Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would it be wise to buy Leica S 006 now if...  (Read 4073 times)

holyhikaru

Would it be wise to buy Leica S 006 now if...
« on: June 28, 2015, 09:52:01 pm »

Hello, this is my first thread :)

I am m240 shooter. I've always been interested in buying Leica S 007 since the announcement last year. However, as you all know, the camera production was kept postpone endlessly.

I saw some used Leica S 006 on sale with a very tempting price. I want a camera for studio shoot or set-up on location shoot. I never do auto focus and I don't plan to shoot video and I also plan to buy Sony A7rII for traveling (probably will replace my m240).

Will S007 be worth the price different? Will there be much different in image quality at low ISO? (lower than 800 lets say.) I do really like live view and focus peaking function on m240 and it won't be available in S006, sadly.

Please share your thought :) Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 09:59:39 pm by holyhikaru »

gagemanning

Re: Would it be wise to buy Leica S 006 now if...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 10:02:43 pm »

Hello, the S006 is a fantastic camera and I'm sure you would be happy. I've owned it for almost 2 years. The ISO at 800 and 1600 is actually pretty good. Yes they both have noticeable noise but it's very pleasing to the eye.

If I was abetting man the base ISO for the S006 & S007 will be very different. I actually have some concerns that the S006 may be better due to the CCD sensor.

I'm pretty sure the S007 will have live view, just no focus peaking.

Last, I haven't gotten around to it but have intentions on selling my S006 and lenses. I've decided to move on to the Phase One XF. I shoot mostly with my Leica M240 & MM246 and use the medium format for Landscape. I really wanted the extra megapixels for large prints. If you end up having internet in buying a used S006 and lenses I would probably give you a great deal.

Gage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

erlingmm

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 05:06:36 pm »

The S006 is a fantastic camera. If you get a good offer now, the price difference up to a S007 will be substantial.
You will not get live view, ECF and higher ISO, whether you ned it or not depends on your use.
Personally I prefer the bright finder of the S, especially with the special microprism focusing screen, much more accurate than any EVF.

albertknappmd

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 11:28:47 am »

I have the S typ 006 and for your purposes, it will be fantastic. You will be getting a very nice deal!
Albert

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 11:50:24 am »

Hi,

Some reflections. Just to say, I am not the red dot kind of person…

If you plan to replace the M240 with a Sony A7rII, that camera may not play well with some of your M-lenses. The Sony A7rII has a relatively thick cover "glass" while the M-240 has a much thinner cover. The thick cover glass will cause astigmatism with many of the M-lenses. The Sony has never been made for symmetrical Leica lenses. That said, there is some company that does replace cover glass on the A7r with a thinner package and that may solve some problems. So, why not keep the M (240) and be happy?

On the other hand, The A7rII may be a good match for the Leica S (type 007) regarding image quality. There are a lot of very good lenses for the A7rII. I have ordered then new Zeiss Batis 1.8/85 and the Canon 24/3.5 TSE with my A7rII, but it is possible to adopt almost any lens like the two Otuses or the Zeiss 135/2.0 APO.

Regarding focusing, I am mostly using manual focusing with magnified live view. I would say it is necessary for pin point accurate focus. Modern sensors have both on sensor phase detection and contrast sensing. The A7rII is said to combine both methods for accurate focus. As the sensor itself is used for focusing, there will not be any alignment errors. With a standard focusing system several components need to be very well aligned (lens, sensor, focusing screen, mirror, secondary mirror and AF-sensor). With live based focusing the lens needs to parallel with the sensor and be able to focus at infinity, that is about it.

The Hasselblad I have I use with a 3X prism and a 3X monocular from Zeiss giving a total 9X magnification, that is what I would regard as minimum for accurate focusing.

Naturally, there are other factors. For instance I like shooting with my Hasselblad 555/ELD and my P45+. Using a Leica S may be a great shooting experience.

Also, let's not forget that very few have used either the Leica S (type 106) or the Sony A7rII, but there is a lot of talk about the A7rII. We will find out how good (or bad) that camera is when it arrives.

The reason I have it order is that the camera and lenses I buy fill some gaps in my gear. Also, I am doing some interesting travel in August and September and it would be nice to carry the A7rII kit instead of the Hasselblad.

Best regards
Erik

Hello, this is my first thread :)

I am m240 shooter. I've always been interested in buying Leica S 007 since the announcement last year. However, as you all know, the camera production was kept postpone endlessly.

I saw some used Leica S 006 on sale with a very tempting price. I want a camera for studio shoot or set-up on location shoot. I never do auto focus and I don't plan to shoot video and I also plan to buy Sony A7rII for traveling (probably will replace my m240).

Will S007 be worth the price different? Will there be much different in image quality at low ISO? (lower than 800 lets say.) I do really like live view and focus peaking function on m240 and it won't be available in S006, sadly.

Please share your thought :) Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 11:54:39 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 03:19:47 pm »

God I am going through the very same scenario.....and it driving me crazy :( :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up