Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ALPA iphone holder opinions?  (Read 1255 times)

Smoothjazz

ALPA iphone holder opinions?
« on: June 28, 2015, 12:34:06 pm »

I am soon going to be trying out an Alpa STC camera, and am debating whether to use a viewfinder versus my iPhone as a composition aid. I have downloaded the Artist's Mark II Viewfinder on my iPhone, which really is a great tool. I wanted to ask what other Alpa users how they are mounting their phones, or is it easy enough to use handheld? Alpa has a great looking iPhone camera mount accessory, but it costs about $800 dollars. Is it worth it, or are there other alternatives to mount an iPhone?

sgilbert

Re: ALPA iphone holder opinions?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 01:24:13 pm »

Only $800 for an ALPA accessory?   :)

I use an ALPA iPhone holder on my STC, and really like it.  Easy to attach and remove, easy to switch orientation from portrait to landscape.

The app is really great, and can be used like a director's viewfinder, but I really like being able to mount the iPhone on the camera body.  For framing, it's as good as having live view, with the added benefit of allowing you to see the effect of a different lens.

voidshatter

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 04:12:32 pm »

Ever since I switched to a CMOS back, my Alpa OVF had become a decoration.

For extensive trips I guess the iPhone holder would be a better choice for several reasons:

a) It is lighter than an OVF - since your iPhone is a must-have, the iPhone holder saves weight;

b) It has the advantage of previewing a different lens;

c) It is still eye-catching when you use it in the crowd - makes you feel proud.

Graham Welland

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 04:25:11 pm »

I used to use the Alpa Viewfinder mount but gradually over time ended up using it less and less until today I don't use it at all. I do use the Alpa app though particularly as a composition tool off of the camera. I can move around and frame compositions before getting the camera out of the bag or setting up the tripod.

Like voidshatter, I frame generally using the iPhone handheld and then set up the camera and fine tune using live view or shoot/adjust. There is some element of parallax error with the iPhone which you'll learn to adjust to if you use the holder but it's better than just eyeballing things. If I want to do an approximate framing using the App and my STC then I'll just hold the iPhone horizontally or vertically on the top of the body by hand. Once that's done you can put the phone away and just shoot.

Something to consider also is that in bright reflective conditions (and surprisingly dawn light sometimes) the only thing you'll see with the iPhone sitting on the camera body is the reflection of your own eyeball.  :-\

It does look cool though - this is with the older version but is an example of the reflection issues.

Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up