Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson S70 Ultrachrome  (Read 5603 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Epson S70 Ultrachrome
« on: June 30, 2015, 09:59:11 am »

For fine art printing can this 10 color eco-solvent produce results as good as the pigment ink printers? Is it true that there is no need to coat a canvas print from a solvent printer? What are the archival properties of this printer?
Mike

Landscapes

Re: Epson S70 Ultrachrome
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 02:25:05 am »

I can't comment on most of your questions, but I do sometimes need to get bigger prints made than my 24 inch printer can do and the local place uses an Epson EcoSolvent printer (not sure of the exact model though).  The surface for sure doesn't need to be coated and its extra durable.  The canvas itself I find has even more stretch than the Epson Exhibition Canvas I use in my aqueous printer, but its similar.  It smells a bit, but from my understanding, its nothing like what a real solvent printer would be like (hence why this is eco solvent).  You really can't go wrong for canvas printing.  I'm not sure about longevity, or color gradation or even resolution possible given that the files I give them aren't super crisp in a big size, but the canvas is for sure durable enough that it doesn't need any coating.  Its almost like the ink gets melted into the surface and becomes one with it.  I think its very similar to how they print outdoor signs and hence why its so durable.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 03:52:20 am »

I had problems with this printer on cotton and semi cotton canvases - no matter how I tried I couldn't get reasonable Dmax. The ink in dark areas was "washing itself" from the top of cotton weaves. I did tests with canvases from many suppliers, but no love. Maybe my client didn't try really good canvases, optimised for this kind of inkset.

The results on poly canvas were excellent, I've never seen such stunning quality on any other solvent printer, and it's pretty close to water-based inkjet quality. But my overall impression is that Epson's super-eco-eco-eco-solvent ink is much more demanding than typical eco-solvent ink, and in case of many ecosolvent media like canvases and wallpapers can be a real PITA and calibration nightmare. My advise is to give it a good test drive before you buy it.

As any other solvent printer it's durable - the pigment is melted into the surface, so after it gets dry it's virtually like laminate. In case of water-based inkjet the pigment creates a layer on top of paper/canvas coating, so it's much less scratch resistant.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 01:43:56 pm by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 10:38:50 am »

Unless you absolutely need a 64" machine I would jump on the Roland 540.
Its about $10K less and does some of the slickest contour cutting.
I would personally never buy any solvent machine of this size without a cutter.

Referring to the Versacamm not the MT model which is twice the cost.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:01:36 pm by Dan Berg »

johnATshadesofpaper

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 01:54:38 pm »

Dan,

Does that versacamm unit have 10 colors like the S70? I am not familiar with the rolands regarding, if the printer is down can you still cut and if the cutter is down can you still print? Not sure about that. Most shops we deal with like to have the separate solutions this way they can still either cut/print. Again I am not sure if the roland allows for that if one part of the unit is down. Would certainly be something to look into.

John Ferriola
856-787-9200
www.shadesofpaper.com

aaronchan

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 02:34:30 pm »

besides the s70, roland and mimaki have system that could print more than cmyk 4 color
roland has lc, lm and lk
and mimaki has lc lm and orange
they can also carry white ink or silver ink.

I have worked as a consultant for many printshop in china, i can say almost all of them doesnt really use print & cut machine, they rather have the finished print out to be cut on the other machine or just by labor. most of the reason is if u print and cut on the same machine, actually it will slow down the workflow. plus, most of them will laminate the print roll by roll before the cut or mount on anything other substract.

aaron

Mike Sellers

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 08:00:57 am »

Does the canvas print from a latex printer need to be coated? How does it compare to the pigment ink printer output?
Mike

sunsetcoast

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 02:11:24 pm »

The same exact solvent print heads made by Epson are used in Roland, Mumaki's and Mutoh's so there isn't a huge difference.  The HP Latex printers are incredible and is much more durable than Solvent.  You can take a penny and scratch the canvas over and over and it will not come off from the HP L-Series.  Latex is taking the market by storm and does not require any ventilation, it is also extremely "green" and there are no big, nasty waste tanks like the Epson's.

Mike Sellers

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 03:26:01 pm »

Latex sounds like a solution for canvas but can it print on papers?
Mike

sunsetcoast

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 10:35:21 am »

Yes, it absolutely prints on paper.  Latex can print on uncoated material and is also compatible with most aqueous products.  Solvent requires long dry times and energy sucking heaters.  Latex is just flat out amazing.  I've spoken with LexJet about it, their reps seem to be the most knowledgeable.

jdoyle1713

• http://www.shadesofpaper.com
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 10:40:20 pm »

Mike

Get In Your car drive to my Place.. Ill Show you the macdhione and How it works..I Know Problems ect..Its all in how you feed the material and How You Profile it!

This Unit works Great on Fine art Papers ( Whats available) and a horse On canvas..

The Only Problem is that Henrey Hasnt Stamped a Longevity dazte on it.. However If cars and wraps On Vinyal get 7 yrs in sun outdoors what will a canvas In The House get? Just Throwing it out there.

Cheers
Jim
Shades Of Paper
856-787-9200
Jim Doyle
[url=http://www.shadesofpaper.

sunsetcoast

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 08:34:10 am »

Until color gamut and sharpness is improved it's not going to be accepted by the fine art market.  Décor and ecommerce yes, but it does not look like an aqueous print.  I signed up for this... you guys may want to check it out.  http://lexjet.com/academy 

They have the best latex product line. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up