Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One 35mm LS testing results from Capture Integration  (Read 5730 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

https://captureintegration.com/schneider-kreuznach-35mm-ls-vs-phase-one-d-35mm/

Some nice test shots here, looks like this lens will be a winner.  I am curious what the hyperfocal range at F 3.5 is but by F11, very impressive.  No doubt this will challenge the results from the 35XL, Schneider and 40mm and 32mm Rodenstocks.  Plus, no LCC needed!. 

Day late and wayyy too many dollars short for me, but for those looking for the best wide in 645, this might be the one.  It would be most interesting to see:

Comparisons to HB, wides, and the Pentax 35mm FA.  as these would be the normal competition I would guess.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ken R

Re: Phase One 35mm LS testing results from Capture Integration
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 03:07:07 pm »

https://captureintegration.com/schneider-kreuznach-35mm-ls-vs-phase-one-d-35mm/

Some nice test shots here, looks like this lens will be a winner.  I am curious what the hyperfocal range at F 3.5 is but by F11, very impressive.  No doubt this will challenge the results from the 35XL, Schneider and 40mm and 32mm Rodenstocks.  Plus, no LCC needed!. 

Day late and wayyy too many dollars short for me, but for those looking for the best wide in 645, this might be the one.  It would be most interesting to see:

Comparisons to HB, wides, and the Pentax 35mm FA.  as these would be the normal competition I would guess.

Paul Caldwell

Wow. The results are impressive. But the lens is a monster both in weight (+- 3 lbs) and size (105mm front filter!). I know its designed to cover full frame 645 but the tiny Pentax 35mm A lens is too (no shutter though and of course less quality but man how about a happy medium?) . Yes the Phase lens is expensive but the quality is there and it is an LS lens. I rather the lens not have an LS and be much smaller and cheaper but still have the optical quality. But it is great too see Phase take its wide angle lens range on since it has been the weak part of the lens range for a while now. 

Richard Osbourne

• Richard Osbourne Art Images
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 04:43:45 pm »

I had a play with it at a recent XF launch event in London. No doubt it has stellar image quality but wowsers, it's HUGE. Almost as big as the 40-80 zoom and felt about the same weight. Way too big for me to travel with so I've got a Rodie 40HR on the way. It's a shame nearly all good 645 or SLR lenses are getting so big and heavy - I'm looking at old Leica M-lenses for my A7R as a counterbalance.

yashima

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 03:18:23 pm »

Extremely impressive lens, I think quite abit better than the Schneider 28mm.

If only someone can shoot it out with the Rodenstock 32mm HR .. Anyone?

yashima

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 04:24:58 pm »

Just an observation, why the styling of these new lenses are different from previous SK LS lenses? Blue ring, different focusing rib. Is it a new line or all lenses will be updated this style?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 05:24:28 pm »

The Schneider 28 LS or Phase One 28 were just rebadged Mamiya 28mm albeit the Schneider LS added the lead shutter. But all versions shared the same optics.  The 28mm is not strong to the corners unless shot at F14 to F 16 at least the 3 I owned were not.

It seems the 35 LS is all new designed and I bet it will stand up to the 32 rodenstock. In fact it may be better if it shows less mustache distortion as the 32mm.

As I had said before its too bad that Phase brought this lens to market so late as many photographers have already moved to the tech camera route in the search for a good wide.

Actually I would be surprised if the new 35mm LS is any sharper than the tried and true Schneider 35XL on either a 60 or 80MP back on a center shot no movements.

Paul

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

yashima

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 05:57:45 pm »

Thanks for the info Paul. Out of all in the Schneider LS line, which ones are newly designed and which ones are rebadged Mamiya?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 06:46:15 pm »

Both the 35LS and 40-80mm are all new and both appear to excellent but both carry a high the price point and weight/ bulk of the lenses is a lot.

I believe the 55LS and 110LS are all new designs.   As is the stellar 240LS.  I have the much cheaper and lighter 210 AF which is a great lens extremely sharp.

The 28mm, 75-150, 35mm D, and 45mm D are all reworked from the earlier Mamiya versions.

Some the glass is excellent even in the older Mamiya makes, the 75-150 and 120 macro for example and the 210mm.

Phase has come a long way with these newer lenses. If the 35LS had been around in 2011 4th quarter I would have purchased it in a second and stayed away from the tech camera route. Even with the DF+ body.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

ddolde

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 08:09:51 pm »

As I had said before its too bad that Phase brought this lens to market so late as many photographers have already moved to the tech camera route in the search for a good wide.

Paul

[/quote]

i tried the tech cam route, sold it off didn't much care for the process. Hard to frame, no AF, no autoexposure, LCC required.  A major price to pay for sharp wide angle shots.  I'm buying the new 35mm soon. Sticking with the DF for now.

yashima

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 07:02:22 pm »

Hi Paul,

Have you seen this test

https://digitaltransitions.com/blog/dt-blog/28mm-32mm-test

To me, the 28mm D and 28mm LS are a world apart, I can't believe they are the same optical formula. 28LS is closer to the 32HR than the 28D to the 28LS.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 07:59:09 pm »

Hi.

The last time I checked both the 28D and 28LS have the same optical design in numbers of elements and groups of elements. However there may be better quality control in the build on the LS. I don't know if Schneider builds the LS and Mamiya the 28D.

Sadly it seems all of these high lenses have good and not so good copies, including the so highly vaunted 32mm rodenstock.  So DT may have had several to test with.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up