Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the new Firmware update for the Fujifilm XT 1 cumulative  (Read 5786 times)

Praki

I have not upgraded the firmware on my Fuji XT1 since I bought it in summer of last year. I know there was a firmware update in Dec. of 2014. Can I go directly from my firmware from June 2014 to the version 4 that was released recently? Tried looking for that info on Fuji site or on Lula with no success. Thanks.

brianrybolt

Re: Is the new Firmware update for the Fujifilm XT 1 cumulative
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 05:57:58 am »

I have not upgraded the firmware on my Fuji XT1 since I bought it in summer of last year. I know there was a firmware update in Dec. of 2014. Can I go directly from my firmware from June 2014 to the version 4 that was released recently? Tried looking for that info on Fuji site or on Lula with no success. Thanks.

I don't remember if it is or not but Fuji will tell you in their documentation.  Good luck,
Brian

ario

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 07:40:54 am »

Yes, you can just install the latest FW no matter which version your camera has now.

Petrus

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 07:42:49 am »

I just updated my X-T1. There were no warnings anywhere that you should make all missed upgrades before getting the latest one. I have skipped some. It is a full firmware package.

They have eye-focus now, you can choose which one, right or left eye. But not for the closer one. Time for 4.0.1 fix...

Praki

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 07:49:47 am »

Thanks for the info. Time to update.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 09:23:33 am »

They have eye-focus now, you can choose which one, right or left eye. But not for the closer one. Time for 4.0.1 fix...

That is just stupid, why would you want to have eye focus if not to focus on the closest eye (99% of the times)?
I'll probably still install it today but so far the feedback has been so so.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 09:56:16 am »

The only rule in photography that you cannot break is 'keep nearest eye in focus'.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

brianrybolt

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 10:01:25 am »

I'de like to hear from a Fujifilm representative about this error.  How could such a mistake been made - it is so elemental that the closet eye is what you focus on as had been said here.  Fuji really needs to keep their finger on the pulse of what they are doing and delivering to the buying public.  OK, everyone makes mistakes but this takes it beyond credibility.

Brian

Petrus

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 11:58:01 am »

It has been shown again and again that engineers design cameras and firmware, not photographers.

Eye focus is a good idea, having automatic closer eye focus would have been the icing on the cake. I suppose this left or right choice is also useful. I have not tested the "auto" setting, maybe it picks the closer one as default. Then all would be good. And all the ranting gone to waste...

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 02:27:26 pm »

From Fuji http://fujifilm-x.com/af/en/af_mode/eye_af.html

Eye Detection AF has three options: Auto, Right Eye Priority and Left Eye Priority. Auto will automatically focus on the eye closer to the camera and is recommended when the subject is not looking straight at the camera or when shooting with a wide aperture for shallow depth-of-field.
Regards,
Ron

Petrus

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 02:56:27 pm »

Auto it is then. I tested the system quickly, and the auto setting did not work all too well, while the L or R nailed it every time. Anyway the face detection/eye focus does not seem to work all that good when shooting close portraits where face more or less fills the screen. At least then the L or R worked much better. Lens was 56mm f/1.2.

Anyway I do not see much reason to complain, new system seems to work to some extent, and we have survived perfectly without it for 175 years or so.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 10:03:48 pm »

I just installed it and did a quick test.
The auto does favor the closest eye although in a couple of shots I think it chose the the one farther; upon review I could not find that much of a difference in focus between the eyes though so overall did ok.
Poor light, 35 @ 1.4, not that many shots though.

Too little time to say if there was much difference in focus speed. In face/eye focus it doesn't use the PDAF anyway.
I used the zone area quickly; it looks cool. I'll need much more time to see if it feels better/faster.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 04:19:30 pm »

I installed 4.00 this morning, and have to say, I am impressed with the improvement with AF in low light.  I feel it's a huge improvement and well worth the upgrade.  I am getting correct AF in very low light, 100% hits and no misses.  The actual images are also tack sharp.

Kudos to Fuji for this upgrade and the continuance of the quality of the XT-1 family of cameras.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up