Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Danger Lurks in Export in Ps CC2015  (Read 5976 times)

Ann JS

Danger Lurks in Export in Ps CC2015
« on: June 26, 2015, 04:58:49 pm »

WARNING to Photographers:

Be aware that "Export As":

• Is NOT Colour Managed;
• Strips all EXIF (including Copyright Notices) from your image files;
• Compresses to half the size (and also half the quality!) which you would normally expect from a particular JPG "Quality" value.

Photographers who are concerned about the quality of images which they post on the Internet, would be very wise to avoid "Export As" like the plague and stick with "Save for Web".

Learn the KBSCs so that you always go directly to Save for Web and never have to go through the Export sub-menus again:

Mac: Cmd Opt Shift S
Windows: Ctrl Alt Shift S

or set your own Custom KBSC.
-------
My own opinion is that the new Export tools are simply not yet ready for use.

Tom Montgomery

Re: Danger Lurks in Export in Ps CC2015
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 08:13:45 pm »

Good advice! 

It's a little puzzling that Adobe hid Save For Web away (and labelled it "legacy") before the "Export As" function is fully functional.  One assumes that they intend to bring all the functionality of SFW over eventually, but as it is now it is downright dangerous.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 12:50:28 pm »

Have you checked out under Bridge's Tools menu>Photoshop>Image Processor...? Don't know if it got dropped or moved to another menu in CC versions of PS but it does everything automatically just as good as SFW but without dealing with a complex dialog box preset, just set it and forget it but without a preview to check compression artifacts as in SFW.

I use it in CS5. Also in ACR there are sharpening settings for output to the web (Glossy Paper or Screen Display) selected by clicking on the resolution indicator at the bottom of ACR's bounding box frame. These settings don't show up until you open in Photoshop so check the results by opening again in PS. I'm going by CS5 version so things may have changed with CC.

Ann JS

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 01:38:44 pm »

Image Processor disappeared from Bridge a long time ago!!

"Save settings and forget it" Mode is of no use to me at all because my requirements change with the job in hand.
(Quick Export regresses to that sort of hobbled work-flow)

SFW has the advantage that we can change our out-put settings on-the-fly — including type of image, compression, output dimensions, EXIF content and sRGB conversion with an embedded Profile. And we can also compare the appearance of different settings visually.

Another advantage which SFW offers is that it re-opens with the settings that you last used; remebers the location to which you last saved; and lets you save your own Presets too.

"Export As" provides none of these essential tools.

D Fosse

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 09:17:55 am »

Precisely. As it is now, "Export As" is completely useless. My own reaction when I discovered this can be summed up as "WTF".

Incidentally, I wrote a similar post in the Adobe Photoshop forum a couple of days ago.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 09:37:47 am »

ISFW has the advantage that we can change our out-put settings on-the-fly — including type of image, compression, output dimensions, EXIF content and sRGB conversion with an embedded Profile. And we can also compare the appearance of different settings visually.

Another advantage which SFW offers is that it re-opens with the settings that you last used; remebers the location to which you last saved; and lets you save your own Presets too.

"Export As" provides none of these essential tools.

Hi,

Are you saying that the Export > Safe for Web (Legacy) doesn't remember the last used settings?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

leuallen

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 01:00:59 pm »

Image Processor can be installed in Bridge.

Image Processor Pro has been updated (v3.2.2) for CC 2015 and can be downloaded from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ps-scripts/files/Image%20Processor%20Pro/v3_2%20betas/

Download zip file and follow installation instructions PDF. This will install in Bridge  and PS.

Larry

MarkM

• Alaska Photographer Mark Meyer
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 03:11:13 pm »

The "export as" is one of the most half-baked things I've seen Adobe release. I'm not sure why they were in such a hurry to get it out the door without these really essential features. I'm also not sure why they felt the need to tag save for web as "Legacy" when it is the only usable option. They have a blog a post here: https://medium.com/photoshop/introducing-export-options-for-photoshop-7e8b58207150 where they say these features are upcoming. However, it's a little disturbing to read this regarding embedding metadata like copyright info:

"Embed Copyright & Contact Info: Until we shared our builds with the pre-release users we didn’t realise how useful photographers might find this tool."

Really?

Ann JS

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 03:47:46 pm »

The Export Module team seem to have been working in a hermetically sealed vacuum?!

In their release notes, they thank a handful of Graphics Designers for their input but it appears that they totally failed to seek input from any Photographers — who probably account for more than 80% of the Photoshop Subscribers?!

I am coming across a lot of very distressed Ps Users who have not read the release notes and have been completely unable to find SFW in Ps CC 2015.

Many other people seem to be under the false impression that they should be moving immediately to the "New and Improved" Export As and ceasing to use SFW (which they have been encouraged to believe is now outdated "Legacy" software).

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 04:29:12 pm »

Well this thread's revealing some interesting info. Didn't realize "Image Processor..." was dropped in CC-PS versions. That's the best batch processor I've seen for turning 16bit, ProPhotoRGB Raws into downsized for web sRGB jpegs without any fuss and EXIF data intact.

I swear the best thing I've seen at least in CS5 Bridge/ACR/PS is the output sharpening setting options within ACR. It handles all the "sharpen for downsizing" I need as long as capture sharpening is set and I always get consistent results.

And you all say that's all been taken away except the sharpening features in PS CC? Yeah...WTF!?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:31:11 pm by Tim Lookingbill »

Ann JS

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 04:51:46 pm »

I wrote in error!

Image Processor is indeed still in Bridge CC.

I had looked in Startup scripts and didn't see it there and failed to notice that Image Pro is still listed in the Tools/Ps/submenu.

I suppose that I simply don't use IP much because I normally work directly through Batch-mode in ACR when saving copies as JPGs for the web.

Russell Brown's most useful "Image Processor Pro" is the one which no longer seems to work with Bridge CC and Ps CC 2015.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 05:04:12 pm by Ann JS »

leuallen

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 07:17:07 pm »

Russell Brown's most useful "Image Processor Pro" is the one which no longer seems to work with Bridge CC and Ps CC 2015.

That is installed with the update I listed above.

Larry

Ann JS

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 12:29:46 am »

Larry:

Thank you so much for that Link.

I had previously searched only on Russell Brown’s own site and the version posted there will not run in Ps CC 2015.

When I went to your Link, the Read-Me very clearly stated:

>>> Installing the Image Processor Pro Script
Please note this script can only be used with Adobe Photoshop CS5/CS6/CC/CC2014
>>>

So ignoring that advice, I followed the rest of the instructions to the letter.

Did it work?
No! Which was hardly surprising as the Read-me explicitly said that it would not!

A bit more experimentation and I found that using direct navigation from Ps/File/Scripts/Browse to
 Users Library/App Support/Ps CC 2015/ Presets/Scripts
opened Image Processor Pro in Ps CC 2015 — but I still could not launch it from Bridge CC.

There was one more Script in the unpacked IPP folder for which no instructions had been given: “RunIPP.jsx”

On a hunch, I placed copies of RunIPP.jsx and also of Image Processor Pro.jsx directly into my
Applications/Ps CC 2015/Presets/Scripts.

Following a further re-launch of both Bridge Cc and Ps CC 2015, I seem to have got Image Processor Pro working perfectly from Bridge!

So the scripts will work with Ps CC 2015 and Bridge CC on a Mac running under OSX 10.10.3 but xbytor's Instructions do need to be updated! (I have sent him an eMail to that effect.)

I have no idea if this will work on Windows machines though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up