Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long Canyon  (Read 1749 times)

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
Long Canyon
« on: June 28, 2015, 08:18:04 pm »

Our first trip to the Grand Staircase-Escalante was inspirational. We stayed in Boulder (Utah) in a small campsite with some great friends. The drive down was peaceful and Lugart and our daughter Sophia, visiting from Amsterdam, were excited about exploring new country. Located only an hour's drive from Capital Reef, this area has the scenic highway 12, one of the most beautiful drives in the southwest. We were very surprised to encounter trees, forest actually. But scenic 12 did not disappoint and what a view it was. Finally as we spiraled higher and higher flashes of the huge rocky canyons came into view and everyone in the car was just blown away. Forest in the foreground and yellow-red canyons in the distance...unbelievable. Shortly after arriving at our campsite, our friend Ginger took us down the famous Burr Trail to what looked like a small cave. How wrong I was! Driving through the canyons was a blast and when we parked I could see an opening through the trees, but only when I got to the entrance behind the group of people with us did I appreciate the truth. Called Long Canyon, this marvel was huge.
I was very tempted to include another picture of Lutgart standing inside because she would appear to be a small rock. This capture shows the amazing architecture and power of nature. Millions of years of erosion on display for the visual feast. A great start and we'll definitely be returning to this enchanting area.

Mark

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Long Canyon
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 04:08:32 am »

I like the textures and B&W treatment, good image. I would be tempted to tame the highlights a bit, especially in the floor of the canyon.

francois

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 04:34:11 am »

Thanks for the story and the beautiful photo. I like the "end of the easy way" feeling of the image.
Francois

mseawell

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 07:24:09 am »

Cheers and yes didn't tone it down enough on the floor.

Mark

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 10:14:10 am »

Lovely subject, harsh contrast?

mseawell

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 02:57:44 pm »

Slo, I'm happy with the contrast. Light was harsh and to be honest I didn't have much time for "proper" photography since I was with a group of friends. That being said my intention was to go back alone but of course that was vetoed. Maybe in September I will get the chance to take my time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up