Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-T1 new firmware 4.0 and plugin  (Read 13903 times)

rdonson

Re: Fuji X-T1 new firmware 4.0 and plugin
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 09:27:01 am »

Regards,
Ron

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 09:36:55 am »

Ron

Thanks for the post and links. Have you installed it yet? 

I am really hoping to see AF improve to in low light.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 10:04:21 am »

Paul, I have installed with it and played with it a bit.  The most notable difference for me so far was focusing on the 60mm f/2.4 Macro lens.  When using the PD focus points the focus speed was dramatically improved.  Its not lightning fast as some other primes but I never expected that. 

There is a bit of a learning curve with all the new features.
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 10:35:10 am »

with regards to the Lr plugin for tethering....

I'm perplexed how Fuji thought Mac users would uncompress a .EXE file.
Regards,
Ron

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 11:09:06 am »

Any updates after this upgrade?
I seem to have some issues with the focus, both accuracy but mostly selection point. It seems to choose the  background even more than I recall which tends to be quite annoying. I've lost more shots than I recall losing prior to this upgrade. I was rushing more than usual but I don't think this explains it.

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 11:29:21 am »

There are only a few very sketchy rumors about future updates beyond FW 4.0. 

For me, FM 4.0 has resulted in better AF.  In some cases much better AF.  Settings now play a bigger role and situational needs for AF should be part of the setup for determining AF configuration.  The 9 PDAF points have been a boon for me.

What kind of AF problems are you experiencing?

I've found a few articles that helped me understand FW 4.0 better and perhaps they might be of use.

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2015/07/22/fuji-xt1-firmware-4-0-review/

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/pdf/x_t1_x_t10_af_handbook_01.pdf

Regards,
Ron

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 11:43:47 am »

4.0 improved AF for my X-T1 dramatically.  Low light misses are just not there anymore.  This is with the 60mm, 14mm, 18-55mm and the 55-200. The 55-200 was always a problematic lens before this firmware.  One hit, solid, and shoot. 

I have to say, thanks Fuji, well done.  

Still would love to see iso 100 in raw, but I guess for some reason that just can't happen.  

My only issue with the camera, the fact that early versions have the flush buttons on the back around the menu button, which don't give a very tactical feel.  Something Fuji did fix on later versions of the X-T1. 

Paul
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 11:45:54 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 02:02:29 pm »

Paul,

I "fixed" or "improved" the Fuji D pad on my X-T1 using Sugru based on this tip from Elvind Rohne.  It may not be as pretty as I'd like but it does the trick and I don't fumble around with those 4 buttons any more.

https://erohne.wordpress.com/2015/01/26/how-to-improve-the-fujifilm-x-t1-autofocus/

P.S.  My 60mm is a new lens with FW 4.0 when it comes to AF
Regards,
Ron

BAB

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 12:39:43 am »

If the focus square is small and the image has a contrasty bright background the focus shifts behind the subject for me also. High speed continual focus while your panting is worthless. I'm back to selecting the largest focus square that seems to nail the focus, but you can't pan and shoot expecting to get sharp tack focus. Also I shoot manual meter mostly and thanks to someone mentioning the T shutter setting and using the front wheel I'm nailing my exposures. The focus system is real good hitting a stationary subject while your stationary beyond that sorry Fuji as much as I like the camera I can't count on getting a sharp image. So unfortunately that eliminates me using the Fuji X t1 for a lot of work. In the next Fuji maybe they will fix the auto focus system
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 03:28:24 pm »

Paul,

I "fixed" or "improved" the Fuji D pad on my X-T1 using Sugru based on this tip from Elvind Rohne.  It may not be as pretty as I'd like but it does the trick and I don't fumble around with those 4 buttons any more.

https://erohne.wordpress.com/2015/01/26/how-to-improve-the-fujifilm-x-t1-autofocus/

P.S.  My 60mm is a new lens with FW 4.0 when it comes to AF

Ron,

Thanks for the link, great idea.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 04:01:13 pm »

I'll go over that link, thanks. I did read a review on fujirumors prior though.

I'm still trying to figure exactly in what situation I have issues but I think the most common one is when I focus on a moving object or person using the AF-S as opposed to the continuous focus. It tends to lock very often on the background despite the person not moving fast at all, being not very close and the focus point is clearly on them. I don't recall having issues like this before and I use AF-S most of the times, even for moving targets. And this happened with various focus point sizes.

I think it has some issues with locking focus where it needs also to but I'm not sure this was not coincidental, although I seem to notice again the preference for the background which should not be the default behavior, it should try to focus on the closest object by default.

rdonson

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 05:18:12 pm »

When shooting things that move I now tend to stick to the 9 PDAF points in the center.  That dramatically improves my hit rate.  Continuous focus works but it sometimes drives me crazy for some reason.  I makes me think I'm losing my eyesight as it goes in and out.  Quite distracting.

Perhaps all this is because I'm so used to back button focus with my Canon gear.  I wish Fuji had something that worked like back button focus.
Regards,
Ron

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 05:47:31 pm »

Continuous focus is trickier to set up well. The first thing is to make sure face detection is off.

Perhaps all this is because I'm so used to back button focus with my Canon gear.  I wish Fuji had something that worked like back button focus.
You could try switching to manual focus on the front and then use the AF-L button.
David

rdonson

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 08:38:14 pm »

Continuous focus is trickier to set up well. The first thing is to make sure face detection is off.
You could try switching to manual focus on the front and then use the AF-L button.
David

Thanks, David.  I don't use Face Detection.  Manual focus won't cut the mustard for sports.  AF-L on the X-T1 seems like its only for static situations like zone focusing. 
Regards,
Ron

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 09:59:23 pm »

Yes, I don't think the AF-L button will give you fast enough focus. I haven't really tested the XT-1 for continuous focus on fast moving subjects yet. Some people say it works fine but others have a high fail rate. It may depend on the lens and the light levels.

rdonson

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 12:45:01 pm »

David, I think its also dependent on expectations.  If you're just shooting sports for the heck of it and a 25-50% hit rate is acceptable then the Fuji will suffice for a number of sports.  Shooting motorcycles in bright daylight isn't much a a test for a number of good mirrorless cameras.  Most will provide a good, high hit rate on AF.

If you're shooting for more serious reasons then a real sports camera with longer lenses is the ticket for the AF and the longer lenses.  Friday night high school football games in the typically poorly lit field is a great testing ground for sports photography gear. 

I expect this to change in the next year or two with the advent of better sensors, more PDAF points and faster processors in the mirrorless world.  Sony kind of points the way with the a7rII (although not an action camera) and Samsung with the NX-1. 

I do look forward though to Fuji's release in 2016 of the 100-400 "pro" lens.  Birds and elk won't stand a chance then.   ;D

These days I just shoot charity run, cycling and tri events for free as a service to the organizers and I enjoy it immensely.  I'm using the Fuji X-T1 more and more for these events as the conditions and speeds are within reach for the X-T1.

Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up