Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M0, M1, M2 readings for profiling different media  (Read 4871 times)

Klami85

M0, M1, M2 readings for profiling different media
« on: June 25, 2015, 04:28:03 pm »

I have recently changed my old i1 PRO (uv version) to a new i1 PRO2 and have some thought questions.
I know the difference between all measurements modes from ISO 13655:2009 (M0, M1, M2, M3) but in real life I found some media combinations that I just dont know how to treat them to get best results.

Which measurments mode (M0, M1, M2) should I use: 
1) when profiling media with OBA that will be always overlaminate after printing?
for example: large format eco solvent prints for long term outdoor use.
overlaminating cuts off UV wavelenght from light spectrum right? So OBA are inactive? M2?
2) when profiling media with OBA that will be displayed under the glass?
for example: pigment photo prints or eco solvent prints displayed in citylights.
glass cuts off UV too. M2?
3) when generating profiles for illuminant other than D50, and media have OBA
M1 is designed to make sure that optical brighteners during measurement glow in a similar way like they do in a D50 viewing environment.
M0 will be better?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: M0, M1, M2 readings for profiling different media
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 04:39:31 pm »

I'd run a test with each mode, build a profile and examine the results, especially using a Perceptual table.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 05:52:38 am »

Which measurments mode (M0, M1, M2) should I use: 
1) when profiling media with OBA that will be always overlaminate after printing?
for example: large format eco solvent prints for long term outdoor use.
overlaminating cuts off UV wavelenght from light spectrum right? So OBA are inactive? M2?
2) when profiling media with OBA that will be displayed under the glass?
for example: pigment photo prints or eco solvent prints displayed in citylights.
glass cuts off UV too. M2?
3) when generating profiles for illuminant other than D50, and media have OBA
M1 is designed to make sure that optical brighteners during measurement glow in a similar way like they do in a D50 viewing environment.
M0 will be better?

1) Shouldn't you measure the print with the laminate already applied and with outdoor use in mind do a UV included measurement then? And go more for 6500K than D50.

2) Citylights overnight, hard to estimate what their spectral distribution is and one wonders if any UVlight is included these days, a waste of energy. Proper color management will be hard to get without the right information on the illumination. Yet I expect the prints to be exposed to daylight too. As you can not make a proper measurement through glass etc I would go for the laminated print data too in that case. You might compare the spectral filtering of both the lamination film and the glass by putting them on top of your preferred papers and judge the changes visually and by measurements.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Klami85

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 08:21:39 am »

I`ve done some test, made some profiles. Here are my conclusions.

1) Overlaminating dont cuts all UV content from light spectrum.
I`ve tested 8 papers, 5 PVC vinyl films and 4 different laminates (3 hard and 1 liquid).
On all tested medias OBA/FWA are still active after overlaminating. (I have spectrum plots if anyone interrested).
So it`s best to stick with UV included readings when profiling overlaminated medias with FWA/OBA.

2) Profiles made with M1 readings are no better than these made with M0 readings in terms of OBA/FWA compensation in real life.
Profiles made with M1 readings get me better results (visual) in controlled lighting condition (ISO 3664:2009 OSRAM color proof lighting).
In real life where UV content in light spectrum is varying it does not provide better results. (at least for me).
It is waste of time to do M1 readings (dual scan) with i1PRO2 in most cases.
Pages: [1]   Go Up