Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Space required for iPF6400  (Read 6296 times)

Scott Hein

• Hein Natural History Photography
Space required for iPF6400
« on: June 27, 2015, 07:10:41 pm »

I am considering replacing a failing Epson 3800 printer with a Canon iPF6400.  The iPF6400 is obviously a substantially larger printer, so I am trying to determine if I have enough space in my den/office to accommodate it.  The printer docs recommend an "installation area" of 60.1×72.9×51.2 in (W x D x H) for the printer & stand.  I can fit the width along one wall, but I am curious how much depth is actually needed for normal use (73" seems like a lot).  I would initially be printing sheets - 17x25 and 13x19 Harman gloss baryta primarily - but would transition mostly to roll media once I consume my supply of cut sheets.

Thanks,
-Scott

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Re: Space required for iPF6400
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 07:45:35 pm »

If you keep the back of the printer against the wall it will take about 35" (depth) with the basket on its usual position (see photo on this link: http://www.thewideformatgroup.co.uk/images/Shop/Products/ipf6400S-3.jpg ), but you will need a couple of inches more for handling.   

Scott Hein

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 08:09:37 pm »

Perfect - that should work for the space.

Thank you!
-Scott

alain

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 06:18:48 am »

I'm also considering moving from a 3800 to a ipf6400, although the 3800 exceeded my expectations.

What's the added benefit for the stand except for high volume printing?

For me it means a loss of storage space, for example papers and prints to dry.

gchappel

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 07:00:30 am »

I went from the 3880 to the ipf8400 6 months ago. 
If you have any way to make the room, at least for me bigger was better. 
The price difference between the 6400 and 8400 is small- when you include the 6400 comes with 90cc starter inks, and the 8400 comes with full 330cc inks.
I actually can not tell the difference between the 3880 and 8400 prints once they are matted and hung. 
Gary

Scott Hein

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 12:22:28 pm »

I went from the 3880 to the ipf8400 6 months ago. 
If you have any way to make the room, at least for me bigger was better. 
The price difference between the 6400 and 8400 is small- when you include the 6400 comes with 90cc starter inks, and the 8400 comes with full 330cc inks.
I actually can not tell the difference between the 3880 and 8400 prints once they are matted and hung. 
Gary

I considered the 8400 for those reasons, but unfortunately I simply don't have the room for the larger printer (I am pushing it to fit the 6400 in my allotted space...)  Glad to hear your comment about the print quality.  I have always used Epson photo printers, so I have some apprehension switching to Canon.  However, I don't print on a regular basis and the reported clogging issues with underutilized Epson wide-format printers scared me away. The 3800 was perfect for my use - it rarely clogged even when I didn't print for a few weeks.  If I didn't want the option to print larger, I would probably just replace the 3800 with the new P800 (and hope it has clog resistance similar to the 3800/3880).

Thanks,
-Scott

TonyW

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 02:40:11 pm »

This two part review from Keith Cooper Northlight images may be of some help

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/printer/canon_ipf6450-pt1.html

Scott Hein

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 01:36:35 pm »

I'm also considering moving from a 3800 to a ipf6400, although the 3800 exceeded my expectations.

What's the added benefit for the stand except for high volume printing?

For me it means a loss of storage space, for example papers and prints to dry.

I took delivery of the iPF6400 this past week and got it installed and running on Friday and Saturday.  I ended up mounting it on the stand, although I had room for it on the desk that previous held my 3800.  The stand is actually nice for reasons of convenience and flexibility.  The printer is large, and by having on the stand I can roll it out of the way when I am not printing (it actually rolls pretty easily).  This also freed up the space on the desk to use for print drying/cutting, etc.  The thing I haven't found useful is the print collection basket.  I print primarily heavy baryta paper (320 gsm Harman Gloss Baryta), which is stiff and overshoots the basket.  If you didn't need the basket, you could easily remove it and store paper, etc. under the stand.

-Scott

alain

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 04:53:21 am »

I took delivery of the iPF6400 this past week and got it installed and running on Friday and Saturday.  I ended up mounting it on the stand, although I had room for it on the desk that previous held my 3800.  The stand is actually nice for reasons of convenience and flexibility.  The printer is large, and by having on the stand I can roll it out of the way when I am not printing (it actually rolls pretty easily).  This also freed up the space on the desk to use for print drying/cutting, etc.  The thing I haven't found useful is the print collection basket.  I print primarily heavy baryta paper (320 gsm Harman Gloss Baryta), which is stiff and overshoots the basket.  If you didn't need the basket, you could easily remove it and store paper, etc. under the stand.

-Scott
Thanks for the info.

What's you're impression with the print quality on the Harman with the iPF6400 versus with the 3800?

Scott Hein

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 12:43:22 pm »

What's you're impression with the print quality on the Harman with the iPF6400 versus with the 3800?

I haven't yet made a custom profile for the Harman Gloss Baryta, so I am still using the Harman stock profile.  However, even without the custom profile, I am quite pleased with the print quality on that paper compared with the 3800.  I had chosen that paper for the 3800 in part because of the low gloss differential - the prints from the 6400 behave similarly.  The print quality should only get better when I have time to generate the custom profile.

The main issue I have with that paper is its tendency to curl, which causes problems with head strikes.  I had this problem with the 3800 as well, but I guess I was less sensitive to it.  I am currently evaluating alternative papers (including matte papers since I don't have to worry about the MK/PK swap any more).  I haven't yet found a an alternative I like as well, but I am still early in the process.

-Scott

archphoto

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 05:17:33 pm »

Care to share that 8400 deal info if it is still is still in effect..

Neil

alain

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 05:36:18 pm »

I haven't yet made a custom profile for the Harman Gloss Baryta, so I am still using the Harman stock profile.  However, even without the custom profile, I am quite pleased with the print quality on that paper compared with the 3800.  I had chosen that paper for the 3800 in part because of the low gloss differential - the prints from the 6400 behave similarly.  The print quality should only get better when I have time to generate the custom profile.

The main issue I have with that paper is its tendency to curl, which causes problems with head strikes.  I had this problem with the 3800 as well, but I guess I was less sensitive to it.  I am currently evaluating alternative papers (including matte papers since I don't have to worry about the MK/PK swap any more).  I haven't yet found a an alternative I like as well, but I am still early in the process.

-Scott

Thanks.

The head strikes do worry me, I thought the vacuum of the iPF6400 would solve this.   Have you checked the "vacuum strength"?  (I suppose you are using harman roll paper?) 

Scott Hein

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 09:54:54 pm »

[quote author=alain link=topic=101569.msg838996#msg838996 date=1437514578
The head strikes do worry me, I thought the vacuum of the iPF6400 would solve this.   Have you checked the "vacuum strength"?  (I suppose you are using harman roll paper?) 
[/quote]

I was using 13x19" and 17x25" cut sheets I had purchased for the 3800.  I did have the vacuum strength set to highest setting, but still had some head strikes.  Unfortunately, I don't have any rolls of that paper to test.

-Scott

alain

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 04:35:09 pm »

[quote author=alain link=topic=101569.msg838996#msg838996 date=1437514578

I was using 13x19" and 17x25" cut sheets I had purchased for the 3800.  I did have the vacuum strength set to highest setting, but still had some head strikes.  Unfortunately, I don't have any rolls of that paper to test.

-Scott

Hi Scott

The curl of the roll paper will probably not give a problem, it's in the "good" direction.  I've seen some nasty curls with harman sheets though, a short curl at the sides on the complete long edge.  On the epson 3800 they needed a forced curl to the other side first.

Alain
Pages: [1]   Go Up