Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

variable ND filters

(1/3) > >>

Neil Williams:
Guys
What if any variable ND filters are you using......Singh Ray, B+W ??? For both landscape and outside portraiture.

Otto Phocus:
I have a Marumi Variable ND filter and I am very happy with it.  Good quality at a good price.

albertknappmd:
B+W. very satisfied.

dwswager:

--- Quote from: ndwgolf on June 28, 2015, 11:05:25 pm ---Guys
What if any variable ND filters are you using......Singh Ray, B+W ??? For both landscape and outside portraiture.

--- End quote ---

I have used a Schneider Vari True Match and I liked it well enough.  My problem with the variable ones is still the limited range considering you must stay a couple stops down from full strength.  The flexibility of infinite variability is nice, but no longer as big an issue now with better sensors.

I carry a 2 stop, 4 stop and 10 stop ND all in 77mm round.  Now shooting the D810, I would almost go to 3, 5 and 10 because the dynamic range and clean shadows.  I just find the individual ones give me the flexibility I need. 

leuallen:

--- Quote ---I have a Marumi Variable ND filter and I am very happy with it.  Good quality at a good price.
--- End quote ---

You are lucky. I have one and it is unusable due to the terrible loss of sharpness.

Larry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version