Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Rant Thread  (Read 5744 times)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
The Rant Thread
« on: June 26, 2015, 04:28:58 pm »

Like it says, post your rants here. And to kick us off ...

F&@$!ng X100s! Too many f&@$!ng fiddly f&@$!ng buttons. I need to be able to set ISO, aperture, shutter speed, and the focus point. That's it. Nothing more. Being able to review the images, is useful, so we can keep that bit too. But everything else, I'd love to be able to disable. I'm fed up with accidently hitting some button or other, and suddenly I've got the back screen all lit up with loads of info I don't need & don't want, and I can't make it go away. OK, yes I can, but only so it them appears in the bleedin' viewfinder. I don't want it there either. Just bloody go away. Stop doing things I really don't want/need you to damned well do.

Somebody, please give me a camera that's like an old film camera, but with a digital sensor. Please. Pretty please.

mezzoduomo

Tim Lookingbill

Re: The Rant Thread
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 04:50:43 pm »

$2000 for a freakin' P&S?!

Oh dear Lord, I feel a rant coming on!

mezzoduomo

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 05:09:26 pm »

$2000 for a freakin' P&S?!

Only twice the price of the camera that induces rant-worthy levels of frustration in the OP.  ;D
I do love mine: I'd call it "rave-worthy".

Then there's the new Leica 'Q'. $4,250 for a freakin' P&S.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 08:19:10 am »

My rant?

Photographers would probably do a lot better if they cared less about what other photographers choose to do/not do/use/don't use.

Bonus rant:  An opinion, by definition is "a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty*."  One can disagree with an opinion without being wrong; just like one can agree with an opinion without being right.

*http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinion
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 08:52:02 am »

Amen. My D-600 has 19 buttons/controls, my E-M1 has 18.

Peter Mellis

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 06:10:42 pm »

Just came across this rant. I am just getting used to a recently acquired X100T and am almost on the same page. After playing around a bit with it, I came to a similar set of conclusions. I like the camera and the results that I have gotten so far, but this thing is really too close to being the definition of a computer with a lens attached and I really don't care about most of the goodies. The size trade off is that you keep hitting buttons by accident. I wanted something small, with good IQ; it's that, but is really fiddly. And the lack of understandable documentation is pretty sad coming from a company that seems to be more customer focused than most.

shawnino

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 06:05:29 pm »

Like it says, post your rants here. And to kick us off ...

Somebody, please give me a camera that's like an old film camera, but with a digital sensor. Please. Pretty please.

Indeed.
I'm told Leica recently made a digital-M with no backscreen at all, but then had the, um, chutpah, to charge extra for it.
Sounds somewhat urban-legendy because Leica comes in for much grief on their pricing (a large measure of it deserved in my opinion), but somehow, I believe it.

But agreed: there's so much on my camera I don't use.
I could learn how to use it if I needed to, but for my work it's just superfluous.
Pages: [1]   Go Up