Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Progrey vs. Lee  (Read 3009 times)

slickrock

Progrey vs. Lee
« on: June 26, 2015, 02:57:42 pm »

I haven't seen any recent posts on filter systems in a while.  I'm not happy with my Cokin holders and Singh-Ray setup. I find the Cokin holders flimsy and the Singh-Ray neutral density graduated filters scratch too easily. So I'm looking to replace them with either the Lee or Progrey.  I've read some very positive reviews about Progrey.  The holders are machined aluminum and the filters are made high quality scratch-resistant material. Of particular interest to me is finding a suitable filter system for my Nikon 14-24 mm super-wide angle lens. Only Lee and Progrey make a filter holder that fits the lens. They are very similar in construction but, I've read that the Progrey does a better job at reducing light leaks.  Has anyone had experience with the Progrey filter systems?  At this juncture, I'm leaning towards the Progrey, but would like to hear from others.  Thanks

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Progrey vs. Lee
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 03:09:40 pm »

I can't speak to Progrey, however Lee has reworked the lightshield for the SW150 system and it's much much better, no light leaks that I can see.  Or reflection issues which the older setup allowed.

They are now making the Big and Little Stopper in 150 x 150 sizes also now in glass as I understand it.  I wish they would make the 0.9 in 150 x 150 in glass as they do for the 4 x 4 sizes.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 10:27:59 am »

The only thing I don't like about the Lee, is that it pops off a little too easily. Some consider this a benefit as something snagging your filter holder
wont take the whole camera down. It's a minor annoyance but an annoyance nonetheless.
I'm gonna look into this other system you are talking about. Just out of curiosity.

slickrock

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 06:36:34 pm »

Thanks Paul2660 and Jimm D Uptain

I'm sure both products are excellent but I've seen nothing but good reviews for Progrey. Lee is more expensive and it looks like I will have to buy an adapter for my 14-24 in addition to the holder, so price wise it looks like Progrey is a better option as everything for my 14-24 is included. I can still buy separate adapters for my other lenses if I need it. Anyway I'm still pondering.
Pages: [1]   Go Up