Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black card technique  (Read 3463 times)

redoleary

Black card technique
« on: June 24, 2015, 07:07:49 pm »

I did some searching and couldn't find  any discussion about the black card technique, are there any BCT devotees here? I am a fan, I like the look and enjoy the process. Anyone have any tips or tricks that may differ from the standard technique?

EXAMPLE

gazwas

Re: Black card technique
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 07:37:21 am »

Please explain as I have no idea what it is?
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

spidermike

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 08:00:13 am »

I am not sure how you can adapt the 'standard technique' - it is nothing other than dodging in camera using a piece of card. Someone I know uses his hand or any straight-edge (credit card, key fob etc)
Although I think the black card technique is a nice skill to have in the event you have minimal gear with you, the real alternative is a graduated neutral density filter.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 08:04:01 am »

could you explain what this technique means.  I *think* I understand it, but I want to make sure.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

MarkJohnson

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 08:31:18 am »

I learnt it from Simon Norfolk in the context of long night or twilight exposures, moving a piece of black cinefoil up and down to 'dodge' e.g. a sky that's a bit too light. Works a treat. Hard to use a graduated ND filter in that scenario.
Mark J

sniper

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 11:00:39 am »

It usually referes to "in camera" dodging.  Masking part of the image with a black card (or other object) during a long exposure so it receives less light.
You will often need a neutral density filter unless your shooting at low light to get exposures long enough to do it.

redoleary

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 04:50:03 pm »

Please explain as I have no idea what it is?

Like the others have said it's basically in camera dodging. I typically use a 6 stop ND, spot meter the sky, spot meter the foreground and expose for the foreground. Then I use a piece of black felt and physically block the light from the sky part of the photo for the bulk of the exposure then remove the card to give the sky what it needs, ie: sky metered @ 1s foreground @10s I would compose the shot set exposure for 10s and hold/gently shake the black card in front of the lens for 9s then remove it for the last 1s.  It's not magic but it does take some practice, and I only have one grad ND and it never seems to be the right one  :)

sierraman

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 08:51:34 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up