tap, are impressed if the numbers go to 11. Most are not.

The reason why the ISO setting doesn't mean much is that the shadow noise at the highest ISO setting is entirely up to the camera manufacturer. The only thing that's keeping the max setting from hitting seven digits is self-imposed restraint on the part of the people who designed the camera.  To add insult to injury, there is no universal, must follow, standard as to midtone values in raw files versus light levels and exposure at any given ISO, leading some manufacturers to be conservative in that regard, and some to be, shall we say, optimistic. In the M240, Leica is on the optimistic side. I don't know about the S series.

Jim

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 06:09:08 pm »

Done deal,
I have made a deal for all my Leica M gear in exchange for a new Leica S-007 and will also get the 120mm 70mm and 30mm all CS lenses. I will also have a S2 to play with until the 007 arrives.
All we need now is for Leica to get there sh{t together and start shipping 007's

I see it has IOS  to 6400 so that's will be something I will need to read up on :)

Forgive me for sounding extremely rude. It's kinda what I do.
I predict two things in the future. Either you will now disappear from this forum without a trace or you will be back in a few months complaining your ass off about how the leica didn't live up to your lofty expectations.

Either way, viel Spaß.

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 06:26:42 pm »

Forgive me for sounding extremely rude. It's kinda what I do.
Well you are showing your colour's off well
You also have no idea what you're talking about............

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 06:32:09 pm »

Judging a camera's low light performance by looking at the ISO settings is like judging a car's top speed by looking at the speedometer. Actually, it's worse than that, since the numbers on the speedometer relate to physical measurements. Maybe a better analogy is the dials on a guitar amplifier. Some people, like the musicians in Spinal Tap, are impressed if the numbers go to 11. Most are not.

The reason why the ISO setting doesn't mean much is that the shadow noise at the highest ISO setting is entirely up to the camera manufacturer. The only thing that's keeping the max setting from hitting seven digits is self-imposed restraint on the part of the people who designed the camera.  To add insult to injury, there is no universal, must follow, standard as to midtone values in raw files versus light levels and exposure at any given ISO, leading some manufacturers to be conservative in that regard, and some to be, shall we say, optimistic. In the M240, Leica is on the optimistic side. I don't know about the S series.

Jim
Jim what's that got to do with buying a Leica S mate?
All cameras have IOS just some have more than others
Anyway mate thanks for the feedback 😊

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 07:12:36 pm »

Done deal,

Enjoy your gear, mate. Come back and show us what you do with it!

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Ken R

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 07:47:25 pm »

Done deal,

I see it has IOS  to 6400 so that's will be something I will need to read up on :)

You are gonna love the Leica S system. It is a joy to use. The lenses are awesome and work great even wide open. The out of focus rendering of the lenses (bokeh) is also very smooth and nice.

People in this and other forums nitpick sensors to shreds but the reality is that a camera system is not only the sensor. And the one in the S2 is not horrible by any means and im sure the one in the 007 is gonna be much better at higher isos and lower light levels plus it will have greater DR.

Looking forward to reading about your experience with the system.

JV

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 08:10:06 pm »

Done deal,

Congratulations!  I own the S2 and I am very pleased with it. 

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 11:49:41 pm »

Enjoy your gear, mate. Come back and show us what you do with it!

Edmund
Cheers Edmund.............i will defiantly do that :)

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 08:11:13 am »

CCD VERSES COMOS Sensor
Please can someone help me understand the Pro's and cons of these 2 sensors
Example for landscape and studio work what would be the most desired?

Ken R

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 10:09:52 am »

CCD VERSES COMOS Sensor
Please can someone help me understand the Pro's and cons of these 2 sensors
Example for landscape and studio work what would be the most desired?

I think Fyodor Dostoyevsky's "The Karamazov Brothers" is a faster and easier read than trying to read all of the forum posts on the CCD vs CMOS debate. It is an endless debate.

In short, if you need/want extreme shadow recovery at base iso, clean extreme high iso and very long exposure image quality and great live view then you are better served by the more recent CMOS sensors. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:11:54 am by Ken R »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2015, 02:50:25 pm »

Hi Ken,

Excellent summary. I have some reservations about high ISO, though.

Best regards
Erik

I think Fyodor Dostoyevsky's "The Karamazov Brothers" is a faster and easier read than trying to read all of the forum posts on the CCD vs CMOS debate. It is an endless debate.

In short, if you need/want extreme shadow recovery at base iso, clean extreme high iso and very long exposure image quality and great live view then you are better served by the more recent CMOS sensors. 
Erik Kaffehr

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2015, 04:54:05 pm »

what is the max size CF card the Leica S006 can use ...can it use a 128GB ?

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2015, 05:41:42 pm »

If you search for "CCD VS CMOS" on Amazon, "Pandora's box" shows up in the related products section.
True story.

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2015, 05:45:00 pm »

what is the max size CF card the Leica S006 can use ...can it use a 128GB ?
Will a 128GB card work?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up