Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica S007 pushed back to the end of October  (Read 9652 times)

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Re: Leica S007 pushed back to the end of October
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 08:44:27 am »

Steve,

I'm yanking your cable release.

I agree, the thing is we're all use to it.   

If I had a greek euro for everytime somebody announced something and then changed it, delayed it, recalled it, re firmwared it, or just dropped the whole idea, I could buy Denmark.

Once again we all open the box, the software, plug something in and our butt tightens, hoping it does what we need, but then again if it doesn't we call someone and they say, "oh it's not suppose to do that but we'll look into it".

I think it's cool Phase One is shipping their camera, uncool that it took so long, but if it works, then great . . . more than great.

And though this will send this forum into spasms, it doesn't matter to me.

This is one of the cameras that puts beans on my table today.

Leica elegant huh?

IMO

BC

Yeah, I know. And I take great pains, well, let's say I make it a point, to not become a walking billboard for the products I sell and support. I want my record to show that I provided accurate, factual information about the products that photographers might potentially spend not an insignificant amount of currency on , sometimes mixed with a dash (if we're talking in-the-kitchen metaphors), of industry perspective from all sides of the aisle.

And you do the same! The difference is that you make and post those nice pretty pictures.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 11:15:27 am »

Hi,

I would say that it is nice to hear that at least some MFD dealers have some good sense for humour.

Now, seriously, I have noticed that there is a lot of good information coming from CI in general and the Steve was always careful about giving adequate information.

Regards Leica announcing the type 007 prematurely, I can see why they did it, as CMOS announcements were almost raining from heaven last year. I would also assume they were eager to present at Photokina, which is a biannual event in Germany.

BC's latest comments really indicate that times are changing. New gear is becoming available that can do the job. A good example is the Canon 5D#, not so long ago, professional gear was the Canon 1D# (and 1D#s), but "pros" are happily shooting away with Canon 5DIII and soon enough with 5DS. Meanwhile the needs of pros also shifted, it seems motion plays a greater role now than say five years ago. Gear that can do both still and motion well enough may obviously be attractive, as it is much easier to maintain and transport a single setup than a dual setup.

Also, economy is both weak and shaky, which I would guess means more work for less money and the need to have a cost effective workflow for those who earn their living making pictures. Some of BC's (and CB's) comments may reflect on that.

Best regards
Erik

Yeah, I know. And I take great pains, well, let's say I make it a point, to not become a walking billboard for the products I sell and support. I want my record to show that I provided accurate, factual information about the products that photographers might potentially spend not an insignificant amount of currency on , sometimes mixed with a dash (if we're talking in-the-kitchen metaphors), of industry perspective from all sides of the aisle.

And you do the same! The difference is that you make and post those nice pretty pictures.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 11:19:59 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 01:59:20 pm »

Hi BC,

Thanks for putting thinks straight.

I got the impression from your previous writings that you sort of have retired the RED, was very happy with Panasonic GH3 for both stills and motion.

I would add that the Leica S makes a lot of sense to me, specially as it can be used with a lot of different lenses. On the other hand I want live view and the camera is clearly outside my economic reach. But, I would not buy any more camera that doesn't have live view. A correctly implemented live view with freely selectable magnified area for focusing is the most important feature I see, for my needs.

Best regards
Erik

Not exactly as I bought my three REDs when the economy had tanked, though our business (luckily was doing ok).

I bought the REDs because I bought a 5d2 or 3 (don't remember) spent an extra 5 grand on it, looked through it with all that stuff hanging off and thought, that's not a movie camera, called RED and the rest is recent history.

The 5d2 BTW: does nice lifestyle video but it has bad rolling shutter, aliases, makes viewing a drag and is limited on sound recording, blah blah blah.

So it's not just the economy, because even if you shoot stills with a 5d whatever your not going to use the same camera, maybe not the same lens group anyway.    

There is no one anything way in this business, even per client, we all have our way, find our own niche and most professionals invest and work damn hard (in all business, not just the making little pictures business).

But the REDs made sense at the time and still do for me because they are not outdated, they shoot pretty 4k and once again for me have been profitable and zero problems, except their lcd viewfinder, which they fixed for $300 which has to be a low cost record for RED.

Also at the time you gotta remember film movie cameras (not video) cost $200,000 so Mr. Jannard threw a wrench in the movie camera making biz. (at least then).

and BTW 2:  Canon is getting away from the one camera does everything.  For the 5d crowd they sell you a $6,000 2k C100, a $13,000 4k C300 or probable soon a $22,000 5 or 6k C500, but no more $3,000 movie cameras, though they'll sell video cameras at that price.

IMO

BC
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up