Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ProPhoto RGB workflow  (Read 5344 times)

maydavid

ProPhoto RGB workflow
« on: June 25, 2015, 12:59:12 am »

Firstly I hope this is NOT to much of a dumb question.

Have looked on the net for a solution to no avail.

I would very much like to shoot in ProPhoto RGB, I do not print myself and my end users insist on Adobe RGB.
My question is, if I shoot in ProPhoto RGB at what point in my workflow should the file be converted to Adobe RGB, my experience is that PP RGB looks very different to A RGB.

I shoot with a D800, capture RAW, process through ACR into Photoshop, I do not use Lightroom.

Thanks in advance for any helpful hints.

Regards

David May

hugowolf

Re: ProPhoto RGB workflow
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 01:32:25 am »

You cannot shoot with ProPhotoRGB. You can shoot raw and process using ProPhotoRGB as a working space, and then convert to whatever color space you want.

You would convert to the desired output space at the very end.

Brian A

maydavid

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 02:14:06 am »

Brian
Sorry I did know I could not shoot ProPhoto.

I have done what you say and coverted final image from PPRGB to Adobe RGB and the end result is very differnent colour. My final output is from a .PSD file to a .jpg, highest quality.

David May

Lundberg02

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 02:20:24 am »

Keep in mind that converting to aRGB from Pro Photo in Photoshop is relative colorimetric no matter what you select. You can soft proof to perceptual or print to perceptual. Also your converted relative aRGB is being seen on a perceptually rendered monitor whose space is sRGB unless you have a wide gamut monitor.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 09:58:54 am »

I have done what you say and coverted final image from PPRGB to Adobe RGB and the end result is very differnent colour.

Can you give a bit more detail please?  I mean: what are the two things you are comparing that have very different colour?

On most monitors, an image in ProPhoto RGB should look identical to an image in Adobe RGB.  If you are using relative colorimetric rendering during conversion, colours within Adobe RGB gamut should show little if any change.  The only difference might be on very wide-gamut monitors that highly saturated colours will be a little desaturated when converting from ProPhoto RGB to Adobe RGB.  If you see any other difference, something is probably going wrong with colour management.  Wrong setting somewhere, faulty profile...

EricV

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 01:00:23 pm »

Your camera allows you to choose a color space, but PPRGB is not one of the choices.  Your best option is AdobeRGB.  However, the camera color space only affects JPG images, not RAW images. 

When bringing the image into PS, it will be converted into your working color space, which is presumably PPRGB.  Depending on your PS settings, the program may ask you to confirm this choice of color space.  You are probably fine up to this point.

Before writing the image as a JPG, you want to convert the color space to AdobeRGB.  There are several ways to do this.  Make sure you choose the method which actually alters the image, changing the RGB numbers assigned to each pixel in order to maintain (approximately) the same color.  Do not choose the method which simply tags the image with the new color space or assigns the new color space to the image, without altering the pixel values.  This will make all the colors different and wrong.

hugowolf

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 02:49:19 pm »

I have done what you say and coverted final image from PPRGB to Adobe RGB and the end result is very differnent colour. My final output is from a .PSD file to a .jpg, highest quality.

How did you convert to AdobeRGB? Photoshop > Edit > Convert to Profile > Adobe RGB (1998) ?

There should be no perceivable color difference on most monitors, unless you are viewing with an app that isn't color managed.

Brian A

maydavid

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 05:35:08 pm »

Thanks to everyone that have replied to my request!

I will revisit my workflow with some fresh images.

David May

elolaugesen

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 08:08:36 am »

Photoshop CC2014 have a command "image Processor"  which will convert all the files to other formats and when a jpeg is chosen you can also convert to sRGB

seems to work?

did not know this command existed until I saw this thread and decided to find out how to automate profile conversion as I have quite a few files to convert.

elolaugesen

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 10:48:15 am »

re prophoto workflow.   one forum mentioned that the prophoto workflow required gamma 1.8 instead of the 2.2 used today for adobe RGB
Should I change my Eizo to use 1.8 instead?  I have tested the 1.8 and am not sure if I should change permanently.

cheers elo

D Fosse

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 11:40:52 am »

There is no need for the two to be the same, as long as you have a color managed process. Gamma / tone response curve is remapped from one color space into the other. So theoretically you can calibrate your monitor to any gamma you want and you won't see any difference. But you do want to stay close to native gamma so that the monitor performs well without severe adjustments.

Without color management you would see a difference. Here the file is gamma encoded, relying on the monitor to have the inverse response.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 03:18:49 pm »

re prophoto workflow.   one forum mentioned that the prophoto workflow required gamma 1.8 instead of the 2.2 used today for adobe RGB
Should I change my Eizo to use 1.8 instead?  
No! The gamma (TRC) of a display and working space are totally separate entities and do not need to match.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

elolaugesen

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 03:29:40 pm »

Thank you...   Elo
Pages: [1]   Go Up