Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hougaard Malan  (Read 14763 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Hougaard Malan
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 05:43:41 am »

You said it, Isaac. Copying is such a strong word, I'm afraid most plagiarists won't like it.
Let's put this way - some like to take and create original and previously unseen scenes, others strive to create their own versions of already and often seen images.

Paradoxically, displays of the unseen and bold images can sometimes backfire, and invite wrath of the titans.

Isaac

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 11:07:16 am »

Let's put this way - some like to take and create original and previously unseen scenes, others strive to create their own versions of already and often seen images.

I can understand the desire to emulate and compete; and the practical matters: strong content, content that will be recognised.

For better and worse, a scene formed fresh in my mind has more appeal to me.

Paradoxically, displays of the unseen and bold images can sometimes backfire, and invite wrath of the titans.

We feel uncomfortable when our expectations are not confirmed.

amolitor

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 11:11:51 am »

I enjoy playing the piano. I'm not much good. Simply playing a simple piece as notated, with expression as notated, satisfies me enormously.

While I don't approach photography this way, I imagine that there is a similar pleasure to be had in replicating well some more or less cliched picture.

I don't try to sell CDs of my Bach, however, and don't think that I ought to be able to make money doing so.

Isaac

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 11:23:15 am »

While I don't approach photography this way, I imagine that there is a similar pleasure to be had in replicating well some more or less cliched picture.

If you did approach photography that way, the analogy would be interesting.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Re: A New Perspective On Landscape Photography
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 08:33:51 am »

iirc Galen Rowell wrote that the problem he saw most frequently during photography workshops was too much foreground; and it didn't seem to matter how often he explained what was wrong using other peoples photographs, people only started to change what they were doing when he made them see how the picture they were framing would look without all that foreground.

Ah yes, the Evil Cropping Mat Boards. Galen would set up the projector and sit next to it on a bar stool. As the participant's slides came up on the screen he would take a pair of 90 degree mat board pieces, hold them up in the projected light and crop away extraneous parts of the image, usually the foreground. Often a real gem would pop out.

Dave

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 11:12:45 am »

Hi,

Great article. Maybe a bit late (did not visit the forum for about 4 days until Tuesday 30) but I just saw it and had to read it twice because of being so interesting.

OK, I think that everybody has a different view about super wide, wide and portrait or closed angle view of what is in front of him especially in Landscapes.

Some like super wide, which is difficult to manage ¿? and other like portrait of closed angles which from my point of view is easier to handle ¿?

Will make a tour through my images and apply what Hougaard Malan wrote in his article and perhaps post some of my super wide angle images in the critique forum ... and if I have with long focal lenses ... ¿?
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up