Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Sony plus Cambo Actus  (Read 11145 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
New Sony plus Cambo Actus
« on: June 30, 2015, 09:18:30 am »

Anyone anxious to use the new 42mp Sony with the Actus? I think the only thing that will keep me from buying this combo would be a Sigma FF Foveon body.
Mike

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
Re: New Sony plus Cambo Actus
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 04:28:35 pm »

I am very much looking forward to the new A7r2. Currently i am using the A7r on the Actus with a bunch of Digitars, Apo-Rodagons and Schneider HM lenses.

It's a fantastic system, the only thing missing is a way to tether the live view to the computer, currently I am using a Extra screen via HDMI, which is ok, but missing out on many features live view tethering offers.

I haven't read anything about the tethering features of the mark2 , but I am not holding my breath.

Currently I am working on a free project with that combo, where we use the rather dim light of my studio's basement for stills. 8 second exposure with beautiful colors and fantastic detail.

I don't expect to have a much better image quality with the new camera, but the current one is such an unpleasant camera to shoot handheld, starting with terrible ergonomics, continueing with a horrible shutter, both sound and pressure point, to the strange looking EVF and the worst menue currently on the market.
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 11:29:27 pm »

Me too. I haven't been this anxious since the announcement of the 5D2.
Since I already have both 24 and 17 TS lenses I am not considering the "Cambus"   ;)
Besides, I've been waiting for twelve years for MFD to come to sane prices. Well, actually it's here with the 645Z but since FF has come a long way, I'd rather wait for the "Z" with the double FF sensor.
Who knows and we all will get lucky and get a 645Z full-framer in the next iteration!
Hope for the best but be prepared for the second best!  :D
Eduardo

Anyone anxious to use the new 42mp Sony with the Actus? I think the only thing that will keep me from buying this combo would be a Sigma FF Foveon body.
Mike
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 11:34:01 pm by uaiomex »

RobertJ

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 04:25:25 pm »

Geesbert, what's the shortest lens you can focus with the Actus and a Sony mirrorless camera?

I saw this: https://www.cambo.com/en/actus-mini/cambo-actus-mini-view-camera/acb-310 which lets you use a Rodenstock 32mm, but that would be without movements, right?

What about Canon/Nikon?  What's the shortest Schneider/Rodenstock you could use?

Mike Sellers

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 10:09:49 pm »

Geesbert,
Are the knobs on the Actus so small as to be hard to adjust for anyone with large hands? Is it a " joy" to use in the field?
Mike

BobDavid

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 12:02:41 am »

I love the Actus. I use it with an Oly EM5-II. The multi-shot files are stunning. My only complaint is that the widest lens that works really well with the regular bellows is a Rodenstock Rodagon 60mm WA. I have a mint Rodagon 40mm WA that is too short--maybe it'll work with the WA bellows, maybe not. I've been using a Rodenstock APO 80mm N too. That lens is absolutely stunning. And finally, I picked up an El Nikkor 105mm f/4 N that is quite excellent. I've had to design a compendium lens shade to eliminate flare/ghosting. Enlarger lenses are highly susceptible to flair.

The Actus is a blast to use in the field. I am using a little Giottos tripod with a  Manfrotto 410 head. A geared head is a big plus.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:05:22 am by BobDavid »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 01:59:57 am »

I love the Actus. I use it with an Oly EM5-II. The multi-shot files are stunning. My only complaint is that the widest lens that works really well with the regular bellows is a Rodenstock Rodagon 60mm WA. I have a mint Rodagon 40mm WA that is too short--maybe it'll work with the WA bellows, maybe not. I've been using a Rodenstock APO 80mm N too. That lens is absolutely stunning. And finally, I picked up an El Nikkor 105mm f/4 N that is quite excellent. I've had to design a compendium lens shade to eliminate flare/ghosting. Enlarger lenses are highly susceptible to flair.

The Actus is a blast to use in the field. I am using a little Giottos tripod with a  Manfrotto 410 head. A geared head is a big plus.

Have you considered mounting the Actus on a pano head to compensate for the lack of wide glass?

cheers,
Bernard

Mike Sellers

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 07:30:37 am »

Bob,
Very interesting. Does that Oly have focus peaking which I think would help with the use of the tilt function. How large are those files?
Mike

BobDavid

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 10:01:55 am »

Have you considered mounting the Actus on a pano head to compensate for the lack of wide glass?

cheers,
Bernard

The theoretical range of shift is 40mm (L20, 0, R20). I use 15, 0, 15 without problem. I will not use a pano head with this system. This camera is a tool that I use for specific applications. It really is a great piece of kit. My only nit is that the swing detente is not super accurate, so I am careful to double check focus on the left and right edges of the frame. The Olympus viewfinder is really, really good. I focus with the lenses wide open in live as well as adjust swings and tilts. Then I stop down, take a photo, and review the file at 5X magnification. Manual focusing with this setup is a breeze. The Oly EVFs are very good. It's a lot of fun using this scaled down view camera and being able to compose without a faint upside down, reversed image on ground glass.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:08:47 am by BobDavid »

BobDavid

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 10:07:48 am »

Bob,
Very interesting. Does that Oly have focus peaking which I think would help with the use of the tilt function. How large are those files?
Mike

I do not use focus peaking with this setup. It really isn't necessary. The Oly EVFs are superb, and it's a cinch to review a file at 5x and beyond to check focus. I didn't find focus peaking with the Sony A7 to be super precise. The Olys are easier to use. As mentioned earlier, if shooting still lifes or static landscapes, the 8-shot mode on the EM-5 II is impressive.

RobertJ

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 06:02:44 am »

Can someone answer this?

Cambo says that along with the Nikon F bayonet lens plate, the Actus with a Sony mirrorless can focus Nikon lenses to infinity.  So does that mean you can put a Zeiss 21, 25 f/2 ZF, Otus, or whatever, and be able to tilt/swing with a Sony on the Actus?  Because...that would be neat.

BobDavid

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 09:25:55 am »

I have a hack for using a Rodenstock Rodagon 40mm WA on the Actus. This was taken with an Olympus EM5-II. I use the Actus exclusively for telephoto,  stitching, and still-life photography. My only nit about the Actus is the swing detente is a bit sloppy.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 09:31:27 am by BobDavid »
Pages: [1]   Go Up