Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What happens if you use Hasselblad HVD-90x viewfinder on H4/5X w 60/80MP back?  (Read 3534 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers

Hasselblad sell three 90º viewfinders for the H4X and the H5X.

The HV 90x for use with film backs.

The HVD 90x for use with digital backs with sensors 36 x 48mm or smaller.

The HVD 90x-II for use with digital backs with larger sensors, such as the 40.2 x 53.7mm sensor in current 60 and 80MP backs.

All the H4X bodies I have seen for sale have the HVD 90x viewfinder for smaller sensors and I want to use the body with an 80MP back.

What is the downside from using the "smaller" HVD 90x viewfinder with an 80MP back?

Will it just mean I will only see the area of a 36 x 48mm sensor or will I be able to see the limits of the 80MP sensor?

Hasselblad also make a range of focusing screens but I have not been able to find a full list. Some screens can have senor limits marked on them.

What would happen if I use the the "smaller" HVD 90x viewfinder with an 80MP back and a screen marked out for the 80MP sensor?

I want to be able to see the limits of the 80MP sensor and ideally avoid the cost of the "correct" HVD 90x-II viewfinder unless there is a good reason to buy it.

I am buying the gear remotely and any assistance would be appreciated.
Roger

Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/

Hasselblad sell three 90º viewfinders for the H4X and the H5X.

The HV 90x for use with film backs.

The HVD 90x for use with digital backs with sensors 36 x 48mm or smaller.

The HVD 90x-II for use with digital backs with larger sensors, such as the 40.2 x 53.7mm sensor in current 60 and 80MP backs.

All the H4X bodies I have seen for sale have the HVD 90x viewfinder for smaller sensors and I want to use the body with an 80MP back.

What is the downside from using the "smaller" HVD 90x viewfinder with an 80MP back?

Will it just mean I will only see the area of a 36 x 48mm sensor or will I be able to see the limits of the 80MP sensor?

Hasselblad also make a range of focusing screens but I have not been able to find a full list. Some screens can have senor limits marked on them.

What would happen if I use the the "smaller" HVD 90x viewfinder with an 80MP back and a screen marked out for the 80MP sensor?

I want to be able to see the limits of the 80MP sensor and ideally avoid the cost of the "correct" HVD 90x-II viewfinder unless there is a good reason to buy it.

I am buying the gear remotely and any assistance would be appreciated.
Roger

Roger -

Don't buy the HVD finder. I believe the HVD Finder will show the full view with any digital back (though is just shy of showing the full view with 645 film). However, the framing is off if you are using a Leaf or Phase One digital back (as opposed to, say, an H5D-60). You need either an HV-90X or an HV-90X II. The only difference I am aware of between the 90X and 90X II is that the 90X II will display the True Focus icon in the viewfinder when engaged (True Focus still works with the HV-90X, it just won't give you the icon that tells you it is engaged).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

gck303

Does the specific viewing screen not provide the cropping? Afterall, the later screens are slightly reduced size, when compared to the earlier film ones.

I would suggest that any difference is the prism either lies with the magnificiation, or electronics.

My suggestion would be to get the HVD90x prism and see what happens. You can always return it if it is not right.

George

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/

Does the specific viewing screen not provide the cropping? Afterall, the later screens are slightly reduced size, when compared to the earlier film ones.

I would suggest that any difference is the prism either lies with the magnificiation, or electronics.

My suggestion would be to get the HVD90x prism and see what happens. You can always return it if it is not right.

George

Regardless of the reason for the difference, the fact is the framing is different (off) if you are using 3rd party 60/80 megapixel digital backs with the HVD90x prism. So, I can't find a benefit in seeing what will happen George, since what will happen is the framing will be off!  ;)

HV90x or Hv90x-II would be the way to go (with 3rd party digital back).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss
Pages: [1]   Go Up