Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best sharpening Scheme For the Web?  (Read 5391 times)

Pete JF

Best sharpening Scheme For the Web?
« on: June 29, 2015, 03:53:24 pm »

Hi Folks,

Prepping some images for Web use and wondering what kind of scheme you guys are using for web-bound images?

Do you add a bit of sharpening in the Develop module and then, when converting images to Jpeg, select "sharpen for screen" in the given doses?

Is there a better way to zone in on what you want?

I'm in Lightroom 5

Thanks.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Best sharpening Scheme For the Web?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 04:16:39 pm »

The sharpening in Develop is not related to web use, but is about correcting the softness of the raw file. Apply it on that basis.

You then apply export sharpening. One key for web use is to export images at exactly the dimensions at which they will be used on the web, and apply LR export sharpening. This means you can review the JPEGs and see exactly how the sharpening affects them. However, how they will be used on the web can vary and some web applications will apply sharpening, in which case you might not even want to sharpen in export. You may want to explain a bit more detail about what you're doing - eg building a static web site or uploading full res images which will be resized by the server.

Pete JF

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 04:22:12 pm »

Hi John and thanks,

I'm preparing these for submission to a jury for a show.

The final work will be in printed form but some images may be on a show related portion of  the institutions website.

I haven't even delved into Export sharpening. I've only used the 'capture sharpening' aspect of LR5 and then sharpened in old standby Photokit Sharpener.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 04:37:37 pm »

You know Lr sharpening is based on Photokit's principles (code), so you have the same capture / creative / output concepts. Just export a variety of images with different levels of sharpening, and make sure you export them at sizes at which you think they will be displayed. For similar multi-use tasks, I'd generally supply separate JPEGs for each use - and cross my fingers that someone uses the right ones ;)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:37:01 am »

Prepping some images for Web use and wondering what kind of scheme you guys are using for web-bound images?
http://creativepro.com/out-of-gamut-thoughts-a-sharpening-workflow/
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:38:18 pm by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

t6b9p

• BeyondVisible
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 12:41:07 pm »

Andrew

your link has an error and needs to be corrected - remove the double http

regards

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 03:21:58 pm »

Hi Folks,

Do you add a bit of sharpening in the Develop module and then, when converting images to Jpeg, select "sharpen for screen" in the given doses?

I'm in Lightroom 5

Thanks.

I have an external simple viewing app (Preview in Mac OS) immediately open the downsized for web jpeg to check my LR export output sharpening settings which can vary (Glossy Paper Low, Standard or High, rarely use Screen settings) according to the distance of the subject in the image and fineness of detail like say a landscape vs macro shots of insects and flowers. Resolution of source image will affect results as well.

It's the fastest and simplest way since LR previews don't show exactly what downsizing will do to image edge detail.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 03:23:37 pm by Tim Lookingbill »

sharperstill

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 04:54:12 am »

I use Tony Kuyper's web sharpening actions that come with his luminosity panel & find them excellent. I often tone them down slightly (via layer opacity) depending on the image and how far it has been downsized.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0RTYpIbJSI
Jon

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 11:53:13 am »

Hi Folks,

I'm in Lightroom 5

Thanks.

I sharpen in detail panel in Lightroom with the following parameters as default up to f/11: 50/0.8/70/30 and f/16: 50/1.0/100/30. That is for high frequency detail like landscapes etc.

In export via publish or straight export I use sharpen for screen with the standard option. I haven't seen any reason to do more than that.

graeme

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 12:16:14 pm »

The sharpening in Develop is not related to web use, but is about correcting the softness of the raw file. Apply it on that basis.

You then apply export sharpening. One key for web use is to export images at exactly the dimensions at which they will be used on the web, and apply LR export sharpening. This means you can review the JPEGs and see exactly how the sharpening affects them. However, how they will be used on the web can vary and some web applications will apply sharpening, in which case you might not even want to sharpen in export. You may want to explain a bit more detail about what you're doing - eg building a static web site or uploading full res images which will be resized by the server.

Hi John

Don't suppose you know if Squarespace will automatically apply sharpening. On their advice page ( https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206542517 ) they state that they will automatically resize the image to seven different sizes. Should I apply output sharpening to the 1500px wide images that I upload? ( Maybe I'll use 2500px width ).

Graeme
Pages: [1]   Go Up