Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Leica S Typ 007 medium format digital camera will start shipping in July  (Read 2848 times)

voidshatter

I'm glad that now we have a choice of a new camera with 10%-25% less pixels, 56% larger sensor, ~2 stops slower lenses when compared against a Sony A7R-II / Canon 5DSR. The pricing is very reasonable so I can show off my wealth in front of my Alphase friends. It's good to have competition and new choices! The only downside is that the sensor is no longer a CCD. It will surely lack the Leica-pattern film-grain. I hope they keep the green color cast in shadow as the M240 - if the shadow is as neutral as the Q then it would lose the Leica-look.

Brent Daniels

I finally had a chance to hold the present Leica S when in New York. I was very impressed with the feel of the camera. It just felt nice compared to my H-blad which I have had for some time, and my new Sony a7ll . It felt like a substantial work tool. Where as the Sony a7ll feels totally unsubstantial. That is why it is only my carry around in the street toy camera. Especially when the electronic viewfinder shows so much distracting moire as the Sony a7 does. Why does no one mention that distracting shit? Seriously?

To some people with a commercial workflow the most pixels is not everything. If I was processing out 16 bit PSD files from the 50mp back rather than my 39mp back I would be delivering 300GB of files to clients for post rather than 150GB. The computer hard drive storage requirements can be a huge hinderance. This has to be seriously considered. Have you not seen pics of Cooter's hard drive storage room? Especially when for advertising purposes we are generally not delivering files larger than 11x 14" at 300dpi. 

If I was shooting people I would seriously buy one of the Leica S series cameras over Phase or Blad because the body and one's glass of choice are so nice. Could probably also get a CCD version and a CMOS version for the cost of just 1 of the top end Phase or Blad options.

So the Leica S cameras may not suit everyone such as you Voidshatter, but to others it is a great tool that has a great feel with it's own amazing glass, or can run Hasselblad & Contax glass.

JoeKitchen

I'm glad that now we have a choice of a new camera with 10%-25% less pixels, 56% larger sensor, ~2 stops slower lenses when compared against a Sony A7R-II / Canon 5DSR. The pricing is very reasonable so I can show off my wealth in front of my Alphase friends. It's good to have competition and new choices! The only downside is that the sensor is no longer a CCD. It will surely lack the Leica-pattern film-grain. I hope they keep the green color cast in shadow as the M240 - if the shadow is as neutral as the Q then it would lose the Leica-look.

Seriously, provide useful information in a pleasant fashion or stop posting on this forum; you are becoming nothing but a troll.  
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

tjv

"Becoming" is not the word I would use here. Wrong tense.

Seriously, provide useful information in a pleasant fashion or stop posting on this forum; you are becoming nothing but a troll.  

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

There are two reasons to have small pixels. The first is that it may be better when printing large, the other one that smaller pixels are needed to make the lenses justice. If the lens outresolves the sensor the sensor will produce fake detail. It may or may not be obvious but it is law of nature.

Stopping down to f/16 causes enough diffraction to eliminate aliasing artefacts.

Hard disk storage is cheap, something like 50$ per terabyte.

Best regards
Erik

I finally had a chance to hold the present Leica S when in New York. I was very impressed with the feel of the camera. It just felt nice compared to my H-blad which I have had for some time, and my new Sony a7ll . It felt like a substantial work tool. Where as the Sony a7ll feels totally unsubstantial. That is why it is only my carry around in the street toy camera. Especially when the electronic viewfinder shows so much distracting moire as the Sony a7 does. Why does no one mention that distracting shit? Seriously?

To some people with a commercial workflow the most pixels is not everything. If I was processing out 16 bit PSD files from the 50mp back rather than my 39mp back I would be delivering 300GB of files to clients for post rather than 150GB. The computer hard drive storage requirements can be a huge hinderance. This has to be seriously considered. Have you not seen pics of Cooter's hard drive storage room? Especially when for advertising purposes we are generally not delivering files larger than 11x 14" at 300dpi. 

If I was shooting people I would seriously buy one of the Leica S series cameras over Phase or Blad because the body and one's glass of choice are so nice. Could probably also get a CCD version and a CMOS version for the cost of just 1 of the top end Phase or Blad options.

So the Leica S cameras may not suit everyone such as you Voidshatter, but to others it is a great tool that has a great feel with it's own amazing glass, or can run Hasselblad & Contax glass.
Erik Kaffehr

JV

If I was shooting people I would seriously buy one of the Leica S series cameras over Phase or Blad because the body and one's glass of choice are so nice.

+1.  That is exactly the way I feel. 

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/

The cost of hard drive storage per megabyte has dropped and dropped, but it can still add up. However, video takes up way more room than stills captures do, and when you peek into the room of someone like BC who produces a high volume of video work as well as stills, that needs to be taken into account.

Your pricing is off when you're comparing Leica S to Phase/Blad pricing. It's pretty 1-1 equivalent.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss
Pages: [1]   Go Up