Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 "INK CARTRIDGE ERROR" after head and selector unit replacment  (Read 10988 times)

davisstew

Hi everyone,
I have been having issues with my 7900 print head. Yesterday I replaced the head with a used one from a 9900 as well as replaced the selector unit and wiper (both new parts). I followed the video Eric made on myx900.com. Was pretty simple.. Put it all back together and started in service mode. Everything started just fine and appeared ready. I wanted to run an initial ink fill to put ink in the dampers and through the head as well as pump out any air bubbles that may have formed. But I had 3 low ink carts (<10%). So I went to replace them and that’s when things went south..
I loaded the new ink carts and closed the doors then got the message “INK CARTRIDGE ERROR    REPLACE CARTRIDGE” with red blinking x’s on all colors. I tried putting the old carts back in, restarting it and keep getting the same message. I then tried running the initial ink fill (ignoring the error message) and got an error code 3000. This appears to be because the capping station did not pull back and a the head went to move it caught it (causing an increase in voltage to the motor) and stopping it. I then manually released the head and tied the ink fill again and as well as other functions and keep getting random error codes like 150c, 1439, 1138, and 1489. I checked all the connections that I had messed with when replacing the head (though I have not removed the selector unit and checked the connections going directly into the head itself). I have also reset the counters and changed the Head ID.

Does anyone have any idea? Everything appeared to be working correctly until I tried replacing the ink carts. ??? ???

Thanks
Davis

Nora_nor

Air leaks somewhere?

crwoo

Hi, I am having the same problem, except for I didn't replace capping station. If you find a solution, please update the post.

cybis

• http://www.lucbusquin.com

I've had a similar issue after replacing the head (but without the unit hitting the capping station.)

My memory is a little fuzzy but try this, it's free, it's fun, and there is even a remote chance it might work :o:

Either:
  • printer on
  • ink bay doors open
  • eject cartridge 1
  • doors closed
  • observe cartridge status
  • doors open
  • reinsert cartridge 1
  • doors close
  • doors open
  • eject cartridge 2
  • etc

Or:

• printer on
  • ink bay doors open
  • eject cartridge 1
  • doors closed
  • doors open
  • reinsert cartridge 1
  • eject cartridge 2
  • etc

Can't remember which.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 05:52:51 pm by cybis »

davisstew

I haven't really messed around with it in a couple months (since I posted last). Was going to try and play around with it a little this weekend. Thanks cybis, I will give that a shot and report back. Was also going to check ink lines and make sure there were no air leaks.

If this doesnt work, im out of ideas. It anyone has any other suggestions ill take anything at this point. just want to get it working!

crwoo

Re: Epson 7900 "INK CARTRIDGE ERROR" after head and selector unit replacment
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 03:05:36 pm »

I have tried your suggestion, Cybis, and it does not solve my problem. do you have any other suggestions?
Thanks

na goodman

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 07:43:37 pm »

There is a sequence with the printer off. I'm not sure this is the right order but try removing the cartridges, turn the printer off and with it off replace the cartridges and then start it up.

GeraldB

• Gerald Bloch Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 09:26:01 pm »

I had the same experience after a head replacement. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound. I called Epson and they replaced the cartridge at no charge which was nice. Still the most expensive cartridge I've ever owned.

ddolde

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 10:58:16 pm »

Precisely why I bought an HP Z5200.  Epson is Evil.

crwoo

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 09:51:09 am »

I have tried taking the cartridges out, powering off the printer, putting the cartridges in and it didn't help.

If I take any cartridges out it will tell me which ones are missing. but if i put them all in, it will say all are missing. :(

tyfon

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 06:16:08 pm »

Well,  i have the same problem after cleaning the printer head the printer head was removed from printer.   all ink cartridge show X on it. recheck all ribbon cables, yellow & white connector are connected. tried to initiated the refill ink and stop could not do it. I pulled all cartridge from the bay clean contacts, my ink was at 50% at the moment. I will be resetting the chip on the cartridge to see what happens. From i was told some type of board is not reading the ink level from the CHIP. I also like to know if anybody has tried to reset all codes from display.  I have have codes from previous owner. Well i like to start fresh to monitor what is causing this ERROR. please advise.   

tyfon

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 11:30:37 pm »

I've had a similar issue after replacing the head (but without the unit hitting the capping station.)

My memory is a little fuzzy but try this, it's free, it's fun, and there is even a remote chance it might work :o:

Either:
  • printer on
  • ink bay doors open
  • eject cartridge 1
  • doors closed
  • doors open
  • reinsert cartridge 1
  • doors close
  • doors open
  • eject cartridge 2
  • etc

Or:

• printer on
  • ink bay doors open
  • eject cartridge 1
  • doors closed
  • doors open
  • reinsert cartridge 1
  • eject cartridge 2
  • etc

Can't remember which.

I follow these step: 
when i remove #1 all ink levels come back on the screen
so I pulled #2 had the same results. then I tried #11 and had the same results.
So base on that info provided does anybody know what could be wrong.
Please advise.  thanks...

cybis

• http://www.lucbusquin.com
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 01:02:23 am »

This is the exact same situation I had. Did you *carefully* tried both sets of instructions for all eleven inks sequentially from 1 to 11? I remember that when I finally reinserted the 11th ink all cartridges were back to normal.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 12:38:19 am by cybis »

tyfon

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 02:14:20 am »

Thank you Cybis for the response.  I did tried both ways and  all ink cartridge had on X on it.  I do keep searching the web for other answers  have not found any yet.  I also went to the local Camera Shop and ask them about the ink problem, they said they use to be a repair center, and Epson drop them because  they want to charge the customer up front $275.00 dollars for the first hour and they will pick a choose the repair center.  I'm in San Antonio Texas and there is no repairs center in Texas. the only one they had recommended by Epson was in Dallas.  son I call them and said NO they don't want to mes with that  BRAND.  I wonder WHY?  Does this mean Epson want to pay the repair center warranty labor rate.  (Sound like the car Dealers ) Mechanics make less money on warranty work.   If you have any suggestion please let me know.  thanks

BobDavid

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 08:20:04 am »

Have you tried replacing the three cartridges that are causing problems? If you know anyone in the area with an X900 printer, I'd ask to borrow carts and try them out. I had a similar problem occur a few years back with my 9900. I think the orange cartridge was faulty and the yellow & #11  somehow got thrown off. I recall orange and one of the light blacks (LK or LLK) are paired up for cleaning/declogging. Coincidentally, my "Ink Cartridge Error" problem started about a month after Decision One replaced the left side cartridge bay. At first, I could get the error message to go away by reseating the cartridges. Eventually that procedure failed to work.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:37:43 am by BobDavid »

tyfon

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 07:13:30 pm »

Thank you Bob, see images please  this is what i did. removed all cart, dated from 2015 - 2016 expiration.  Installed used cart dated 2011-2012 expiration.  as you can see top right #5 MATE BLACK has on X, but this is a brand new CART, from Epson , reinstalled #5 , then I removed #1 so now #5 Mate black was active( no X) then I removed #11 now  LM all were active and #11 had on X.  summary no matter witch cart i remove become with on X and all are active.  I hate to but new Cart. not knowing if im going to the right direction.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 07:15:54 pm by tyfon »

crwoo

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 11:59:48 am »

I still have the same problem. when all inks are in it will show all Xs and if i remove any of them, the rest will be OK but only the removed one will have a X.
If you have any information how I could fix this, please throw it on here. I have tried the instructions posted with removing one at a time, with no luck. If someone here has had luck with that, it would be nice hearing detailed info on that too.
Thanks

crwoo

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2015, 05:18:51 pm »

still need help with this

davisstew

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 03:53:23 pm »

Anyone ever figure this out? I had given up and my 7900 has been sitting in the corner taking up space. :(  Would like to try working on it one more time if anyone has any new suggestions...

BobDavid

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2016, 02:55:23 pm »

I strongly believe the left ink bay 0n the X900 series has a design flaw. ... I had a similar problem as mentioned above. I'd get X's clear across the board. Then if I'd remove the orange cart, the Xs disappeared and the ink levels displayed properly and the missing cart showed up X. I'd then put the orange cart back in and pull out the yellow. Same thing--the ink levels showed and the yellow cart showed up as X. I bit the bullet and contacted Decision One (it took 2 visits; they ended up replacing the left-side cartridge bay). Four months later, the orange nozzle developed a clog that wouldn't clear. After several "pair cleanings" both the orange and the LK (or maybe it was the LLK) clogged up. I watched Eric's video (sent him a donation) and decided I'd had it with the X900 series. I sold the machine on eBay and replaced it with a 7890--a fine printer.

Orange and green ink is hardly, if at all, used for photo printing. Those colors are there for graphic and industrial designers to match PMS colors. I tried to convince a buddy of mine to purchase a 7890 instead of the 7900. He wouldn't budge. Since they were around the same price, he figured he was getting a 'good deal' on the 7900. I warned him that that was a mistake. After nine months, his 7900 stopped working due to super clogs. Now the machine sits in his office just taking up space. Woe is he.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 03:00:00 pm by BobDavid »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up