Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any zoom lens better than the 17-40L in flare control?  (Read 1588 times)

Abdulrahman Aljabri

• http://www.aljabri.com
Any zoom lens better than the 17-40L in flare control?
« on: June 25, 2015, 04:13:14 pm »

I was looking at some flare comparisons between the new 16-35 4 L and the 17-40 4 L and to mu surprise it seems the 17-40 controls flare a little better. Does anyone have experience with both lenses to confirm this?

I can personally confirm that among my lenses (including the old 24-70 2.8) the 17-40 does best, but I was expecting newer zoom lenses to do better in reducing flare (especially considering the price hike).

For me reducing flare is very important, much more than increased edge performance. Flare can really destroy an otherwise good interior picture because flare around windows will wash off colors and details of surrounding furniture beyond repair. 

MY SITE: AL

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Re: Any zoom lens better than the 17-40L in flare control?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 12:56:32 pm »

I was looking at some flare comparisons between the new 16-35 4 L and the 17-40 4 L and to mu surprise it seems the 17-40 controls flare a little better. Does anyone have experience with both lenses to confirm this?

I can personally confirm that among my lenses (including the old 24-70 2.8) the 17-40 does best, but I was expecting newer zoom lenses to do better in reducing flare (especially considering the price hike).

For me reducing flare is very important, much more than increased edge performance. Flare can really destroy an otherwise good interior picture because flare around windows will wash off colors and details of surrounding furniture beyond repair.  

I do interior photography. I am pretty sure that what you are seeing around the windows is mostly or completely due to sensor overload, which is an electronic phenomenon, not flare, which is an optical phenomenon. Sensor overload is a fact of life with digital photography, just as halation is a fact of life with film. In some cases, perhaps, there will also be some flare mixed in with the sensor overload (sometimes referred to as bloom), and that may depend upon the lens (perhaps a defect), a filter (if any), whether there is any dust or dirt on the optical surfaces, and how strong the exterior lighting is relative to the interior. I have the Canon 17-40 and I would say that it has pretty respectable flare suppression, so I really don't think that is the issue, or at least not the predominant issue. I also own the Canon 16-35 F:4, which I think is a much better lens in many respects, but a different lens is really not going to solve your problem. What will solve the problem is either controlling the exterior light by putting large neutral density filters over the windows, scrimming the windows in some way, using supplementary lighting to bring the level of the interior lighting closer to the exterior, or shooting when the exterior light level is closer to that of the interior (especially at twilight).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 01:27:46 pm by David Eichler »

Abdulrahman Aljabri

• http://www.aljabri.com
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 05:23:59 pm »

Awsom David, thanks for the complete feedback!

My 24-70L mrk1 contributes more flare/sensor bloom than the 17-40L. Do you know of any lens around the same focal range that can replace it and reduce the flare I am experiencing?

Also, I am curious to ask, how does the new 16-35 compare to the old 17-40? Did it offer you any improvements over the older lens?

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:48:46 pm by Abdulrahman Aljabri »
MY SITE: AL

robdickinson

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 07:39:25 pm »

16-35f4L is better than the 17-40L for flare.

The only things it isnt better at is distortion and 40mm
Pages: [1]   Go Up